Rom manager

crazytrain69

Reaction score
Is Rom manager bad? I hear good and bad about it and was just wondering. I rooted and used Rom manager to put bb on my phone and it worked fine. Is there anything better to use to add different rom's? Or is this just a personal preferences deal?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Is Rom manager bad? I hear good and bad about it and was just wondering. I rooted and used Rom manager to put bb on my phone and it worked fine. Is there anything better to use to add different rom's? Or is this just a personal preferences deal?

Its a great application. I use it as a back up on a regular basis in addition to when ever I am going to do a new ROM installation. Running BB V621 at this time with no issues with this specific application.

OP
crazytrain69

crazytrain69

Reaction score
Same one here and it does work great!

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I have the thing on all three of my android phones, but use it very sparingly. Why? Because that program is goofy. It doesn't always DO what you tell it to do. I find that a better way to install roms and themes is to download them directly to my PC desktop, then use a USB connection to transfer the zip file to my SD card. then boot into recovery and use the existing CW Recovery to choose the zip I want to install, and go from there. I feel it gives me more control over the process.

In the past, I've had Rom Manager download the *wrong* rom - I tell it to download "Rom A", it downloads "Rom B" - as well as having it decide to install the Gapps file BEFORE it installed one of the Sapphire roms (causing chaos). My advice is to use it with great caution and to familiarize yourself with using CW Recovery to directly install your roms & themes. Why use Rom Manager as a middle-man?

-Mike

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1!

I have the thing on all three of my android phones, but use it very sparingly. Why? Because that program is goofy. It doesn't always DO what you tell it to do. I find that a better way to install roms and themes is to download them directly to my PC desktop, then use a USB connection to transfer the zip file to my SD card. then boot into recovery and use the existing CW Recovery to choose the zip I want to install, and go from there. I feel it gives me more control over the process.

In the past, I've had Rom Manager download the *wrong* rom - I tell it to download "Rom A", it downloads "Rom B" - as well as having it decide to install the Gapps file BEFORE it installed one of the Sapphire roms (causing chaos). My advice is to use it with great caution and to familiarize yourself with using CW Recovery to directly install your roms & themes. Why use Rom Manager as a middle-man?

-Mike

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
crazytrain69

crazytrain69

Reaction score

-Mike

I have noticed the goofyness already so guess I need to brush up and start using the recovery method. I just haven't tried it that way yet. Sounds simple so i'm going to try a theme this weekend when I have more time on hand.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

-Mike

I have noticed the goofyness already so guess I need to brush up and start using the recovery method. I just haven't tried it that way yet. Sounds simple so i'm going to try a theme this weekend when I have more time on hand.

It's really quite easy, and if you run into a snag, just post your problem and someone will help you out. This forum is loaded with nice, *helpful* people. :)

-Mike

rivaaaa253

Reaction score
Rom manager won't let me download roms like it'll go into recovery mode and then it'll say download fail... everytime...

sent from my facinating facinate!

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Honestly its best to download the rom to your SD card then apply the .zip file through recovery. Too many people have issues with rom manager.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

rivaaaa253

Reaction score
So theeeeen how do I download it to my sd??

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Well 2 ways, you can download it to your PC and transfer it to your phone via USB, or you can download it straight to your phone from the site. Either way work, I prefer to dl straight to my phone (less chance something will get screwed up during transfer).

Are you using astro file manager? If so you have to go into the settings and enable web downloads to dl straight to your phone.

rivaaaa253

Reaction score
Cool thankks man, so after that I just apply update.zip in recovery mode??

CD95YJ

Reaction score
No, not update.zip, you will select the .zip from the card. Say your downloading "bobsrom" for your phone. What you will do is move "bobsrom.zip" from your download folder to the root of your SD card using your file manager or USB connection as mass storage. Once its moved boot into recovery and select .zip from the card. Find "bobsrom.zip" and load it up.
*** "bobsrom" & "bobsrom.zip" are ficticious names and should not be taken literal by anyone ***

Now make sure you follow all of the installation instructions from the rom developer (ie wipe data and cache before install) or you will end up with some not so fun issues

rivaaaa253

Reaction score
There is no.zip when I boot into recovery via rom manager or manualy...