S3 Random Shut Down

Wopback

Reaction score
Apologies if this was already posted, I couldn't find anything.

I will turn the screen off my s3 by hitting the power button. When I go to turn it back on, the screen stays black. I try to turn it back on by holding the power button, but the only thing turning it back on is a battery pull.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is it common? It doesn't happen a lot, maybe once every 2 weeks.

Really looking for why this is happening and not "maybes".,......thanks in advance

wildbill86

Reaction score
I don't have a galaxy s 3 I have only been reading these posts to see if I want to upgrade to one. I had a similar issue with my d2g when it was new, it would reboot when unlocking, I ran an sbf file and put it back to stock because I had rooted hoping that would fix the problem first (it obviously didnt) but after sbf'ing it never did it again, I re rooted and have had no issues for over a year. So what I'm suggesting is that I think sometimes during initial programing things don't always go right on androids. I would try a factory data reset to see if that solves the problem first.

bobf71

Reaction score
I have had this happen a few times as well. It usually happens to me when I have a lot of stuff running at once.

Me.

Reaction score
From what I know, the reboots started two updates ago, when they updated to fix a security issue. I got my phone about a month before this most recent update and mine would reset 5 to 6 times a week. After getting the new one, it reset about an hour after I installed it but has not had any further resets since then. Phones been solid for about a week and a half now.

OP
Wopback

Wopback

Reaction score
Yeah mine only does once every 2 weeks or so, so its not a huge deal.

I just wanted to see how common the issue was.

I would hate to exchange the phone and find different or more issues with a new one...

Reaction score
Mine has done this a few times. Most recently it happened yesterday. I have the most recent update. Doesn't happen enough to bother me too much.

music life

Reaction score
happened to me once. No idea why but i had to pull the battery and everything seemed fine.

wouldnt mind to know why. but as long as nothing is wrong i guess im only bothered by it when it happens

OP
Wopback

Wopback

Reaction score
music life said:
happened to me once. No idea why but i had to pull the battery and everything seemed fine.

wouldnt mind to know why. but as long as nothing is wrong i guess im only bothered by it when it happens

In the same boat. Would be nice to know.

Searched the web and found a lot of "maybes" like; happens if you use 2 batteries, when certain apps are ready for update, too many apps running in background, and cache needs clearing.

Oh well.....guess I'll find out after I get the S4...lol

tty

Reaction score
I experienced this problem after I downloaded one of the updates (before the most recent update). It happened to me very frequently (2-3 times a day). I do not have this issue anymore after most recent update. If most recent update could not fix it, you may try a factory reset (try to backup your phone first).

OP
Wopback

Wopback

Reaction score
Well I'm going on a week. No reboot or answer yet so on why, so I'm not too worried....

Update: so I finally found a logical reason on a galaxy Q and A website. Whenever the battery connector loses touch with the phones connector, as minimal as it can be, the phone will shut off. This often happens if there is pressure when the phone is in your pocket. Also another battery, especially after market can cause random shutdowns. Often times a cleaning of the connector with a simple pencil eraser will help the problem if it is constant.

The times this has happened to me reflects the pocket situation.