Rooting Question

captdroid

Reaction score
I think there are apps in the market that will backup your text messages. Just make sure you store any backups off the phone since unlocking will wipe everything.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I recommend SMS Backup+ for backing up text messages. If you want to save anything else, just transfer them to your PC and you'll be good.

moot

Reaction score
I recommend SMS Backup+ for backing up text messages. If you want to save anything else, just transfer them to your PC and you'll be good.

Thanks everyone! I'll take a look when I get home. I prb. won't be rooting until cm 9 comes out, but it's never too early to start learning. :)

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'll take a look when I get home. I prb. won't be rooting until cm 9 comes out, but it's never too early to start learning. :)

While the CM team does very good work. There are some pretty awesome roms out right now. I've used both the Axiom and Android Revolution roms and they are completely stable and really enhance the Nexus tremendously.

I see no reason to wait til CM releases their rom, its worth trying what is currently out there and this way when CM9 is officially released you have a comparison.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

moot

Reaction score
While the CM team does very good work. There are some pretty awesome roms out right now. I've used both the Axiom and Android Revolution roms and they are completely stable and really enhance the Nexus tremendously.

I see no reason to wait til CM releases their rom, its worth trying what is currently out there and this way when CM9 is officially released you have a comparison.

Thanks for the recommendations! I would assume you'd loose your app data switching between roms, as well (Im reading that moving between roms requires a full reset)? Saved game files, stock text messaging apps, gallery photos, etc is kinda holding be back from switching around roms, atm. I never understood how people were able to go back and forth between rooms so often, and not be frustrated with loosing their data.

x25064

Reaction score
This is because we all use an app from the market called "titanium backup" which saves the data of every app, the app itself, data from the phone system, and the link to the market. All kf these options are customisable and interchangeable. You'll want to purchase the licensed version because that will automatically restore apps with the touch of a button, as where the free version requires you to manually approve every app you restore. With the rate you will be using this vital tool, it is really pennies-on-the-dollar.

Naturally, to restore these apps you musn't let your Google account restore your apps upon first startup. Don't worry about the market not recognizing them, after your first initial reboot after restoration, everything will be as it once was. Really a smooth process just time consuming to wait while things restore. I usually flash at night when I have a good 2 hours to dedicate to my phone explicitly.

bthartley

Reaction score
I rooted last night using Wug's toolkit. Took a couple of tries getting the drivers loaded but after that it was smooth and easy.

moot

Reaction score
This is because we all use an app from the market called "titanium backup" which saves the data of every app, the app itself, data from the phone system, and the link to the market. All kf these options are customisable and interchangeable. You'll want to purchase the licensed version because that will automatically restore apps with the touch of a button, as where the free version requires you to manually approve every app you restore. With the rate you will be using this vital tool, it is really pennies-on-the-dollar.

Naturally, to restore these apps you musn't let your Google account restore your apps upon first startup. Don't worry about the market not recognizing them, after your first initial reboot after restoration, everything will be as it once was. Really a smooth process just time consuming to wait while things restore. I usually flash at night when I have a good 2 hours to dedicate to my phone explicitly.

Ah, I see! I'm going to give rooting a try and play around with a few roms! Thanks for the advice!

x25064

Reaction score
Ah, I see! I'm going to give rooting a try and play around with a few roms! Thanks for the advice!

If you mess up, which you may as we all have at one point, dont freak out. Take a deep breath and start searching the forums or on google. The nice thing about android phones is that its really REALLY hard to fully brick them beyond restoration. They can pretty much always be recovered and fixed, it just might take some time and know-how.

vicky1377

Reaction score
Will I loose all my app data when I root? I have a ton of text messages I want saved, and haven't rooted because I'm not sure what will happen to them. :(

Use smsbackup and restore app to back up SMS messages. I unlocked the boot loader I lost the data but all the apps I installed were there. I kept stock rom and rooted so I can continue getting ota updates and happy with stock from so far. I posted a link in battery drains fast thread. It is phenomenal. The guy is from UK awesome work he did. I loved it and donated some for his beer too:)