Rooted, Stock ROM with custom recovery (cwm). Can I accept the OTA?

OCDroid

Reaction score
4.0.2 stock, rooted verizon with clockwork installed. After poking around it looks like maybe the custom recovery is going to mess things up if I let this ota do it's thing. What should I do? Unroot and flash a stock recovery, then let it take the ota? BTW, setting my homescreens up and restoring backups are the main reason I hate flashing roms, is there any way around wiping during this process? I know there's been a stock-ish rooted 4.0.4 build kicking around from XDA, maybe that;s a better option. Has anyone confirmed that it's the same as the OTA?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can fast boot the stock recovery img. You don't need to wipe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
O

OCDroid

Reaction score
So, to clarify, the ota won't install right with the custom recovery in use, right? My plan would be to flash the stock recovery in fastboot, and hopefully use root keeper and not have to mess with too much else. Worst case I use fastboot to put cwm back on it and flash su.zip again. Hopefully, right?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, to clarify, the ota won't install right with the custom recovery in use, right? My plan would be to flash the stock recovery in fastboot, and hopefully use root keeper and not have to mess with too much else. Worst case I use fastboot to put cwm back on it and flash su.zip again. Hopefully, right?

You got it man. That's exactly right.

OP
O

OCDroid

Reaction score
Oops. got a red triangle on attempting to install the ota. This was after flashing back to the stock recovery. Any advice?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
The red triangle means you're in stock recovery...so I *think* it should be installing fine. Press volume up and volume down (may even have to hold power) and see if it says anything like upgrading or flashing or something

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
omfg. I have no idea the un-told amount of things I just did wrong. I panicked at the red triangle and pulled battery. Reflashed everything back to stock, and now my system says it is up to date. I'm still on 4.0.2. fml.

Haha. No worries. You can glitch the update. Just go to settings-apps-all. Scroll to google services framework and wipe data and force close. Then once it loads, try pulling the update. Repeat as necessary.

OP
O

OCDroid

Reaction score
Wow. What a pain. I'm finally back up and running 4.0.4, rooted and with a fresh clockwork install. I wanted to just leave the stock bootloader alone, and then I started thinking about backups...yeah, anyways. I'm not totally comfortable with how rooting went. I read about people having trouble getting root back after the update, so I got a got a "special" su.zip file from here: How to: Root Android 4.0.4 on the Galaxy Nexus – Droid Life , but when I went into a root app to check for access - it just worked. No asking for permissions, but still working. Went into the settings in the superuser app, and ran the "update biniaries" function. Root apps are asking for permissions again, and I'm not asking any more questions. :) Not totally comfortable with that, but I'll roll with it for now.

Just wanted to leave these links/nuggets of wisdom here, and also say thanks for the hand holding, syndicate007. I just had gotten my ps3 controller all set up and mapped to gta III last night, got up this morning, and my phone is uber-nagging me to install the latest. I mean non-stop nag, nag, nag. I just wanted to run over/shoot some hookers, and then all this. Thanks, again!