Rooting official Gingerbread 4.6.4

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to root our new 4.6.4 software?

I also am wondering this. I upgraded to gingerbread using the one posted here on the forums. I've heard that people have upgraded from 3.8.7 rooted to 4.6.4 and have remained rooted. But I was at 3.8.7 not rooted, can I use aroot to root 4.6.4?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I would just buy the team black hat app and use the 3.8.7 sbf to get back to the most recent froyo update and then install the rooted 4.6.4 gingerbread update.

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
I would just buy the team black hat app and use the 3.8.7 sbf to get back to the most recent froyo update and then install the rooted 4.6.4 gingerbread update.

Arg... too much work to go back and do all that... if I wanted to do all that, then I could just root 3.8.7 then applied the update and kept root.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Has anyone been able to root our new 4.6.4 software?

I also am wondering this. I upgraded to gingerbread using the one posted here on the forums. I've heard that people have upgraded from 3.8.7 rooted to 4.6.4 and have remained rooted. But I was at 3.8.7 not rooted, can I use aroot to root 4.6.4?

If you could point us to someone who updated with the OTA update and remained rooted, I'd like to see it. All of the reports I've read from people is that they've lost root. I've seen a few things about random program that are supposed to require root still being able to function, but no major programs that constitute the bulk of why users root. The only people that I'm aware of with root on 4.6.4 are those who installed TBH's rooted update.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I wouldn't be surprised if its quite a while before it actually gets rooted. That's why if root is important to you, to just go with TBH.

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
If you could point us to someone who updated with the OTA update and remained rooted, I'd like to see it. All of the reports I've read from people is that they've lost root. I've seen a few things about random program that are supposed to require root still being able to function, but no major programs that constitute the bulk of why users root. The only people that I'm aware of with root on 4.6.4 are those who installed TBH's rooted update.

I never said people that OTA updated kept root. I said people who used the update.zip that was posted on this forum kept root.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

I never said people that OTA updated kept root. I said people who used the update.zip that was posted on this forum kept root.

The update.zip posted on this forum is the OTA update. That's why I was asking. I haven't seen anyone here who was able to maintain root with that update.zip, so I was wondering where you saw that at. If there's some sort of secret to it, I want to know. :)

Kaos2flo

Reaction score

The update.zip posted on this forum is the OTA update. That's why I was asking. I haven't seen anyone here who was able to maintain root with that update.zip, so I was wondering where you saw that at. If there's some sort of secret to it, I want to know. :)

Haha my apologies. The one posted here is the OTA. But I read somewhere that google123 applied the 4.6.4 update from rooted 3.8.7 and remained rooted. Maybe I read it wrong? I tried looking for the post but could not find it.

kjjb0204

Reaction score

I think the only way to have root with GB right now on the DP is to use the TBH app and load that way. Applying the zip manually or downloading direct over the phone will both break root.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I think the only way to have root with GB right now on the DP is to use the TBH app and load that way. Applying the zip manually or downloading direct over the phone will both break root.

Yeah, that's what I was nicely trying to get at. :)

google123

Reaction score

Haha my apologies. The one posted here is the OTA. But I read somewhere that google123 applied the 4.6.4 update from rooted 3.8.7 and remained rooted. Maybe I read it wrong? I tried looking for the post but could not find it.

I was in fact rooted @ 3.8.7 when I installed GB but it broke root. I have since tried GingerBreak, Z4 root, SuperOneClick, aroot and none have worked so far. Still looking for a solution so I can go back to my 120 screen density n underclocked cpu.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

OP
R

rafeee2

Reaction score
Still looking for a solution so I can go back to my 120 screen density n underclocked cpu.

What's the benefit of the 120 screen density?
And how much battery saving do u get with the under-clocking? & Which app do u use?
Thanks

google123

Reaction score
Still looking for a solution so I can go back to my 120 screen density n underclocked cpu.

What's the benefit of the 120 screen density?
And how much battery saving do u get with the under-clocking? & Which app do u use?
Thanks

The reason I like using 120 density as opposed to 160 default is because for all the awesomeness that the Pro brought, it brought a crappy half VGA resolution with it. Dropping the density setting allows more desktop real estate on the screen, if you will. Basically it makes everything smaller and allows it to fit more on the screen while still being legible. I'll post before/after pics when I get it rooted so you can see. I like higher resolutions on my screens, unfortunately Motorola saddled this phone with a lower res screen. I know the Samsung Jet has a same-size screen (3.1") running WVGA res (800*480) so I really really wish Moto had gone with something similar. Here's hoping for beefed up specs on a Droid Pro 2 :)

I use setCPU to keep my phone running at 800/300. I have never had any lag or slowing down as I use LaucherPro. Basically, 800max and also when the screen is off I keep it at 300/300. With this, along with using the extended battery, I usually average well over 24 hours medium usage on my phone. I keep wifi on all the time as well.

OP
R

rafeee2

Reaction score
You've got to be kidding; WiFi always on and u get 24 hours? How do u have the WiFi power setting set: Shut down when screen turns off, never when plugged in, or never? Do u keep your data (3G) connection always on too?