Rogue Droid - HUGE ISSUE!!!!

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
I went through something similar with a cheap battery/charger from eBay for my Storm. Thanks for posting this in hopes some others avoid similar situations

russwhite

Reaction score
Phone goes crazy on eBay charger

Well, thanks to this forum and this post my sanity is restored. I had used my Droid for about a week and then took a long trip and was anxious to try out the Droid in its car window dock and let it do the navigating. I resisted playing with the screen and options while driving, but took the dock to the motel room for some practice while in the car dock and navigation mode. Soon the phone was going nuts. Just bringing my finger close to the screen caused actions and the phone called and sent texts pretty much on its own. I was getting sick. I called Verizon and we both agreed that I would go to the Verizon store the next morning and get a new phone. I removed the battery and went to bed. You may have figured out my now what happened. I had packed my never before used eBay charger in my overnight bag and plugged it into the phone at the motel. The problems with the phone were not related to the dock, but to the charger. I found this thread the next morning on the motel computer and ran back upstairs and removed the charger. Immediately the phone was back to normal and I was a very happy guy. Now, just before I toss the charger into the trash I will leave the information that is printed on it here so others may learn from my mistake.
Made in China - Input 100-240V, 200ma 47-63HZ - Output DC 4.5V to 9.5V Max 800ma Before Charging Study This Instruction Sheet - Vor dem laden ist die - Cebrauchsanweisung Zu lesen INDOOR USE ONLY - MOT V8/V9 or something like that -
If you purchased an eBay charger and it looks like this - run, don't walk to the trash can. Happy Droiding - Russ

cj100570

Reaction score
I had a similar situation. Whenever my MotoDroid is plugged in the phone will literally type by itself when a text field is open. I've even witnessed it launch applications. I returned my 1st one thinking it was defective only to have the 2nd one do it too.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I had a similar situation. Whenever my MotoDroid is plugged in the phone will literally type by itself when a text field is open. I've even witnessed it launch applications. I returned my 1st one thinking it was defective only to have the 2nd one do it too.

It is not a problem with the phone. It is a problem with the charger people are using. Are you using the charger that came with the phone or an aftermarket one?

cj100570

Reaction score

It is not a problem with the phone. It is a problem with the charger people are using. Are you using the charger that came with the phone or an aftermarket one?

I'm using the Motorola charger that came with my phone so I have to respectfully disagree with your statement that it's not the phone. And since this is the 2nd phone and charger that I've had with the same issue it would seem to point to the phone hardware or the OS that is at issue. I've also tested this theory at my local VZ store and was able to reproduce it on 4 different phones. There's obviously an issue with the hardware or OS. :r_c:

TomN

Reaction score
Please don't use aftermarket chargers on your Droid. You will only make it mad and cause it to do bad things. First it will text and call people at random, then it may take more drastic measures. Please think of the children!

cj100570

Reaction score
Please don't use aftermarket chargers on your Droid. You will only make it mad and cause it to do bad things. First it will text and call people at random, then it may take more drastic measures. Please think of the children!

Lol. :icon_ banana:

demnogis

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads' up. I won't buy one of those eVilbay chargers now.

+1 droids are becoming self aware. The commercials were right, droid does. Does take over the world.

Michael

Reaction score
Just thought I would add that I use a USB extension cable to make charging and using the phone at the same time bearable.

freesoftwarefan

Reaction score
It really sounds from the description that these are deliberately crafted chargers designed to control the phones maliciously, someone should bring one in to have it analyzed.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Where can I get or locate a Droid virus scanner? :icon_eek:

Hey,

first of all, open up another thread cuz i think its not belonging into this one.

Then, if statet this long before, there is no need for a virus scanner.
The ANDROID os is based on linux, which is relly close to linux. There are not much viruses for linux jet and even if there are, the virus would neet ROOT rights to apply, and DROID is not rootet yet.

So just use your brain not going onto wild websites or clicking ANY links in ANY mails,

that would do it :D

Tigger

grandeson

Reaction score
hey some negative feedback

maybe those who are buying these chargers off ebay and its screwing up their phone should leave negative or at least a neutral feedback to the seller. I checked the ebay charger link and after 34 pages of checking the review, not one negative or neutral review regarding the charger.

Also, tigger, if the droid is linux, or like linux (its linux), and it cant get viruses, why would someone then have to worry about what site they go on? Either it can or cant get viruses. And if it can, then I dont see getting an antivirus is such a bad idea. I wont, but I can understand a persons desire for it.