different ringtones for different apps (text, email, phone)

smn

Reaction score
I've read about how you can go into each application and go to the settings and change the ring tones...

However - it's only letting me change the email and text alerts to the standard droid options.

Example: I can get a ringtone and set it for the default ringtone OR the default data alerts (emails and texts)...

BUT I want a different sound for email and texts...

So I go into the email program and go to options and I can only chose the ringtones that came with the phone - the ringtones that I've downloaded or created aren't there.... So It sounds like either emails and texts HAVE to have the same noise (if I chose one that I'd downloaded) OR they can have different noises but only if I use a droid option...

Am I missing something?

How can I get MY ringtones to show up on that list of ringtone options in each program??

OP
S

smn

Reaction score
Update - I went into Meebo (an IM app that I have) and when I went to change the ringtones there it did give me the droid sounds AND the sounds/songs that I downloaded.

however the email, gmail, messaging won't list my sounds too... Is this an issue because these programs came with the phone and so MY sounds will only show up on the apps that I add to the phone?

Mojoman

Reaction score
I created a folder on the SD card called 'notifications', all small letters no punctuatution marks. I put my ringtones in there and now use them for texting and emails.

OP
S

smn

Reaction score
I created a folder on the SD card called 'notifications', all small letters no punctuatution marks. I put my ringtones in there and now use them for texting and emails.

Unless I'm doing something wrong that didn't work for me.

I hooked phone up to computer, opened the F://drive, created a folder called "notifications", copied music files into it.... Safely removed drive, un-mounted... opened up "messaging", went to settings, went to notifications and select ring tone... and there were only like 15 there - the ones that came with the droid.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Create a folder on your SD card called "media" (no quotes on any of these folders). Within that, create one named "audio" and then within that, place "notifications" and or "ringtones". Drag in your desired tones in to your notifications folder and when you unmount and your phone is up and running, these tones will now be in your options for ringtones for the specific apps.

OP
S

smn

Reaction score
Create a folder on your SD card called "media" (no quotes on any of these folders). Within that, create one named "audio" and then within that, place "notifications" and or "ringtones". Drag in your desired tones in to your notifications folder and when you unmount and your phone is up and running, these tones will now be in your options for ringtones for the specific apps.

Just tried that... Opened the F drive (that's what the phone is connected to), created the folders just the way you said... safely disconnected... tried to go to messaging to change settings but once again there were only the droid sounds there :(

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, that's weird. Worked fine for me. Maybe power off and restart the phone before trying again?
Are the file extensions of the desired tones correct? Mine are mp3 as I'm not sure what others are recognized.

wildcat89

Reaction score
No custom sounds for notifications on Droid Pro?

I tried this procedure on a Droid Pro and it isn't working. I created a "notifications" folder in the "audio" folder, and that didn't work. I also tried creating a "notifications" in the root folder of the SD card, and that didn't work either.
Anyone know how to add custom sounds for notifications on a Droid Pro?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The location of the folder doesn't matter -- the name does.

It sounds to me like you're having a problem with the scanning of your SD card. See if a reboot forces a rescan.

wildcat89

Reaction score
Thanks takeshi.
I attempted two reboots, and still no luck.
I have been able to add custom ringtones for phone alerts. I added the mp3 files to the "ringtones" folder on the SD card. That's working fine. But, none of the custom ringtones are showing for Notifications. I'll have to tinker with it some; maybe delete the "notifications" folders I added manually, and re-add them and the mp3's.
As a long-time Blackberry user, I'm surprised that using custom sounds isn't better implemented on Android. It was a piece of cake to do this on the Blackberry operating system.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As a long-time Blackberry user, I'm surprised that using custom sounds isn't better implemented on Android. It was a piece of cake to do this on the Blackberry operating system.
It should be easy just like your ringtones. That's all I did for my Droid's custom notifications. Not sure why there's this problem on some devices though.