Ringtones--Downloading--customizing!

CathieBeck

Reaction score
Okay -- so I went and downloaded a ringtone from ********** (very nice)!

I "got" the ringtone delivered in a text message.

It's not doing me any good there. I can't figure out how
to set that ringtone up with a certain caller's number.

I can't figure out -- from the text -- how to "move" the ringtone to that caller's number.

I can go to the contact, look at the options and see a list of ringtones.

But THOSE ringtones came with the Droid. The list does NOT include the one I just received in the ********** text message.

Help!

Cathie

Dragoro

Reaction score
You know that you can use your own music as ring tones, you dont have to buy ring tones right?

superglen99

Reaction score
what I did was click on the ringtone then hit the menu button and it gave me the option to "set as"... and I selected ringtone for a certain contact.

Silverwing

Reaction score
If you go to the text message and you LONG click on the song (the box that represents the song) you will get a menu where you can select "save as" and "set as ringtone" - make sure you save it.

With that said, you can use any of your own music and sounds - so you don't have to buy any more ringtones, as long as you have other sources of music on your computer!!

Good luck =)

zegolf

Reaction score
There are also free apps out there that have free (albeit at a reduced quality) ringtones.

No one should ever have to pay for ringtones.

windstrings

Reaction score
what I did was click on the ringtone then hit the menu button and it gave me the option to "set as"... and I selected ringtone for a certain contact.

Seems you have to select something to be the global ringtone for the phone before it goes into the list so it can then be selected for a single contact..... then you have to go back and reassign your global ringtone back to what it was if you want to keep it the same.

has anybody figured out an easy way to get your personal sounds converted to ringtones and added to the ringtone list without first making it global?

Personal sounds have to first be converted from thier own format to .ogg format and put in the system/media/audio/ringtones directory before they will be in the said list.

Seems the easiest way to convert them and get them there is in the act picking them as a global ringtone.

On the other hand.. I'm finding sounds that are in the ringtone choices that are not in that directory.

Last edited: