Can't pick new message ringtone (Handcent)

lfloyd87

Reaction score
I have handcent downloaded for my texting. I've gone through every setting within handcent and the phone's setting's sound menu and changed the ringtone I want for my texts to a new one I've downloaded. My emails come in with that new ringtone but I can't get my SMS ringtone to change from any one of the defaulted one's that come on the LG G2X. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be stemming from? Thanks.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
First of all, ringtones are for calls. Notifications are what you're referring to.

You need to set Handcent's notification tone in Handcent's settings. If you set the notification tone under the Android settings then you're setting the default notification and that applies to more than just one type of app.

Similarly, you need to set your email notification tone in your email app's settings.

naknak95

Reaction score
I have handcent downloaded for my texting. I've gone through every setting within handcent and the phone's setting's sound menu and changed the ringtone I want for my texts to a new one I've downloaded. My emails come in with that new ringtone but I can't get my SMS ringtone to change from any one of the defaulted one's that come on the LG G2X. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be stemming from? Thanks.

1.) Make sure you're changing the "Notifications" ringtone.
2.) Try changing it in both Handcent and the default SMS app.