root explorer question

ellisz

Reaction score
Can someone explain what the mount R/O and mount R/W do in root explorer? I know what it stands for Read only and Read Write but I question when you have to use this button? If I go to Root explorer now, the app shows I am in R/O mode on the root directory. I see this as being what I should see but I have seen cases where I can go into Root explorer and I am in R/W mode. When do you need to change the status?

I have had cases where I connected the USB and mounted the sd card. While I am in the sd card on the PC, my phone unmounts itself - it has a notification for this. I cannot remount again without pulling the usb. I don't lose the ability to make changes though.

I have also been trying to put a notification in the system/media/audio/notifications folder but I cannot get the file to paste into the folder. It gives me a message but I can't read it as it flashes off too fast. If I cut the file from the SD card to paste, it removes it from the SD card but I have not seen it in the system folder.

I am not sure these items are related but I wanted to ask.

What I am trying to do is get a "quiet" sound file to play when a notification sound is called for. Apparently the NoLed app wants a sound file from the system to play for Other accounts. If a sound plays from that folder, it triggers the visual notification on the screen. I need it to be quiet so I created a white noise file to be played when in "vibrate mode" using Quick Profiles.

Thanks for any help with the mount questions. I just want to get a better understanding of what I am seeing.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To write in any place other than the sd card u need to have write permissions. Just makes it easy to switch

Sent from my phone... which happens to be a Droid X

OP
E

ellisz

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense but tell me if this is right...

If I open root explorer on the root directory, it has me at R/O. I can go to get my sound file and go into system/media/audio/notifications and it has me at R/W without me doing anything. As soon as I select system, it moves me to R/W. I cannot re-mount to R/O by hitting the button. It does not do anything.

mddx

Reaction score
Following your steps ... I get the same behaviour. I really don't know why. It just seems to be. However, why would you care ? isn't R/W the mode that you would want anyway ?

FrostMan

Reaction score
Yea I am always on RW as well, but it don't bother me, I always forgot to mount before either way. It is a bit uncharacteristic that I can't disable RW to RO, it is most likely because of the root process that we had to do.

OP
E

ellisz

Reaction score
That is good, I just wanted to confirm.

The problem is if I paste the file into system/media/audio/notifications/ nothing happens. I get a please wait message but I can't read it all. The file has yet to show up in the folder though. i thought it might be a read/write issue but I guess not.

I can't figure out how to get my quiet.ogg file in system folder :(

FrostMan

Reaction score
That is good, I just wanted to confirm.

The problem is if I paste the file into system/media/audio/notifications/ nothing happens. I get a please wait message but I can't read it all. The file has yet to show up in the folder though. i thought it might be a read/write issue but I guess not.

I can't figure out how to get my quiet.ogg file in system folder :(

I assume you have adb set up since you already have root.

Try this:

adb push quiet.ogg /system/media/audio/notifications/quiet.ogg

OP
E

ellisz

Reaction score
Well, I used the fascinate root file from AC. It basically had a .bat file that you launched and it took care of the rest.

Do I need to DL Android sdk I guess? I have always tried to not use adb but I guess I need to.

Thanks

OP
E

ellisz

Reaction score
Alright, this is off topic now but...
I have adb installed and at the command prompt typed adb and got a bunch of adb stuff.

I read a little of the ADB link from Abe21599 signature. I think I can use your command if the prompt is at c:/android/tools

OK, I tried this:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
exit
exit

Then:
adb push quiet.ogg /system/media/audio/notifications/quiet.ogg

I got a failed to copy ... permission denied.

Any ideas? If I try to push before the mount command, I get a Read only error.

Thanks

Last edited: