Issues with phone freezing (battery pull)

TDevilsG

Reaction score
Hello everyone, got the s3 a couple of weeks ago and I love it. By far the best phone I have had in a long time. I've only run into one issue; the phone has frozen on occasion when trying to get out of 'hibernation' and although the soft keys will light up, when pressing the power button the phone will not turn on. Then I am forced to remove the battery and put it back in, which is the only way it works again. This has happened over seven times since getting the phone in early November. Is this a common problem with the s3? A software issue maybe? I am in the process of replacing but am wondering if I will run into the same issue with my next phone. Thank you for the help

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I've had the s3 since release day and today is the first time I be had to do a battery pull... Almost 5 months... I've never had an Android device as stable as this thing.

Escobar

Reaction score
TDevilsG said:
Hello everyone, got the s3 a couple of weeks ago and I love it. By far the best phone I have had in a long time. I've only run into one issue; the phone has frozen on occasion when trying to get out of 'hibernation' and although the soft keys will light up, when pressing the power button the phone will not turn on. Then I am forced to remove the battery and put it back in, which is the only way it works again. This has happened over seven times since getting the phone in early November. Is this a common problem with the s3? A software issue maybe? I am in the process of replacing but am wondering if I will run into the same issue with my next phone. Thank you for the help

Do you use go sms pro? I use it and have had this problem when receiving multiple messages at once.

OP
T

TDevilsG

Reaction score
Do you use go sms pro? I use it and have had this problem when receiving multiple messages at once.

Nope, don't use that. The problem happens pretty randomly for me. I got my replacement phone in today so I guess I am going to use that moving forth

steeletown

Reaction score
I had the problem I called Verizon tech support they told me to try a fdr and it hasn't happened since.

steeletown

Reaction score
It would freeze at least once a week and my apps would constantly forceclose.

Wopback

Reaction score
I had a similar issue and posted a previous thread on this also. After weeks of web searching and calling support. Here's what I found....

Whenever the battery connector loses touch with the phones connector, as minimal as it can be, the phone will shut off. This often happens if there is pressure when the phone is in your pocket. Also another battery, especially after market can cause random shutdowns. Often times a cleaning of the connector with a simple pencil eraser will help the problem if it is constant.The times this has happened to me reflects the pocket situation. Only fix of course is a battery pull.....

It may or may not be related. Hope it helps....

OP
T

TDevilsG

Reaction score
I had a similar issue and posted a previous thread on this also. After weeks of web searching and calling support. Here's what I found....

Whenever the battery connector loses touch with the phones connector, as minimal as it can be, the phone will shut off. This often happens if there is pressure when the phone is in your pocket. Also another battery, especially after market can cause random shutdowns. Often times a cleaning of the connector with a simple pencil eraser will help the problem if it is constant.The times this has happened to me reflects the pocket situation. Only fix of course is a battery pull.....

It may or may not be related. Hope it helps....

Thanks you very much. I too thought the problem is the battery. I have swapped the stock with hyperion on occasion (got stock in there now) and I'm wondering if that contributed to the problem in some form. Anyway I am going to start using the replacement phone tomorrow, hopefully it works alright.

Wopback

Reaction score
TDevilsG said:
Thanks you very much. I too thought the problem is the battery. I have swapped the stock with hyperion on occasion (got stock in there now) and I'm wondering if that contributed to the problem in some form. Anyway I am going to start using the replacement phone tomorrow, hopefully it works alright.

Good luck with the new phone.....mine still does it every "blue moon" (2nd phone too).....nothing major though....

Wopback

Reaction score
Well it did it to me again today. More than usual. I still believe it's the battery, but I got my phone at Costco and I'm still in the 90 days, so I said what the heck, I went and exchanged for a new phone.

I'll see how this one is and post back in a couple weeks.........

kaykay235

Reaction score

mine has frozen a handful of times and i know for sure a few of them were after receiving go sms text messages.. not sure if it is related or not.

OP
T

TDevilsG

Reaction score
Just to give everyone an update, I got a new phone through Verizon but to be honest it was in even worse condition. So I sent that one back, factory reset my original phone and am hoping I don't run into any issues.

Wopback

Reaction score
Well it did it to me again today. More than usual. I still believe it's the battery, but I got my phone at Costco and I'm still in the 90 days, so I said what the heck, I went and exchanged for a new phone.

I'll see how this one is and post back in a couple weeks.........

Had it for about a week and no issues. Phone actually feels smoother.

From what I'm reading, I really feel it has something to do with the battery connectors on the phone.

Anyhow, I'm happy so far!

tremonti

Reaction score
This is exactly why I'm scared to jump from iPhone 4s and try the G3. I want too. Love or hate....but just don't hear these kind of problems with apple as much. Might wait for the g4!?!?