really starting to regret purchase

GreenAcid

Reaction score
So, It's been almost 2 months since I've had my Nexus. I have had nothing but problems since the first day with it.

First my charger breaks, then Verizon denies me a new charger/new phone within my 14 days. which I've learn to deal with

Everything had been fine up until a month ago. I Decide that I'm wasting my 32gb of memory with only 3gb full, and decide to download every free app I've claimed Via the Amazon marketplace and every app i've ever purchased on the Android Market.

Immidately my phone starts slowing down. I know what you're gonna say, It could be an app I downloaded, some of the apps out there are Memory leaks. Yeah, I know. I've ran all the diagnostics I've could, and nothing is using my ram that shouldn't be. Yet another problem I've learned to live with.

So after this, I notice my phone has stopped being able to send MMS's. It just sits there and acts like it's sending, then eventually (2 or 3 hours later), it'll say cannot send. with no error number, or message. I have tried different messaging programs, GOSMS Pro, Android Default, nothing. I've tried restoring my phone, still nothing.

I'm under the impression that It's because my Contract just expired (I got the Nexus on a family members upgrade who sold it to me). But, before anyone asks, I can recieve them just fine. Just can't send them.

My third problem now, is that the phone is so sluggish, that whenever I try an multi task with a browser open, the browser usually crashes. As does whatever program I'm using at the time too. Everything just locks up and force closes. I've noticed this also while trying to exit a game, or application. It takes forever for my icons on my screen to reappear.

Fourthly, (Yes, I whine a lot, but I don't do it often), I Started seeing the faint lines on Grey & White backgrounds, more and more. Since I keep my brightness at about 20-30% bright, they are pretty much every where. I Googled this the first time I noticed it, and someone suggested going to 100% brightness to see if they were still there. At first they weren't, but now they are just as clear as if my phone was on low brightness, which has been acknowledged that everyone can see them at.

My fifth and final problem, is that my screen/phone becomes VERY hot/warm to the touch while using it for long periods of time (Like an hour or 2). It got so warm yesterday (3/23) that the surface I had it laying on, started radiating heat around the phone.

I really do wanna like this phone. It has a beautifully large display. and I love showing it off. But honestly, I'm wondering if it was really all that it was supposed to be??

I came from an iPhone 4, where everything moved at the speed of light. Nothing crashed, and multi tasking was a breeze. I am in no way an apple snob, and I know nothing as new as Ice Cream Sandwich will be perfect from the get go, but wow.

I am honestly debating on selling my phone and getting an IP4S now. Since Verizon customer service is a Freaking joke, and they want to send me a Certified Like New replacement on a phone that is less than 60 days old, when they should have replaced it under my first 15 days, with their "No questions asked" policy, and they refused, I knew I was gonna have issues.

Seriously upset. I've never had a phone with so many problems before.

PS. When I say free app from Amazon Marketplace, I mean the one they give away every day that's usually a Paid one. I Honestly don't have that many Free applications on my phone.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Are you using an auto task killer? If so, stop.

You can go into settings and limit the number of background tasks.

It's odd that you can receive mms but not send, not sure what to tell you there.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Your MMS issue is intriguing. Because I have the EXACT issues of txts randomly sitting there and being "not sent"...BUT in my case it's the SMS messages that do this...if I attach a small one pixel transparent pic just to convert to MMS (or email it)...works every time. I'm on 4.0.3 with 4.0.4 radio installed. It's done this stock, on each BB nightly, and even on AOKP. Rather annoying to say the least. Luckily for me, that's about the ONLY issue I've had. *keeps fingers crossed*

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
A certified like new phone will likely give you fewer problems than this one has. Sounds like you may have a lemon, bro.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
On the other hand, have you checked to see if there are any apps hogging resources? Look at battery use and CPU use by app and that'll give you a clue about what might be slowing your phone down. My wifes bionic had some app that force closed one time but never actually closed, so for a day or two until we looked at cpu usage and discovered it, it was slow as molasses and got HOT. Just manually closed the misbehaving app and it's quick as lightning again.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Also the iPhone isn't true multi tasking like Android. Sounds like you do have a lemon man. I'm on my second clnd an I've had no problems. Seems you also should have just returned your phone under the 14 days. They have to take it back...speak to a manager or have the person whose upgrade you used take it in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If I had as many problems as you did since the first day I would've exchanged it awhile back. I understand giving it a week or two to give it a chance, but 2 months and now you feel like getting a new phone, you may have just gotten yourself stuck with the Nexus. You can still try getting a CLNR, but good luck...

jclake

Reaction score
You could wipe your phone and start over. I wouldn't mass load apps. If you have an app in your batch that doesn't work well with Ice Cream Sandwich the only way you will notice it is if you install one at a time. And maybe one day at a time. If you do this, it easier to notice when things go bad, you can say what did I change in the last 24 hours. A few days ago I upgraded Volume + to the latest version. The next time I received a call while listening to music, the callers on the other end could not hear me because the music didn't pause for them (they heard the music and me talking). I downloaded the previous version of Volume + and reinstalled it, and now I am "stable" again.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Are you using an auto task killer? If so, stop.

You can go into settings and limit the number of background tasks.

It's odd that you can receive mms but not send, not sure what to tell you there.

How do u limit back ground tasks

???

Reaction score
wow.. the referbs would atleast fix your charging port.

get that, and then sell it if its not better for you.

Reaction score
tyr a factory reset. sounds like you have app(s) causing bugs. most of the allegedly "optimized for ICS" apps cause problems.

Reaction score
Not sure if your still watching this but here goes. I have had an android phone for years now and love it. I am a different user than someone with an iPhone. I have always been jealous of how debugged the iOS has been. It is a tried and true great thing. I like my android because I can change anything I want to about it but I like to hack and code and all the above. If I were getting a phone to be reliable and be a phone then iPhone is what I would get without a doubt. No argument in my book. That said. ICS is the first time android has been able to even COMPARE to the iOS. It will take a while to reduce issues. A good rule of thumb is dont buy the first of its kind anything. More often than not there are issues that suck really really bad.

Now something useful (kinda) for you to consider. With the amount of flexability android offers, I find it easy to get into trouble. For example, I could not send any message at all for a few days and i had no idea until my friends told me i wasnt texting them. I discovered that when I downloaded Handcent, I deleted the stock Message app and that for some stupid reason I had to have both otherwise otherwise Handcent didnt work correctly. So in summary I would like to say that it takes time to get used to the quarks of android. It is newer than the iOS and that does mean there will be bugs and unfortunate (or just down-right stupid) things that must be a certain way. These may get fixed in the future but for now I would try to get a refurbished phone. The screen alone is a huge RED FLAG that its not up to par.

Good luck and i hope that you get a replacement without any hassle.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
As far as the 14 day return, once you moved the phone to a different contract, Verizon will do there best to no longer exchange the phone. Looks like a CLNR is in your future if a factory reset doesn't work. Good luck. Mine fell in the pool last week and still works great.