Return to stock and keep root

saturnalius

Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something obvious here but how would I return my S4 to the stock image and keep root access. I also want to get OTAs. I can't seem to find a guide for that without unrooting and relocking.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You are not missing anything, returning to stock will do just that. Meaning unroot you. They have a way to return to stock and not wipe your APPS but you will still lose root. Are you on a ROM now or do you mean you want it how it was out of the box but rooted?

OP
S

saturnalius

Reaction score
Yeah I'm on hyperdrive right now. I just want to go back to stock out of the box but keep root. Or do I just need to go stock and then reroot?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah go back to the stock image and the you can root again. If you want to take the over the air you can still get root back, but no custom ROMs yet.

OP
S

saturnalius

Reaction score
If I may ask, with the S4 roms are we back where you can use titanium backup without major instability and FC issues. I really like some of these TW roms but I just don't have the time to set my apps and preferences up every time a new one comes out like I did with my OG droid.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The only TW rom I used was Hyperdrive, but not long enough to test TiBu. I then went to Cyanogen and didn't have any problems. On stock right now and it works great.

joinorgage

Reaction score
If you want to take the over the air you can still get root back, but no custom ROMs yet.
mPTy