Rooting Question

pchakmak

Reaction score
Im new to to this whole rooting/unlocking the bootloader thing. I've looked at Wug's toolkit to root and it looks pretty easy. I'm a little intimidated by this and dont want to screw up my phone. I've read some things and my eyes started to glaze over. How much do I need to understand before I root my phone?

captdroid

Reaction score
Im new to to this whole rooting/unlocking the bootloader thing. I've looked at Wug's toolkit to root and it looks pretty easy. I'm a little intimidated by this and dont want to screw up my phone. I've read some things and my eyes started to glaze over. How much do I need to understand before I root my phone?

Read Read Read and then read some more :) Once you feel comfortable take the plunge. If you get stuck along the way ask questions. Folks here will help you out.

OP
P

pchakmak

Reaction score
Read Read Read and then read some more :) Once you feel comfortable take the plunge. If you get stuck along the way ask questions. Folks here will help you out.

Im tempted to just take the plunge right now. This toolkit from Wug says it has step-by-step explanation. Could I really screw that up?? Haha..

captdroid

Reaction score
Im tempted to just take the plunge right now. This toolkit from Wug says it has step-by-step explanation. Could I really screw that up?? Haha..

From what I have read WUG development is good stuff. Give it a shot! He says it's step by step and automatic then it should just work :biggrin: And if it don't then just relax and don't do anything drastic, stop and ask questions...

Note: I just checked out that thread and folks are reporting issues with Wugs scripts... looks like you might want to hold off using his stuff to accomplish root until he updates/fixes.

There is another thread around here that is step by step to unlock and root... it's rather painless really :)

Here it is... I followed sbenson instruction... good stuff worked perfectly for me :) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...-how-unlock-bootloader-root-galaxy-nexus.html

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I was as tentative as you when I first rooted my OG Droid. "What if I screw up? skip a step?" and all that. It really is hassle free and painless. Almost like a shot...I guess...just not as quick:p

As Capt said, read. Understand it and once you feel comfortable just go for it. Just make sure you follow each step and make sure you have everything necessary BEFORE starting the process. Like Capt, I used sbenson's method and it was easy. If you aren't comfortable yet, think about it a couple days. Think about the benefits of rooting vs leaving it stock. If it seems like it isn't for you, step back into your comfort zone and don't root, leave it stock it's still a great device. If you ever go back to pondering root, the EDUs will always be there. And just remember, we're all here to help you out.

OP
P

pchakmak

Reaction score
I was as tentative as you when I first rooted my OG Droid. "What if I screw up? skip a step?" and all that. It really is hassle free and painless. Almost like a shot...I guess...just not as quick:p

As Capt said, read. Understand it and once you feel comfortable just go for it. Just make sure you follow each step and make sure you have everything necessary BEFORE starting the process. Like Capt, I used sbenson's method and it was easy. If you aren't comfortable yet, think about it a couple days. Think about the benefits of rooting vs leaving it stock. If it seems like it isn't for you, step back into your comfort zone and don't root, leave it stock it's still a great device. If you ever go back to pondering root, the EDUs will always be there. And just remember, we're all here to help you out.

Thanks man. Appreciate the insight. Have you heard about Wug's method? Capt said there were some issues?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks man. Appreciate the insight. Have you heard about Wug's method? Capt said there were some issues?
Wug's is the one-click method correct? I forget now, read too many threads and things outside the forum.

Like I said I personally used sbenson's method and didn't run into any problems. I forwarded that thread to a few other members and they didn't run into any problems either. It may not be one-click solution, but it's been proven to work without any problems.

captdroid

Reaction score

At least a couple people in Wugs thread reported issues using his automated script method. As desymond said sbenson method and instruction works. I also read in that thread an update from Wugs is expected... so maybe wait for the update if you want the one click.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I would read through the original root and unlock thread and watch the dmx videos. That way you can see what other people have run in to and that should eliminate any surprises. Like others have said, no matter what you run in to, the peeps on this forum will get you thru it!

Se7enLC

Reaction score

In my opinion, the most important part of doing something like this is understanding what each step of the process is doing. It's not easy to do, because most "howto" topics don't ever explain it - they just give instructions that say "type exactly this command".

If you try to understand what each step is doing, and what each command is doing, it will make sense. If you skip a step, you'll realize it and be like "OH, of course, I didn't remount /system as read/write, so that's why I can't write to it!". And if something goes wrong, you'll know it immediately and not just blindly continue with the steps.

For that reason, I'm against things like "one click root", and especially the apps that can root for you. It is a very steep learning curve, though. For the most part, this phone seems "Safe". I don't believe you'll be able to brick it like you can with some phones - there will pretty much always be some way you can get back to a working condition if you have the right tools and knowledge. The worst-case scenario is that you will lose all your data. And that will be an easy mistake to make, as there's not even an SD card that is safe from being wiped.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Conceptually, unlocking/rooting on this phone is simple and straightforward. *Conceptually*. This is not a list of commands.

1). Unlock the bootloader. (use fastboot command to unlock bootloader).
2). Install a replacement recovery console (ClockworkMod) - this allows you to use ADB with root access and install anything you want from a zip file
3). Install su (binary file to gain superuser rights) and Superuser.apk (Android app to manage which applications are allowed to use su)
4). Delete the file boot-from-recovery.p. That file runs whenever you boot into android and will re-flash your recovery console back to the stock one. If you don't remove it, you'll have to keep doing step 2 over and over again every time you need that console.

So it seems simple at this level, but there are a lot of commands involved in doing it. Hope this helps some!

x25064

Reaction score
Use the "super boot" method that is described in the stickies here under the development section. You will get the most troubleshooting support because it is described in depth here and that's how most of us droidforums members rooted our handsets.

Rzm1986

Reaction score
I was intimidated when I first rooted my OG Droid but just read a lot and follow directions. Once you understand the process its simple and you'll be able to do it in your sleep

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

moot

Reaction score
Will I loose all my app data when I root? I have a ton of text messages I want saved, and haven't rooted because I'm not sure what will happen to them. :(

x25064

Reaction score
Will I loose all my app data when I root? I have a ton of text messages I want saved, and haven't rooted because I'm not sure what will happen to them. :(

Yes. You will lose everything like a factory reset. When you sign in again your apps will be redownloaded. Forward all your texts to your email, I'd suggest.