ridiculous battery life

jkieffer46

Reaction score
Updated to .890 about a week ago and have had to charge multiple times each day with normal usage. I came from a droid 2 then d2g and got at least a day on one charge. I have the Verizon extended battery. Im seeing on these forums that guys are getting a day and a half easy on a single charge. I have every flipping thing shut off and and dead in 6hrs. Wtf????

OP
J

jkieffer46

Reaction score
You mean stats-wise? I use battmonx. Its pretty accurate all the way till the phone shuts off

nu2droid

Reaction score
I added everything I could except my emails to the "auto end" in the task killer. Worked for me, I get 12-14 hrs with good usage.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

rvcjew

Reaction score
I don't have any task killer cept for killing stubborn apps auto killer is frozen with bloatfreeze. These screens are a typical day for me on stock battery after some heavy usage at school.View attachment 40619

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I get a good 15-20 hours with normal use (phone calls, internet, facebook, texting, gmail, etc..) after installing the leaked update. Before that it was easily 10+ hours.

No auto-end task killer crap going on either (which is VERY bad for the OS).

I did freeze most of the bloat including all the social services and whatnot which I am sure helped some.

nu2droid

Reaction score
I used to use advanced task killer on my d1. This time I am using the one that came with the phone. I have it set to turn off selected 2 minutes after screen goes out.
Gonna have to try the leak though, 15-20 hrs sounds real good.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
J

jkieffer46

Reaction score
Yeah im thinking I might just take it in. Doesn't matter whether the screen is on 100% of the time and im tethering or if I have it shut off and don't touch it- the thing dies after 6hrs and is borderline on fire the whole time.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I don't even think my Droid 3 has even been what I would call "warm", tethering, GPS'ing....anything.

Maybe GPS'ing.....it's been above cool.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Yeah im thinking I might just take it in. Doesn't matter whether the screen is on 100% of the time and im tethering or if I have it shut off and don't touch it- the thing dies after 6hrs and is borderline on fire the whole time.

What apps are you running? Take everything off of the auto-end list. Uninstall antivirus, security software, automatic task killers.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Agree with the bloatless one. If its warm then there is a chance something is running in the background. If you haven't tried powering it down and pulling the battery for a minute, that would be a relatively painless first step. Listing your apps might work if any of us see something that is a known problem we can better advise you. Otherwise, a factory reset without syncing the apps, and then adding the apps back one at a time very slowly is another way to get to the bottom of a misbehaving app. If you haven't done that yet, now would be a good time to since many users with similar issues have indicated that the reset fixed them... well their phones anyway.

The mighty V may not treat you so well if they ID the update on your phone BTW.

Endoroid

Reaction score
The only time I find mine get above room temperature is while using Skype video chat, I imagine its from constant CPU use. If yours is hot all the time your CPU is working hard alot or maybe its a defect. Have you tried a CPU monitoring app to see what's going on there

Sent from my rooted xt860

DaddysDroid

Reaction score
No auto-end task killer crap going on either (which is VERY bad for the OS).

Sorry if hijacking here....but I am asking to learn something....so, are you saying you should never use the 'Auto-end' in the Task Manager? Not even for the VZW bloatware?

Thanks.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Sorry if hijacking here....but I am asking to learn something....so, are you saying you should never use the 'Auto-end' in the Task Manager? Not even for the VZW bloatware?

Thanks.

My short answer is: correct, never use an automatic task killer.

I say this for a number of reasons:
-Android will free memory as needed so you don't need to worry about it. You usually don't even need to exit out of apps. An exception is Google Nav. I always choose the "Exit" button when done with it.
-That VZ bloat that restarts itself will be toying with your auto task killer all day. Bloat starts, it gets killed, it starts again, it gets killed. This will slow your phone and use your battery charge. If you just leave the stuff alone then it sits in memory and uses basically zero CPU and battery. Don't worry about the RAM being used as Android will free it as necessary. Of course, rooting and disabling the bloatware would be even more efficient, but not necessarily much of an improvement over stock.
-As for apps that you've installed, if it runs on boot or keeps restarting itself without a good reason you should uninstall it and find an alternative that behaves properly. Autokilling these things will just cause an endless cycle as stated above.

Do I ever manually kill running apps? Sometimes, but in theory it is not necessary as Android is usually smart enough to handle it.

Last edited:

rda990

Reaction score
Where did you get the extended battery from? I got one from amazon and its looking like I get less battery time than my standard battery. 3 hours already passed and its down to 50% by only using the facebook messaging app, and that alone shows only 3% used.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk