Ringtones

borregolinda

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Maxx
Is there any way to get new ringtones or sounds for text message receiving? I can get new ringtones in my phone but can't use them for anything but phone ringtones. I have a Motorola Droid.

Thanks!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just make mine on my PC and drop'em onto my phone.

you should be able to download notification tones somewhere, but i never tried

rherron

Reaction score
On your SD card make a folder called Notifications. Drop whatever mp3 files you want into that folder (i.e. connect your phone to your pc and drag and drop the files to that folder). When you're done the files should be visible in the list of available notification tones for email or texting or whatever.

OP
borregolinda

borregolinda

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Maxx
On your SD card make a folder called Notifications. Drop whatever mp3 files you want into that folder (i.e. connect your phone to your pc and drag and drop the files to that folder). When you're done the files should be visible in the list of available notification tones for email or texting or whatever.

Ok how do I get to the SD card and create a folder?

Thanks!!!

jayman350

Reaction score
You cab either mount it to your pc and do it from there or get a file manager program like ES File Explorer or astro and do it without a pc

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

rherron

Reaction score
Plug the phone into your computer with the USB cable that came with it. Your phone will show up on your computer as an external device -- basically an external hard drive. From your computer click on the phone and you will see the folders on the SD card. Just add a file folder there as you would on any computer. Probably when you plug it in you'll be asked if you want to install some device drivers. Click yes. Probably a window will pop open showing you the contents (folders) of the device and you won't even have to click on it.

OP
borregolinda

borregolinda

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Maxx
Plug the phone into your computer with the USB cable that came with it. Your phone will show up on your computer as an external device -- basically an external hard drive. From your computer click on the phone and you will see the folders on the SD card. Just add a file folder there as you would on any computer. Probably when you plug it in you'll be asked if you want to install some device drivers. Click yes. Probably a window will pop open showing you the contents (folders) of the device and you won't even have to click on it.

Sorry to be a pain! I can do all that but when I go back into the phone and select ringtones for messaging it's not there. How do I find that folder on my phone?

rherron

Reaction score
Capture.JPG

Make a folder called Notifications on the SD card on the device and then stick the MP3 file (the sound you want) in that folder. The folder structure on your device should look something like the picture above.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify -- ringtones are only for calls. Notifications are used by apps for alerts.

If you're putting the files into Notifications and they're not showing up in the list of notification tones then see if rebooting helps (as it forces a media rescan).