REducing Image File Size from Gallery, before sending

GVLBob

Reaction score
From post #3 -
It's Verizon..

Time to infiltrate the nearest verizon tech - to get this ironed out.
I'll update then.

Then your phone should have both the Email and Gallery apps and you should be good to go. Not sure why you can't locate the Email app. I don't think you can delete the stock Email app, so it should still be there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your email app sounds like it is setup with Mac Mail as your email account and name. When the phone is new and you do setup it asks your account name and password then asks to basically let it set itself the rest of the way only asking you to name the account, which it sounds like you named Mac Mail.
Try using it to share a photo. If it changes the format of the photo, that's being done by your email account server and not your phone. You'd have to get with Mac Mail support to find it how to fix that one because it has nothing to do with your phone.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

Last edited:
OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
There's something up with Apple's mac mail - it receives images as PNG - at 6mb.
same image Sent to Gmail - stays Jpeg - but still huge file - 6MB.
Camera setting is set to smallest.
Still no onboard settings menu to reduce file size before sending to Gmail either.

GVLBob

Reaction score
Still no onboard settings menu to reduce file size before sending to Gmail either.

If you look under the All tab in Application Manager, are you able to find the Email app? It should be there, as you can't delete it. Open it and then follow the procedure I outlined in post #6 (you may have to setup your email account first if you have not already done so.

OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
If you look under the All tab in Application Manager, are you able to find the Email app? It should be there,
YES - There's only one labeled as such - and again he's dedicated to APPLE's MAC email. As ([email protected]).

One Can More than likely Name it any entity of Email you Want.

From the phone - I have three email accounts - they all work fine -
We have TWO confused ISSUes - for some reason - there's Simply No Photo Editor on Deck - for resizing -
the second issue is PNG coming into MAC.

LETS TRY THIS -
On your phone -
FROM YOUR GALLERY - image taken with your phone -
send that image to your email account - does your menu button (Bottom Left) list anything related to resize during SHARE feature -
other than crop / draw / etc?

The Betting is taking place - $50 you don't have it.

Last edited:

GVLBob

Reaction score
YES - There's only one labeled as such - and again he's dedicated to APPLE's MAC email. As ([email protected]).

One Can More than likely Name it any entity of Email you Want.

From the phone - I have three email accounts - they all work fine -
We have TWO confused ISSUes - for some reason - there's Simply No Photo Editor on Deck - for resizing -
the second issue is PNG coming into MAC.

LETS TRY THIS -
On your phone -
FROM YOUR GALLERY - image taken with your phone -
send that image to your email account - does your menu button (Bottom Left) list anything related to resize during SHARE feature -
other than crop / draw / etc?

The Betting is taking place - $50 you don't have it.

You would lose that bet for me, if I first choose Email as the app I select to use when I share. Please remember that the icon is "Share Via" rather than "Share". It wants you to choose the app to use. The dialog box for resizing only comes after the app is chosen, if it is appropriate.

OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
You would lose that bet for me,
if I first choose Email as the app I select to use when I share.
Please remember that the icon is "Share Via" rather than "Share".
It wants you to choose the app to use.
The dialog box for resizing only comes after the app is chosen, if it is appropriate.
I don't think so -
1. The APP command SHARE VIA - simply shortened here in context to SHARE -
A bit odd to think it's something else - reading too much into it perhaps. We have the same phone - RIGHT -
Same OS - Android ver- 4.2.2 -

Whether the Mail App is running in the background or not -
One can simply be in their gallery - decide to forward the image - by SHARE VIA -
obviously the apps to share - are displayed -
14 entities - 3 Email Icons displayed. Gmail / Yahoo / Mac - Select one of them - Email has loaded image ready to send -
but no command to alter it's size - in electron metric tons.

Or - right above image - tap once on image -
*You get 5 options - at the Header - In the Order displayed -
1. Going back to Gallery
2. Available Devices
3. Share Via
4. Email - my icon shows Gmail
5. Camera

resizing only comes after the app is chosen, if it is appropriate
And just what is this app's name that is Appropriate? The actual entity by name.
This named entity still remains a mystery yet.
A screen shot - of the resize command might be Appropriate - using said entity.

No sample shown - of what load size was chosen from gallery - to what load it was sent at - to your mail - by share via.
To NOte - resize has nothing to do with Cropping - Correct-o?
Just altered KB/MB Only.

Name all commands used by their function -
As if doing a YouTube Demo.

Last edited:

GVLBob

Reaction score
This is what I get if I follow the procedure I outlined. If you look closely at the image, you can see that I selected the Email app in Share Via to get this dialog box.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
I only Get KeyBoard at that Step - image is already set to the email - as it was from gallery -
There's something else going on to get that command of load size.

GVLBob

Reaction score
And this is the screen shot showing the Share Via screen

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

GVLBob

Reaction score
I only Get KeyBoard at that Step - image is already set to the email - as it was from gallery -
There's something else going on to get that command of load size.

That is likely to happen if you choose an email app other than Email.

See the screenshot above. This shows the Email app in the apps from which to choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try this.
Open your email account. Tao the menu button on the bottom of your device, tap settings.On the upper right tap Add Account. Add you gmail address. Set it up like usual, naming it whatever you want.Gmail inside the Email app should give you the option.
Do you have Mac Mail setup as default sending account in the email app? If so does it need to be default? If not choose another account as default OR if you need Mac Mail as your default account but don't mind using another account for sending photos , when you send a photo via Share , or regularly, tap the sending email account and change it from Mac Mail to whatever other account you choose in the header. You should get choices when you tap the sending account. From there go ahead and send the photo .
How that helps. Come back in if you've got questions about my suggestion

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
That is likely to happen if you choose an email app other than Email.
Doesn't Matter - To Prove the Point - I had another person do any of the same steps on their S4 - Same results - Only a Keyboard.

Others were very surprised as well.

GVLBob

Reaction score
Doesn't Matter - To Prove the Point - I had another person do any of the same steps on their S4 - Same results - Only a Keyboard.

But it does work fine with the Email app, as I demonstrated via the screenshots I shared. @mountainbikermark thought that there might be a problem with the MAC account you set up in Email. He suggested that you set up another account in Email and try that. It's worth a try.

At this point, I don't know what else to share. I outlined the procedure that allows you to resize pictures prior to attaching them to an email and proved that it works. Good luck with your phone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

What I described above in my last posts I tested before I wrote to make sure it worked.
I tested it on an HTC Rezound, Galaxy Note2, Note8, Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Nexus7.

Support Our Troops!!!
< ><
Notate