Retrieve SMS database from "dead" Galaxy Nexus

jmavros

Reaction score
Greetings; first post here, and I'm hoping someone can help. I've done some searching both within the forums and on Google, and can't find an answer to this problem.

Situation: My GNex took a baseball to the screen; the screen is shattered and unresponsive, but the phone will power on and I can see the file structure if I connect via USB to my PC. I've retrieved all the files and photos that I want to save from the phone by copying to the PC, but not the text messages. I had a backup for the text messages, but it's gone (different story for another time). So I've been searching for a way to retrieve these text messages that can be executed entirely from the PC side, since I have no way of installing an app on the phone. I'd either like to be able to copy the SMS database to a new phone via PC, or dump it into some sort of manageable text format.

From the searches I've done, it seems like I might be able to do this using some sort of developer's code; I'm not a developer, but could probably walk through step-by-step instructions if someone could provide them (i.e., Install this program, plug in the phone, enter these lines of code, etc.)

The phone is stock (not rooted), and was just recently updated to ICS 4.0.4 (?)

Samsung says they can "fix" the phone for $160+, but that they won't be able to save any of the data since the phone isn't navigable (I assume they'll just send a replacement).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

OP
J

jmavros

Reaction score
Thanks, but that won't work

I can't install anything to the phone (or use the apps that are already on the phone), because the screen is dead. I need an app that will work entirely from the PC side.

Coneyfox

Reaction score
A Real Solution

I had the same problem trying to get contacts off my galaxy s3 with a broken screen, and the solution was a program called "My Phone Explorer" from FJ Software Development It's free, you DON'T have to be rooted, modded, or apped to use it, and it seriously took me a minute or so to get my contacts AND text messages. I had tried everything I could find on the web, plus the people at my Verizon store, but couldn't find a solution that worked for retrieving contacts AND SMS messages from a phone with a broken screen. I hope it's as good for you as it was for me. This seriously was a couple of clicks for a solution. All I ask is that you tell two people about it if it works for you, since this program is free, and promotion is the best thing we can do for the guy that made it. Donation is also an option on the fjsoft website.

Coney Fox

bbsanchezi

Reaction score
yeah,i think so,the screen is dead. I need an app that will work entirely from the PC side.thank you
4.gif

comk4ver

Reaction score
I can't install anything to the phone (or use the apps that are already on the phone), because the screen is dead. I need an app that will work entirely from the PC side.
Actually you can remote install from the android market website
https://play.google.com/store
But your bigger issue is actual opening and setting up the app.

comk4ver

Reaction score
@jmavros and @bbsanchez, I tried using the app my phone explore that was suggested above it works you need to just plug in the phone and if it powers up that's all you need!
Greetings; first post here, and I'm hoping someone can help. I've done some searching both within the forums and on Google, and can't find an answer to this problem.

Situation: My GNex took a baseball to the screen; the screen is shattered and unresponsive, but the phone will power on and I can see the file structure if I connect via USB to my PC. I've retrieved all the files and photos that I want to save from the phone by copying to the PC, but not the text messages. I had a backup for the text messages, but it's gone (different story for another time). So I've been searching for a way to retrieve these text messages that can be executed entirely from the PC side, since I have no way of installing an app on the phone. I'd either like to be able to copy the SMS database to a new phone via PC, or dump it into some sort of manageable text format.

From the searches I've done, it seems like I might be able to do this using some sort of developer's code; I'm not a developer, but could probably walk through step-by-step instructions if someone could provide them (i.e., Install this program, plug in the phone, enter these lines of code, etc.)

The phone is stock (not rooted), and was just recently updated to ICS 4.0.4 (?)

Samsung says they can "fix" the phone for $160+, but that they won't be able to save any of the data since the phone isn't navigable (I assume they'll just send a replacement).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: