Removing stock apps

mattamous

Reaction score
There are a few stock apps I'm wanting to remove like footprints, MP3 store, Peep, stocks, but not sure how to go about doing that. I do have Astro but not sure where to go from there. Any help would be great!!

Threeball

Reaction score
U can't uninstall any of those apps unless ur rooted. In fact, I don't think u can uninstall any of the apps that came w the phone.

Its an htc/verizon thing. They want to prevent people from uninstalling something important.

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo using DroidForums App

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
If you are rooted you can remove any app, or "bloatware" that is on the phone. However you are better off using titanium backup to freeze the apps you don't want. The OTA updates require all of the original software to install said updates. Rooting your phone is fairly easy anymore. Read up on what rooting is and what it does for you. There are several pages of info out there. Just google "rooting a (insert phone type here)". Return to the forums for any questions you have. Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Threeball

Reaction score
Should have added: if u r rooted, then u can uninstall them like any other app. Go menu>settings>applications>manage applications, choose the app and select uninstall.

No need for astro, or anything else.

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo using DroidForums App

OP
mattamous

mattamous

Reaction score
I rooted a month or so ago but when I go to manage applications, it doesn't give me the option to uninstall...?

Threeball

Reaction score
Not gonna say this is the best possible solution but this is what I would do:

First make a nandroid backup. Then, get ES File Explorer from the market. Go into ES and menu>settings>root options and check both "root explorer" and "mount file system".

Now back to the main screen in ES. Now touch the far left icon on the toolbar at the top. This puts you in the home directory of your phone. Navigate to data/app and delete the apps you don't want. Then navigate to system/app and delete what you don't want.

WARNING: Only delete apps ur confident about. DONT delete important apps such as the dialer and the like. Doing so can cause important functions to break down. (But don't worry to much. U can't brick ur phone doing any of this. Worst case is u go to far, mess something up, and have to do a nand restore, then try again.)

You can also go take a look the "The tweak thread" over at xda for some more ideas about what to delete and what to move around.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not gonna say this is the best possible solution but this is what I would do:

First make a nandroid backup. Then, get ES File Explorer from the market. Go into ES and menu>settings>root options and check both "root explorer" and "mount file system".

Now back to the main screen in ES. Now touch the far left icon on the toolbar at the top. This puts you in the home directory of your phone. Navigate to data/app and delete the apps you don't want. Then navigate to system/app and delete what you don't want.

WARNING: Only delete apps ur confident about. DONT delete important apps such as the dialer and the like. Doing so can cause important functions to break down. (But don't worry to much. U can't brick ur phone doing any of this. Worst case is u go to far, mess something up, and have to do a nand restore, then try again.)

You can also go take a look the "The tweak thread" over at xda for some more ideas about what to delete and what to move around.

Dont even delete the apps. Rename them to whatever.apk.old Then you can see if your phone works. Only Then should you delete the apps.
Just google "rooting a (insert phone type here)". Return to the forums for any questions you have. Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
No need to search, there is a stickey right here in this board:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...e-root-flash-android-2-2-froyo-your-eris.html

OP
mattamous

mattamous

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna try to stick to just the apps I listed above so hopefully they aren't anything the phone needs.