rooting the thumderbolt for first time

ashenfang

Reaction score
I would like to root my TB and this would be my first root ever so I have a few questions.

Does rooting open your phone up to any outside security risks?

After rooting do you have to reinstall all your applications?

Can you still use launchers like EX?

My main reason for wanting to root is
Battery life
Remove bloatware
Teather via Usb

Can someone point me to a respectable place where I can read tutorials and download the necessary software to root? I plan to also root my wife's Droid 2 as well.

Are there any drawbacks to rooting?

wooddale

Reaction score
I would like to root my TB and this would be my first root ever so I have a few questions.

Does rooting open your phone up to any outside security risks?

After rooting do you have to reinstall all your applications?

Can you still use launchers like EX?

My main reason for wanting to root is
Battery life
Remove bloatware
Teather via Usb

Can someone point me to a respectable place where I can read tutorials and download the necessary software to root? I plan to also root my wife's Droid 2 as well.

Are there any drawbacks to rooting?
There are two ways to root your TB. The step by step adb way which is the harder way but if you do it that way you will learn more of what rooting is all about. The other is the easy root 3 step method. both methods will root your TB. You can find both methods on this forum. As far as your D2 there is a forum just like this for D2 again there is the adb method and there is the Z4 root which is very easy to do. As far as battery life that is debatable some guys say its better with rooting others not.All depends on how you use your phone and with the TB weather your in 3G or 4G area. Removing bloatware is a big plus if you download a blurless Rom. Stock rooted is the same as stock. You dont have to root to USB tether. When you root you can get wireless tether. Which is the same as Verizons hot spots except its free. either way there is plenty of info on the forums. Advantages of rooting I guess you can say freedom. You can do what you want not what Verizon wants you too. Good Luck

No it doesnt open your phone to any different security risks

Draw backs voids your waranty but you can always sbf if you have to take in for repairs

Last edited:

spartangtr

Reaction score
Draw backs voids your waranty but you can always sbf if you have to take in for repairs

Didn't know there was an SBF out there for the Thunderbolt yet. It's really the only thing holding me back from doing it. I used to root my DX because it was so easy to go back to stock. Know where I can find an SBF file and some instructions?

wooddale

Reaction score

Didn't know there was an SBF out there for the Thunderbolt yet. It's really the only thing holding me back from doing it. I used to root my DX because it was so easy to go back to stock. Know where I can find an SBF file and some instructions?

The thread is wright here (Need to unroot put stock image back). The PG05IMGzip it will get you back to stock unrooted. You have to put it on root of your sd but get rid of any others first I learned the hard way. But got help from guys here on the forum