1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

root explorer question

Discussion in 'Samsung Fascinate Development' started by ellisz, Sep 21, 2010.

1. ellisz

ellisz New Member

Can someone explain what the mount R/O and mount R/W do in root explorer? I know what it stands for Read only and Read Write but I question when you have to use this button? If I go to Root explorer now, the app shows I am in R/O mode on the root directory. I see this as being what I should see but I have seen cases where I can go into Root explorer and I am in R/W mode. When do you need to change the status?

I have had cases where I connected the USB and mounted the sd card. While I am in the sd card on the PC, my phone unmounts itself - it has a notification for this. I cannot remount again without pulling the usb. I don't lose the ability to make changes though.

I have also been trying to put a notification in the system/media/audio/notifications folder but I cannot get the file to paste into the folder. It gives me a message but I can't read it as it flashes off too fast. If I cut the file from the SD card to paste, it removes it from the SD card but I have not seen it in the system folder.

I am not sure these items are related but I wanted to ask.

What I am trying to do is get a "quiet" sound file to play when a notification sound is called for. Apparently the NoLed app wants a sound file from the system to play for Other accounts. If a sound plays from that folder, it triggers the visual notification on the screen. I need it to be quiet so I created a white noise file to be played when in "vibrate mode" using Quick Profiles.

Thanks for any help with the mount questions. I just want to get a better understanding of what I am seeing.
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 RS/Moderator

To write in any place other than the sd card u need to have write permissions. Just makes it easy to switch

Sent from my phone... which happens to be a Droid X
  3. mddx

mddx New Member

R/O = Read Only
    R/W = Read & Write
  4. ellisz

ellisz New Member

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense but tell me if this is right...

If I open root explorer on the root directory, it has me at R/O. I can go to get my sound file and go into system/media/audio/notifications and it has me at R/W without me doing anything. As soon as I select system, it moves me to R/W. I cannot re-mount to R/O by hitting the button. It does not do anything.
  5. ellisz

ellisz New Member

I deserved that I guess :)
  6. mddx

mddx New Member

Following your steps ... I get the same behaviour. I really don't know why. It just seems to be. However, why would you care ? isn't R/W the mode that you would want anyway ?
  7. FrostMan

FrostMan New Member

Yea I am always on RW as well, but it don't bother me, I always forgot to mount before either way. It is a bit uncharacteristic that I can't disable RW to RO, it is most likely because of the root process that we had to do.
  8. ellisz

ellisz New Member

That is good, I just wanted to confirm.

The problem is if I paste the file into system/media/audio/notifications/ nothing happens. I get a please wait message but I can't read it all. The file has yet to show up in the folder though. i thought it might be a read/write issue but I guess not.

I can't figure out how to get my quiet.ogg file in system folder :(
  9. FrostMan

FrostMan New Member

I assume you have adb set up since you already have root.

Try this:

adb push quiet.ogg /system/media/audio/notifications/quiet.ogg
  10. ellisz

ellisz New Member

Well, I used the fascinate root file from AC. It basically had a .bat file that you launched and it took care of the rest.

Do I need to DL Android sdk I guess? I have always tried to not use adb but I guess I need to.

Thanks
  11. ellisz

ellisz New Member

Alright, this is off topic now but...
    I have adb installed and at the command prompt typed adb and got a bunch of adb stuff.

I read a little of the ADB link from Abe21599 signature. I think I can use your command if the prompt is at c:/android/tools

OK, I tried this:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    exit
    exit

Then:
    adb push quiet.ogg /system/media/audio/notifications/quiet.ogg

I got a failed to copy ... permission denied.

Any ideas? If I try to push before the mount command, I get a Read only error.

Thanks
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
Search tags for this page

how to change explorer in to r/w or read/write rather than t

how to paste in root explorer

mount r/o or r/w for root explprer

mount r/o r/w

mount rw to ro root explorer
mounted as r o root explorer
r o and r w on root explorer
ro rw root explorer
root explorer mount ro rw