Removing blur: effects on speed and responsiveness

Big Ry

Reaction score
I've read that installing a non-blur rom can increase speed and responsiveness. If this is true, how does it work and does doing something like using a different launcher over top of stock blur have the same effect?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

iwearhats

Reaction score
No. A different launcher might make the home screens appear more responsive, but it won't tweak/remove system files. That's where the hotrodding starts.

That is my short answer. I'm sure someone will chime in with a better one.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Hmm so I guess I should consider flashing some roms then :)

holmes6

Reaction score
What exactly is running slowly for you? or what difference are you hoping to see?
The easiest performance gain IMO is overclocking.

I'm interested in finding some definition of exactly what blur includes. I've run with and without and the most obvious thing missing on non-blur is the modified accounts/contacts functions.

Reaction score
Blur is all the widgets added by motorola, but also is sms/mms, email, and some other thing im forgetting. A good idea is to flash a blurless rom and add the blur pieces you want, squidlys rom has that option, I flashed stock from a fresh sbf and ran scripts to add email and universal inbox back.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've read that installing a non-blur rom can increase speed and responsiveness. If this is true, how does it work and does doing something like using a different launcher over top of stock blur have the same effect?

A blur less rom is faster and better than a rom with blur, but it is vanilla and require more apps and widgets to spruce up the phone. Blur lags but it just looks better.

holmes6

Reaction score

A blur less rom is faster and better than a rom with blur, but it is vanilla and require more apps and widgets to spruce up the phone. Blur lags but it just looks better.
While I agree personally, I think "better" is the wrong choice of words.. For instance, the facebook contact integration is a pretty major function. Despite the bugs and speed problem, I'd argue many would consider blur implementation to be "better" even though I was happy to rid myself of it with fission.
I also personally prefer the blur implementation of camera/camcorder/gallery. The AOSP gallery was missing the essential feature of sorting by video/still and had an awful automatic tilt tied to the phone's sensors, so moving the phone caused the pics to move as well (sickening).

Reaction score
all in all, stock aka vanilla aka blurless roms are going to be faster and more responsive hands down compared to full blur or bits and pieces of blur. After you take all that in though... consider this: oc'd at 1.3 on squid's full blur rom I came out with a quad score of over 2900, and that's the highest I've seen for a droid 2 ever, I know quad is just a giant epeen stroker but I can honestly tell a difference in my scores when I tweak my phone.

leakim13

Reaction score
Squids rom is as far as a Quad score is not based on reality... Its like moving the radar detector the cops holding as he shoots ur speed.
Blur wise squids is fantastic but doesnt compare to anything blurless... There isn't an app out there that can "tell" me otherwise, fast its how quick my phone does what it want I want it to do, its not even close.

From the Great North Woods

leakim13

Reaction score
There were two "stock" squids, full blur and blurless... I chose full blur :) as it was my first rom I tried from stock stock, I upgraded with his fit a month, while mixing in trying everything else and removed 75% of the "blur" by the end.

Just like everyones phones oc and uv to different performance levels, same is true with rom reactions. I only speak for my own experiences and would never presume that what works best on mine is the best for someone else, apologies if that wasn't clear.

From the Great North Woods

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Well I decided to flash fission, and its MUCH faster. Sash, the good ol vanilla rom :) God, I hated blur!

I've never got a quad score so let me try now...

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I tried to get a higher score by closing all unneeded apps, turning of wifi, dimming screen, removing live wallpaper, and setting OC min& max to 1250....and I got like a 1508 lol. I put wifi back on, put OC back to 1250 max 400 min, and turned the screen brightness to normal but I still can't get in the 1600's again :( I tried like 6 times! How on earth did you get 2900?!?!?!