Requesting Link to Android Wear FAQ or Tips and Tricks

biggles

Reaction score
I was getting ready to start another thread with more questions about how notifications work. I already googled this item below and could not find the answer.

I am trying to determine whether notifications still come through on an Android Smartwatch when the screen shuts off due to being covered up.

Anyway, rather than continuing to create threads with these sorts of questions, I will just ask:
Can someone point me to a good tips and tricks guide for Android Wear?

When I googled this I mostly found articles for developers, not users like myself. And the general guides on popular Android websites were not detailed enough to answer the question above.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Stuff I'd like to know as well. Seems I'm always missing calls, phone is usually on vibrate and I don't seem to notice it anymore. I'm wondering if a smart watch would provide a better notification method for me.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks, and it's available on my Kindle unlimited plan. Think I'll enjoy some "Light" reading this weekend.

I'll try and post my thoughts on the book sometime Monday.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I read the book last night. It's not very long. It's not very well written. It was a rush job to be sure.
That said, it did have some useful, for me at least, information.
While it may have been a little short on insights on the device's use, it did have a pretty decent How To section.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What watch do you have? What do you mean the watch turns off due to being covered up?

We've got a few members here (myself included) who've been using android wear devices for quite a while. We'll be happy to help answer any questions we can. I'm not aware of any specific tips and tricks type article/etc, but I'm on my second android wear device and there are others who've had their first just as long or longer than when I got mine.

OP
B

biggles

Reaction score
What watch do you have? What do you mean the watch turns off due to being covered up?

We've got a few members here (myself included) who've been using android wear devices for quite a while. We'll be happy to help answer any questions we can. I'm not aware of any specific tips and tricks type article/etc, but I'm on my second android wear device and there are others who've had their first just as long or longer than when I got mine.

The screen turns off but the watch remains operating. I believe this happens when you cover up the screen (with your hand for instance ) or don't move for around 30 minutes. LG Urbane. I noticed this happened when I took the watch off and placed it onto a table to take a shower. When I returned the screen was off.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
1. You can set the screen to Always On in the settings. This will make it go into ambient mode instead of shutting off. This is a matter of personal preference, but I personally like to have the ambient mode so I can just glance at my wrist and see the time (indoors. Still have to tap to get full brightness outside). Leaving the Screen Always On setting to On, my watch lasts easily through an entire die with a respectable 50% (at least) left over at bedtime.

2. I believe notifications still come in, but can't tell for sure until I get another one. I've temporarily turned my screen off with that setting to test, but of course, haven't gotten a notification yet.

3. Similar, yet different from turning the screen off with that setting is Theater Mode. This can be activated in the pull down, or (on the Urbane) double pressing the side button. In Theater Mode, you don't even get a vibration with incoming notifications. It assumed you're in a theater or elsewhere where you won't be turning the screen on in the dark to check it even if it vibrates.

UPDATE: I got a few notifications while my screen was off and didn't feel it vibrate. I just happened to turn it back on to see if anything had come in.

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Ambient on always.
I never miss a notification.
Cover the screen to darken it always lights up and vibrates when my phone beckons.

Tap'n Turbo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I guess I missed this thread? Subscribed now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk