s3 extended battery

Newps

Reaction score
Yes, it is a big deal, to me anyway. I am coming from an HTC Rezound. The extended battery for the Rezound made a big difference in the size / shape /weight of the phone, and I did not like it. The good news is, so far, the S3 with the OEM battery is doing better than the Rezound with the extended battery.

I really like how slim and light weight this phone is. I almost went with the Razr Maxx HD, just to have a bigger battery and still be (fairly) slim and light weight.

My wife had the T-Bolt and I had the big extended battery on there for her. That was big. I have the Hyperion 4200 on my S3 and it is much nicer and slimmer than the T-Bolt. If you want more battery capacity on your S3 you will have a bigger phone, that's inescapable. I am averaging 20 hours to get down to 20% with this battery.

tc1

Reaction score
My wife had the T-Bolt and I had the big extended battery on there for her. That was big. I have the Hyperion 4200 on my S3 and it is much nicer and slimmer than the T-Bolt. If you want more battery capacity on your S3 you will have a bigger phone, that's inescapable. I am averaging 20 hours to get down to 20% with this battery.

Same with the rezound, those batteries are short and square. So any extra makes the battery way thicker.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

tc1

Reaction score
To those with an extended battery.. Does the NFC work?

tc1

Reaction score
They will only work if the extended battery has NFC

I know, I mean does a 3rd party nfc chip work just as well as an oem?

I wonder because I had and HTC rezound and bought a 3rd party battery and my phone seemed to reboot after that.

Last edited:

MailboxHead

Reaction score
Just got the Hyperion with NFC today. After all the Sandy stress this weekend, I figured I need to have a spare battery anyways so might as well make it an extended one. It was only $35 on Amazon, so not bad. I'm going to use it for the next week or so and see how it goes. Profile wise it's not too bad. It's a little bulkier than my phone is in its case but not horribly so. I'll definitely be going case-less when it's on though. And the back matches really well, it's nice not to have Verizon's branding on it.

Long term I won't be using it for every day, adds just a bit too much for me. But on travel days or long weekends or when I know I'll need to ride the battery hard it'll be nice to have this to pop in.

tc1

Reaction score
Just got the Hyperion with NFC today. After all the Sandy stress this weekend, I figured I need to have a spare battery anyways so might as well make it an extended one. It was only $35 on Amazon, so not bad. I'm going to use it for the next week or so and see how it goes. Profile wise it's not too bad. It's a little bulkier than my phone is in its case but not horribly so. I'll definitely be going case-less when it's on though. And the back matches really well, it's nice not to have Verizon's branding on it.

Long term I won't be using it for every day, adds just a bit too much for me. But on travel days or long weekends or when I know I'll need to ride the battery hard it'll be nice to have this to pop in.

Does the case affect the pictures you take?

I ask because one of the reviewers said that since it sticks out, it causes the flash to produce a halo like effect around pictures.

I was about to buy one until I read that.

MailboxHead

Reaction score
First time posting from my phone with pictures so bear with me. First image taken with the case on, and some shadowing in the corner by the green guy.

View attachment 57948

Second image with the back off and less shadowing. I find that I don't use the flash too often on my phone, I usually turn it off anyways. And this is more of a plan B not every day battery, so not a deal killer for me but it's a good point and I can see your concern. Hope this helps.

View attachment 57949

ETA: I don't know why those pictures are sideways. Oh well :)

tc1

Reaction score
First time posting from my phone with pictures so bear with me. First image taken with the case on, and some shadowing in the corner by the green guy.

View attachment 57948

Second image with the back off and less shadowing. I find that I don't use the flash too often on my phone, I usually turn it off anyways. And this is more of a plan B not every day battery, so not a deal killer for me but it's a good point and I can see your concern. Hope this helps.

View attachment 57949

ETA: I don't know why those pictures are sideways. Oh well :)

I take a lot of pictures and videos so it would be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for posting the pics, it helped show what I was worried about.

I wonder if it is going to be any extended battery case that will cause this or just the Hyperion one?

MailboxHead

Reaction score
Just for full comparison here are two without flash. This one with the back:

View attachment 57952

This one without:

View attachment 57953

I'm guessing yes, all the backs will have that problem from the images I looked at. All the cameras and flashes are sunken in. Hopefully a slim will come out though. That's still my first choice as well, and but for less than $30 (I finally looked up what I actually paid) this is a good plan b for me to keep around as my spare.