REducing Image File Size from Gallery, before sending

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
My main issue -
View images in gallery - when about to send it - I can't find action in menu to reduce the file size load -
Most Images on file are 3.7MB - that's just too much to send anywhere - other than Flickr.

Can file size be reduced to say 100KB first?
And Pixel size to maybe 500 x 500 - vs 4000 x 2300 -
Thanks

GVLBob

Reaction score
Sure. Just open the picture is an editor or non-Gallery viewer and reduce the size.

As an alternative, just shoot the pictures in a smaller size, if your email system or app is that restrictive (not all are).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Thanks' - It was easy, built in on the iPhone- when sending an image to email - it Asked - Hard to believe this class of phone needs a special app.
I have no idea what a 'Non Gallery' viewer app it would take -
and always be there to ask 'What Size' anytime image is set to share - that's about the only way I want it in one step -

Was hoping not to add more network data if out of wifi range - to say Flickr - then reroute it again - in a mail.
Flickr at least automatically sets any image to 7 -9 different sizes -
Just pick the one needed - even avatar size is already there.

I'm on a Shared Family plan, Verizon - so no reason to chew it up with large files.

luddy

Reaction score
I agree. I like how easy it is on the iPhone when you attach a picture and it asks small, medium, large, or actual for the size you want.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Weird, my Note 2 asks in the messaging and email app just after attaching an image.

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2

GVLBob

Reaction score
You can do something similar in Android.

1. Open Gallery and select the picture you wish to email
2. Press the Share Via icon at the top of the screen
3. Choose Email in the Share Via screen

This will open a dialog box with the following choices: Original, Large (70%), Medium (30%), Small (10%).

This only works with the stock Email app and not with the 3rd party email apps I tried (AquaMail and Kaiten).

The above approach also works if you start in the stock Email app and choose a picture to attach. That gets you to the dialog box described above.

The above approach also works with QuickPic (a 3rd party photo viewer).

Last edited:

luddy

Reaction score
I'll have to try that for email GVLBob since I've only had issues with it not prompting for text messages. I don't think I've emailed any pics.

GVLBob

Reaction score
I'll have to try that for email GVLBob since I've only had issues with it not prompting for text messages. I don't think I've emailed any pics.

That approach didn't work for me with the stock Messaging app, but works with Handcent SMS (it compresses it if the picture is too larger).

OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
I just sent a cropped image from gallery to Mac mail - originally one of the 3.7MG files.
It showed up 540 x 961 - That's Fine - but in PNG format which is also a larger load - 860KB Vs jPeg.
The same 540 image converted to jPeg is 184KB - that's more like it.

Is this Samsung's default format when you look at the image on file on computer after sending it.

Guess I need to explore this process in the background - or take it to the techs to get the real apps to make it work right.
Going to Google play - is a nightmare of choices - Samsung just needs to make one default if it's there.

Not sure I want to start a new email entity -
The above approach also works if you start in the stock Email app and choose a picture to attach
No Idea with what this means -
A stock email?
Does Gmail or Apple's Mac mail qualify?
I have both email entities on the phone - I'll try Gmail - then add attachment to see how he deals with it.

Thanks

GVLBob

Reaction score
I just sent a cropped image from gallery to Mac mail - originally one of the 3.7MG files.
It showed up 540 x 961 - That's Fine - but in PNG format which is also a larger load - 860KB Vs jPeg.
The same 540 image converted to jPeg is 184KB - that's more like it.

Is this Samsung's default format when you look at the image on file on computer after sending it.

Guess I need to explore this process in the background - or take it to the techs to get the real apps to make it work right.
Going to Google play - is a nightmare of choices - Samsung just needs to make one default if it's there.

Not sure I want to start a new email entity -

No Idea with what this means -
A stock email?
Does Gmail or Apple's Mac mail qualify?
I have both email entities on the phone - I'll try Gmail - then add attachment to see how he deals with it.

Thanks

All S4s come with an app called "Email". Any app that comes with a phone and doesn't need to be downloaded is called a stock app. Gmail is a different but still stock app. I've neither hear of Mac Mail in the Android system.

My attached pictures are JPGs.

This approach doesn't seem to work with the Gmail app.

Last edited:
OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
All S4s come with an app called "Email".
Any app that comes with a phone and doesn't need to be downloaded is called a stock app.
Gmail is a different but still stock app.
I've neither hear of Mac Mail in the Android system.

My attached pictures are JPGs.
This approach doesn't seem to work with the Gmail app.
OK - My App Email - Is my Mac Email -
Possible I set this when setting up the phone. Mac Email is Apple - I just came from iPhone - but still use Mac machines.
Just to clarify those points.

There's an option viewing mac mail by menu button to add account in Settings - no idea what email service the phone used by default -
I have to suspect by Verizon.

GVLBob

Reaction score
OK - My App Email - Is my Mac Email -
Possible I set this when setting up the phone. Mac Email is Apple - I just came from iPhone - but still use Mac machines.
Just to clarify those points.

There's an option viewing mac mail by menu button to add account in Settings - no idea what email service the phone used by default -
I have to suspect by Verizon.

I' m afraid that I didn't understand the above.

But when trying to send pictures from your S4, use the Email app and follow the procedure I outlined previously. That way, you can be confident that things will work similarly to the iPhone process you are used to.

OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
I only have one app - labeled Email -
It's MAC mail, by Apple.

I had to download the app for Gmail. It has it's own icon as well.

The app icon labeled email, that is now mac mail - I don't recall before setting it up - what it was - other than enter in a email address.
Thats now the limit of explaining any app related to email.

Tried a sample image to Gmail - same thing - no menu prompts to alter image file size.

Oh well - that's enough time wasted -
Thanks

GVLBob

Reaction score
I only have one app - labeled Email -
It's MAC mail, by Apple.

I had to download the app for Gmail. It has it's own icon as well.

The app icon labeled email, that is now mac mail - I don't recall before setting it up - what it was - other than enter in a email address.
Thats now the limit of explaining any app related to email.

Tried a sample image to Gmail - same thing - no menu prompts to alter image file size.

Oh well - that's enough time wasted -
Thanks

I got my S4 from Verizon, so it is their version of the software that I have. Sounds like your carrier is not Verizon.

If you don't have a stock Email app, I don't think I can help you any more than I have.

OP
Neoart

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
As I suspected - going to Google Play - search app's - Image resize - over 200 results - & free.
What a worthless chore to review a handful - and then maybe be stuck with a spamming hog pile -
where they want to know your DNA before Lincoln - this is going to be difficult chore -
plus defiant at staying as far away from worthless FaceBook as possible.

From post #3 -
It's Verizon..

Time to infiltrate the nearest verizon tech - to get this ironed out.
I'll update then.

Last edited: