Resetting Google Account Password???

heart7

Reaction score
I have a Droid X with gingerbread. I really messed up and used my PC to access my gmail. Forgot my password and reset it using the PC. This shutdown my G-Mail on my phone. Per Verizon tech support the only way to reset was to do a factory data reset. Which required me to reinstall all my apps. Does anyone know if there is a way reset the google account password on the phone without having to do factory data reset?

Reaction score
Your g-mail account is the same for your phone and computer.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
H

heart7

Reaction score
What you said is true but if access gmail thru the message center it will not sync if you change you google acount password with a pc. There is no way to change the phone google password without doing a factor reset.

EddieDex

Reaction score
Regrettably, this is correct. However, you may want to try this if you are using two-step verification through Google. CJM, forum moderator sent me this tip and it worked like a charm! "... https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsAuthConfig and turned off the 2-step verification. If that link dont work, this is the link I used to get there Turning off 2-step verification - Accounts Help (http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/static.py?page=guide.cs&guide=1056283&topic=1067530)."

So, if you're using a 2-step verification, turn it off first, reset your password on your PC, and then go into your Droid. If it still doesn't work, you will need to do a factory reset. Good Luck.

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
Not true. Only the e mail account name is tied to your Google account. You can change your password as often as you like. Go online with your browse, change your password, then log back in. Hope this helps.

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
I retract my earlier statement....kinda.
From your PC, go to: https://market.android.com.
Change to the your password or make another new one.
Then try to log into the market on your phone.
It will ask you to log in, then flash a screen prompt.
Enter the new password and viola!
I just tried it and this method works, with no need to factory reset.

Bbnyc

Reaction score
Really?!?!

Is it really possible that someone thought it was acceptable to force a factory reset whenever you change your gmail password? I have tried every recommended solution on every thread and nothing gives me a prompt to re-enter the password.

Has anybody figured this out recently? Most threads are from last year, and I'm not sure if it is because im using newer versions of the gmail app or the market (the other very common suggestion) but nothing prompts me for the new password. There is NO way someone intentionally designed the phone to work this way!

smitty88

Reaction score
gmail password does not work on phone for me

Your g-mail account is the same for your phone and computer.

When I touch the gmail icon I get a "Google sign-in"" popup msg. I carefully and accurately enter my gmail password but repeatedly get a reply that I have entered the wrong password. I have no trouble accessing my gmail from my laptop with the same password. Sending this from my laptop. Thank you very much.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

When I touch the gmail icon I get a "Google sign-in"" popup msg. I carefully and accurately enter my gmail password but repeatedly get a reply that I have entered the wrong password. I have no trouble accessing my gmail from my laptop with the same password. Sending this from my laptop. Thank you very much

m0n1c4

Reaction score
Same happens to me. Does anyone know how to get this to stop occurring without having to reset my factory settings?

stevefdriscoll

Reaction score
Wow! All I can say is wow! This issue has cost me hours and hours! Let me start by restating the problem...

I changed my Google Apps Gmail password via my PC (the NEW password) and then wanted to do the same on my Verizon Droid Incredible which still had the OLD password.

WARNING
BEFORE you consider a factory reset...see if you fall into this category. I tried and failed the factory reset option thank God! As it would only have resulted in erasing my data and leaving me in the same situation! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

BACKGROUND
I think the most important aspect about my situation is that I use Google Apps and had been for a few years. Back then (with out me knowing) they had a temporary email account mapped to the real account. i.e. for the Google Apps Gmail account [email protected] they actually created a foo%[email protected] on the back end which you really didn't see.

A year ago (ish), when I logged into Google Apps, I was presented with a list of options to either separate or collapse foo%[email protected] into [email protected]. I choose to collapse all the information and data into [email protected] and summarily forgot about the whole affair.

Fast forward time to this past week... I changed the password on [email protected] within Google Apps on my PC. On my Droid, the Gmail app failed to ask me for a revised password and it just wouldn't sync. I tried the marketplace and captcha solutions described out there to now avail. I literally spent 4 hours here!!!

Now here is where it gets crazy...on my PC, I went to accounts.google.com...typed in [email protected] and the NEW password and saw what was expected. i.e. details on the [email protected] Gmail account. However, from accounts.google.com...when I typed in [email protected] and the OLD password...I was present with details pertaining to foo%[email protected].

So depending on the OLD or NEW password I used at accounts.google.com with the username [email protected], I was presented with either the OLD or NEW account details. Aha!

SOLUTION
I went to accounts.google.com on my PC and typed in [email protected] plus the OLD password. I then changed the password to the NEW password.

After I did this, I went back to Gmail on my Droid and hit refresh...voila!!! It finally presented me with the option to change my password. I typed in the NEW password and all has worked wonderfully since.

The captcha bit might need to be reset as well. I dunno. So if the above sounds familiar...be sure to visit this link and reset the account via captcha...

https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha

I'm quite tired, exasperated and pissed off! So I apologize if the above is a bit cryptic. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try as best I can to clarify.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Avxyvei

Reaction score
Brilliant Solution

I signed up for this forum solely to say THANK YOU. I spent over an hour trying to sort this out until I saw your post. As soon as I skimmed through it, I realized I was in exactly the same boat: with both a personal and an organizational Google Account with the same e-mail address, thanks to all this Google Apps foolishness. I followed your instructions, and the minute I changed the password on my personal account, my phone buzzed with the account login error message. A few quick taps later, and I was in business.

Somewhere, I hope some Google engineers are kicking themselves for not getting the Google Apps integration done properly the first time around. What a nightmare.

orangon

Reaction score
orangon

Thank you so much, EddieDex. This totally worked for me. I just needed to use an application specific password to login. I've been searching for an answer to this problem for quite a while now. What a relief to finally fix it. Thanks again!

chrstdvd

Reaction score

That worked for me, just went to Market or whatever it is called now, typed in my new password and my mail synced again. Thanks.

wolfballz

Reaction score

This worked for me.