GALAXY NEXUS OTA Updates and Root Access

kb24forlife24

Reaction score
I have my rooted, unlocked, stock gnex and i was wondering do i get ota updates? If i apply the update do i lose root? and everytime i go in to cwm recovery and reboot, i have to flash a new one because it shows an android with an exclamation point when i try to go back to recovery again through rom manager and fastboot, i don;t get what the android with the exclamation point means, so please someone explain. also i was wondering how to apply manual ota updates through recovery without losing root access (ESPEECIALLY), or maybe if i should unroot and go back to stock since this phone gets official updates from google itself (someone give me good reasons not to unroot the gnex), so someone please answer all my questions, thank you! :)DancingNexus

SniperDroid

Reaction score
I think you might want to take this question over to the Nexus Development Forum, the guys over there are MUCH more capable to awnser all your current questions. I think this forum is more for the dumb stuff we can't figure out, or can't remember from the last time we did it...

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Wicked, an administrator here at Droid Forums, said that he accepted the 4.0.2 OTA after rooting and he said it worked fine. Just make sure you revert back to the stock recovery if you have flashed a custom recovery such as clockworkmod. You may lose root but thats no problem seeing how easy it is redo.

Last edited:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
To keep your recovery delete the recovery file from /system and then reinstall clockwork. It will stick then

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk