Record TV?

Nblufire12

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have an 50 Plasma TV. Also have Comcast Digital HD TV Service.

I would like to record my shows that I watch on my TV. I have a DVD recorder, but I want 1080p or 720p quality and I don't think the DVD recorder can handle that.

Is there an alternate solution? Like a several hundred Gigabyte external TV Recorder that I can hookup and when it's done recording I can transfer over to my PC?

Any guidance is deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I use Tivo Desktop Plus. It is compatible with the droid now. It converts any show i choose from my tivo now playing list then I just drop them on my droid. Voila!

OP
N

Nblufire12

Reaction score
I'm really looking for 720p video that i can just store on an external harddrive. Not really my droid.

Any ideas?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
TiVo Premier is the best DVR you can get IMHO. It only works with cable.

I've had TiVo's for years and I love them. You get home media, you tube, netflix, amazon.com. You can set it up by landline but for best use you'll need a wireless router.

Go here for more information: TiVo Premiere: much more than a DVR - TiVo. It even comes with a physical keyboard, kind of like the Droid. And with a whopping 2tb hard drive you'll have plenty of room to record. You can also add eSATA if you'd like.

Check it out.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm in the same situation (except DishNetwork), and have investigated the problem. I'm reading the OP as saying he wants a LONG TERM storage strategy. TIVO has several advantages, but ultimately it makes sense to transfer the recordings off the DVR and on to a PC that serves (HTPC, etc.) to a home network.

I also have a DVD with built-in hard drive, but the same problem: it only handles SD resolution. Haven't solved the problem yet, but the best existing solution seems to be using an HD capture card (or standalone box), either embedded in an HTPC or in conjunction with a large USB external drive. The ONE CATCH is how the recording system handles protected content...HDMI-HDCP. Most off-the-shelf systems will detect the protection signal, and not allow recording/transfer. I'm sure there are creative ways to deal with this, though...

-Matt

mikehal38

Reaction score
I bought a TiVo HD off eBay for $100. Great deal on a great product. Highly recommend TiVo and take a look on eBay you may find a good deal.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Any TiVo owners use TiVo-to-go? Does it allow streaming/copying of HD material?

In addition to a Dish receiver, I also have an Archos 605 (160GB hard drive). A nice feature is that I can record programming on the Dish DVR and move it to the Archos. The good news is that it's a straight copy--no transcoding or change in format. The bad news is that it only works for SD content. They promised HD someday, but I don't think it ever materialized. Wondering if the TiVo is similarly limited to SD, or whether it allows you to move HD content around.

-Matt

OP
N

Nblufire12

Reaction score
If I buy TiVo off of eBay, can I record HD 720p or 1080p video from my TV and later move it to my computer?