Remote Desktop Apps?

hamburglar

Reaction score
Probably not good enough bandwidth and resolution for it to work well. I'm looking for a slingbox player too

DiskCrasher

Reaction score
You can watch YouTube videos without a problem on the Droid, so a Slingbox should also work provided you're encoding at low bitrates and can find a player that supports it.

Luxferro

Reaction score
You can watch YouTube videos without a problem on the Droid, so a Slingbox should also work provided you're encoding at low bitrates and can find a player that supports it.

Slingbox is not gonna work. They supposedly are developing, or stopped, an app for android. But their web browser plugin isn't gonna work on android. And viewing video over RDP isn't gonna work well, unless you want to watch the screen refresh at 1fps, so don't even bother.

I have a slingbox, and wish they would actually develop an app for android, instead of wasting time on blackberry and iphones.

samredman

Reaction score
I installed PhonemyPc. All I can say is "wow.!" I have used remote pc applications (such as logmein) for several years and keep several computers set up just for the purpose of accessing them remotely with laptops when I need special information. Plus, I use remote access to control a couple of servers running under windows. PhonemyPc is performing perfectly. They say they will have more improvements coming, but my experience with it now for many hours accessing two computers has been flawless. And the pinch and expand feature has been executed the way you would have expected the Droid to have had it. I accessed a remote computer of mine and browsed the NYTimes.com site and showed a friend my Droid (at first didn't tell him I was doing the remote thing) and demoed that pinch and expand gesturing. He was impressed saying... "my goodness, I didn't think the Droid did that." It actually provides you with a better browser experience than using the Droid browser.

I put it on one computer and I used that one to launch logmein from which I then accessed several windows servers (all done from my droid running PhoneMyPC). You couldn't tell that I wasn't on those computers. Nesting it like that (having the Droid access a computer which then uses logmein) isn't something you would expect to work right... but again, it was perfect.

Phonemypc may be one of the best apps available. This primarily meets what I needed a portable computer to be able to do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
PhoneMyPC will show YouTube video from your PC well enough, depending on your type of connection (3G ,WIFI) and whether you have configured for "direct-connect" or are using our servers as intermediaries.

Unfortunately, sound isn't implemented yet (but will be), but the point is: for some uses, there are better approaches than RDP.

Reaction score
I installed PhonemyPc. All I can say is "wow.!" ...

We chose to make PhoneMyPC because we're geeks, and this is what "we" wanted. So you've no idea how much we appreciate hearing such feedback.

A few caveats for those who may read this:
* Sound is currently not supported (coming)
* Remote-login is not yet deployed (it is being tested) so if your screen saver locks your PC, you can't unlock it
* There are a few minor bugs (key-mapping issues, etc.), but all are being worked on, right now.

iunknown

Reaction score
Yeah, just wish there was an external keyboard for the Droid:) Beauty of thin clients.

samredman

Reaction score
I am using PhonemyPC virtually non-stop. It really does an amazing job of letting me experience my destop computer in effect as my Droid interface. The developers say that the sound is coming soon. When the happens this product will be complete. Now, you can watch videos on cnn and other places, which the Droid's browser doesn't allow presently.

I plan to use it Sunday, accessing my desktop, showing my DirectTv computer access to any NFL game which I choose (it's something DirecTv does with the slingbox company). Even without the sound that will be just wonderful for me... because I can watch football games without sound. When the PhonemyPC people get that sound going... my goodness, this will be the ultimate killer app.

samredman

Reaction score
You mean how is it done technically? I don't know... but, how are they quality-wise? Excellent. I have a very highspeed connection on my desktop to the internet... so I am, in effect, broadcasting at high speed. Occassionally, there is a slight lag which I think comes from the transmision from the verizon network ( you sometimes see slight stutters in the video)... but, not often, and it never freezes like you might see on Youtube. Whatever is happening on my desktop I am seeing virtually in realtime.

uptheforest

Reaction score
yeah, you figured out what i meant. So it is nowhere near as bad as normal quality youtube videos? The reason i'm asking is that i really want to purchase this app but will not be doing so if the streams are pixelated like Orb/youtube.

heem

Reaction score
I have a bluetooth keyboard here in the office. I just succesfully paired it with the Droid, but it doesnt do anything. Says "Paired but not connected".

Likely keyboard type devices arent supported