Ringtone/notification tone chamging automatically.

Reaction score
So i love this phone but on occasion my tones will change on me to random things in there respective systems. I am using handcent and i have music paradise, ringdroid, and zedge. I noticed it when i got a text while having the phone plugged in via usb to my ps3 and the tone was just a ring. And now anytime that happens it changes anything.. any ideas?

And why dont they push this phone as much. It is pretty baddass.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

reybie

Reaction score
This was mentioned by someone before and I can't remember where. Check to see if your custom ringtones are on the SD card and check what behavior your phone is set to when plugged in to USB (PC Mode, Sync, USB Mass Storage, Charge). My guess, this is only a guess, that if it's anything other than Charge only, the phone would not have access to the ringtones on the SD card and defaults to the system ringtones/notification sounds.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So i love this phone but on occasion my tones will change on me to random things in there respective systems. I am using handcent and i have music paradise, ringdroid, and zedge. I noticed it when i got a text while having the phone plugged in via usb to my ps3 and the tone was just a ring. And now anytime that happens it changes anything.. any ideas?

And why dont they push this phone as much. It is pretty baddass.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Yeah, I think that's because it's using your SD card and if you are plugged into a PS3 it would give you probably an ugly sounding ring.

ricpdjrr

Reaction score
I have never changed my notification tone it came with droid sound enabled but seemingly randomly my notification changes to beat box android. I had not had time to try to figure this one out yet....

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

schatzy62

Reaction score
This was mentioned by someone before and I can't remember where. Check to see if your custom ringtones are on the SD card and check what behavior your phone is set to when plugged in to USB (PC Mode, Sync, USB Mass Storage, Charge). My guess, this is only a guess, that if it's anything other than Charge only, the phone would not have access to the ringtones on the SD card and defaults to the system ringtones/notification sounds.

+1 on this answer. it happened to me on my DX and once i moved the ringtones to the internal memory the problem was gone.

aloha52

Reaction score
It was much easier to send apps or whatever to my SD card with the Ally I used to have. I cannot for the life of me see how to move anything except what my camera takes, onto an SD card. When I go to settings/storage/manage internal storage, it's grayed out so I can't move anything that way. And where/what is the 'file manager' that they want me launch?

marlonvps

Reaction score
Are you constantly shutting down your phone or taking out the sd card? this might be why. Your files might be switching around...

JRzMom

Reaction score
Okay...so how do you do it?

+1 on this answer. it happened to me on my DX and once i moved the ringtones to the internal memory the problem was gone.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you move your ringtones to the internal storage?

silverfang77

Reaction score
You need to be rooted and use a file managing app to move files to the phone's own storage.

MackAV

Reaction score
I moved my ringtone files to the /system/media/audio/(corresponding folder) and it still, every now and then, plays a random ringtone, alarm, or whatever it wants. Then it's as if nothing changed.

only126db

Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I have finally discovered the fix!!!! I am rooted, I am not sure if just converting to ogg will work without root, but here is what has worked for me with root access.

1) Have a rooted device https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Goawxdx_UBF4Y8lqzHYWf8Ha3yUcRK4faq0UWIlXLWA/edit?pli=1
2) Modify (if you want to) and convert your mp3 file to .ogg using Audacity Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
3) Have app called Root Browser on device https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.root.browserfree&hl=en
4) Load converted ogg files to device by connecting to your pc and putting it in Mass Storage Mode
5) Remove device from pc when done then launch Root Browser
6) When in Root browser go to where you saved the ogg files, hit multi-sel, select your files then click move, go to system-media-audio and place them in alarms, alerts, notifications or ringtones then click move and you are done.