S4 freezes after being charged

lazn

Reaction score
Mine does too, but only for about a min

Mine freezes on unplug as well, but only for about a min. If I wait it comes back to full responsiveness.

It happens every time with mine, and is very annoying as when you get a call you want to unplug it to not be tied to your charger, but you have to answer then unplug if you want to get the call.

I do not have any of the mentioned apps installed. Though I do have a flashlight app, (and a few games) otherwise a pretty standard setup, I will try uninstalling things to see if any of them are the culprit.

vvulture

Reaction score
I recently purchased a S4 Mini DUOS and its doing the same thing.. When charging, the phone gets very warm and if i press the power or home button to wake up the phone, i am greeted with the lock screen but the phone is completely un-responsive. Battery removal is the only remedy. Also tried latest firmware and going back to original firmware to no avail. Going back for warranty :(

vvulture

Reaction score
Ok.. I have an update.

I found the cause but no remedy...

Mine works fine if i don't use a MicroSD card above 32gb in capacity. As soon as i put in my 64gb it all goes to ****.. The card tested 100% ok in H2TESTW program and works fine in other phones...
However, the 64gb works fine if i have no data on it. It's only when i have a lot of data on it that it plays up. The 32gb is fine with the same amount of data on it.

Phone sent back for warranty... hoping its a defective phone and not a design flaw...

Last edited:

PinkPanther1955

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S4
OK - I have a Galaxy S4 as well - with the same issue - the only way besides taking out the battery I have found is to hold down the power button several mins and the light will go off - then it will power back on my holding button as usual. It locks up when charged 5 out of 7 days a week . Crazy and very annoying! Also looking for solution - it has not always done this - it did not start doing until after a year or so of having it.

PinkPanther1955

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S4
UPDATE - I have discovered if you put your phone into SAFE mode at night during charge - it does not lock up. To put into safe mode, Power off phone, turn back on and hold down the VOL DOWN button until phone turns on - will say SAFE MODE in bottom corner of screen. This essentially turns off most APS you have downloaded but your phone still works.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
UPDATE - I have discovered if you put your phone into SAFE mode at night during charge - it does not lock up. To put into safe mode, Power off phone, turn back on and hold down the VOL DOWN button until phone turns on - will say SAFE MODE in bottom corner of screen. This essentially turns off most APS you have downloaded but your phone still works.

Very interesting find. I often suggest Safe Mode as a troubleshooting method but have never considered it for dealing with your phone's symptoms.

Can you try something else for me next charge time, please? Instead of going into Safe Mode simply power the phone off completely and then plug it in and allow to charge to 100%. If the phone will charge while off it should power up normally. If it powers up on its own while charging I'm curious to see of the locking up still occurs.

Then one more test. Reboot the phone right before charging and place it immediately on charge once you do. Don't run anything or even unlock it. Let's see if it locks up in that scenario.

Thanks and good luck.