ICS redraw and lag issue gone with a simple reboot?

Oliver84

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been seeing major redraw issues in ICS and I know not the only one. If you haven't seen it yet, sooner or later, you will. The longer your phone lasts without rebooting, the worse it gets too. My phone was super laggy and would redraw the home screen just about every time I hit home. The lock screen was laggy and so was the keyboard. I tried everything from uninstalling apps to trying several memory management apps but nothing worked. Then I tried a simple reboot and just like that my phone was back to being silky smooth like it was on the first day...

So what's going on and why hasn't Google figured out a solution to this yet? Honestly, I have no idea. All I know is that rebooting the phone has worked not only on my phone but on others as well. Sounds like a cache issue to me but I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know the first thing about this. What do you guys think?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
To me it is not a big deal, a reboot is simple and takes less then a minute. If it is a cache issues, which I believe it is, the reboot takes care of it because it clears out the cache.

And since people were trying to help you in your other thread it may be a good idea to post in there and let them know that their suggestions helped.

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score
Yes, I've posted my results in other threads as well. If it's truly a cache issue, I wonder if just clearing the cache automatically every night would keep things running smooth? I can't really test mines out now because it's still "fresh" but if anyone would like to try that out and post your results, that would be pretty sweet.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What was your up time?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yes, I've posted my results in other threads as well. If it's truly a cache issue, I wonder if just clearing the cache automatically every night would keep things running smooth? I can't really test mines out now because it's still "fresh" but if anyone would like to try that out and post your results, that would be pretty sweet.

FAIL on my part. I recognized your name and the issue but I was thinking you were the OP in that other thread and not one of the people who chimed in to try and help out. My bad, it's hard for me to keep track of everyone some times.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm at 95hrs now. I'll try not to do anything that requires a reboot and see if I notice any slowdown throughout the week

Badbird2000

Reaction score
Ok dummy question.what is considered a reboot? Shut it off and restart? Pull the battery? Sorry..still on my original Droid looking to make the leap to Galaxy Nexus anyday...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ok dummy question.what is considered a reboot? Shut it off and restart? Pull the battery? Sorry..still on my original Droid looking to make the leap to Galaxy Nexus anyday...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
Either one. It's when the phone is completely shut down and started back up. Same as your PC or mac.

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score
It's been almost 3 days now since my last reboot and guess what? Home screen redraws are back!

I'm using SystemPanel to monitor my battery and memory usage but I can't find the "culprit" for the memory leak. He's gotta be here somewhere because I clicked the "end all" button to clear my memory and it did help. Not sure if I will need to reboot but we'll see. I'll post again if it gets bad and I end up rebooting...

bsmith0731

Reaction score
It's been almost 3 days now since my last reboot and guess what? Home screen redraws are back!

I'm using SystemPanel to monitor my battery and memory usage but I can't find the "culprit" for the memory leak. He's gotta be here somewhere because I clicked the "end all" button to clear my memory and it did help. Not sure if I will need to reboot but we'll see. I'll post again if it gets bad and I end up rebooting...

Do you a have a problem rebooting?

Like someone said earlier its a computer. Never seen any one computer not having to reboot.

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score
Do you a have a problem rebooting?

Like someone said earlier its a computer. Never seen any one computer not having to reboot.

I would prefer not to have to reboot my phone on a regular basis. I was under the impression that Android runs on Linux and that Linux does not need to be rebooted to keep it running smooth. Not to mention that Android is suppose to be able to manage memory efficiently so this should be a non-issue.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of my assumptions.

HikenGruven

Reaction score
To me it is not a big deal, a reboot is simple and takes less then a minute. If it is a cache issues, which I believe it is, the reboot takes care of it because it clears out the cache.

Wait? Does this mean that third party cache cleaning apps aren't needed for the Gnex?

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Wait? Does this mean that third party cache cleaning apps aren't needed for the Gnex?

I think he's stating the opposite. He's suggestion that if the cache was cleared regularly than you wouldn't have these issues.

I don't think anything has been proven as to what the cause is. So an app that clears the cache, may or may not work.

I don't believe this is a new issue. The OG would do the same thing and it was never an issue rebooting every couple days. A reboot only takes a couple minutes, not a big deal.