Reading ePub books with Android Kindle App

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by Panamakevin, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Panamakevin

Panamakevin New Member

I have the Kindle app and wanted to get some books from my local library. What folder do i need to transfer the epub files to on the Droid? I saw a kindle file but all that was in it was cover folder... Let me know if this is even possible...
  2. Dragoro

Dragoro New Member

Kindle doesnt work with epub. You can either get the same book from amazon (most classics are free), or try using the Nook app.
  3. Panamakevin

Panamakevin New Member

My mistake, it looks like the format is actually ACSM? Any idea what app for android reads that?
  4. Dragoro

Dragoro New Member

Hmm Ive been reading and using ebooks for years and Ive never heard of that format. Might want to head over to mobileread.com and ask in their forums.
  5. liferefugee

liferefugee New Member

not sure about with the kindle app, but with the nook you normally have a my library folder or something of that nature that you would put a book file in.Since the kindle is limited to only Amazon's formatting, try the nook app to see if it supports that file type. Not sure off the top of my head if it does, but it is one of the more open readers when it comes to format usage.
  6. Dragoro

Dragoro New Member

Not sure about the kindle app, but with the regular kindle, it isnt limited to just amazons formatting, it just doesnt do epub.
  7. DirkJohnson

DirkJohnson New Member

Reading ePub on Kindle for Droid - Easy Conversion

The Kindle app doesn't read ePub, but it does read Mobi format. There's a free converter called Calibre. The details of how to do the simple conversion of ePub to Mobi are in a fine post by Andrys Basten at A Kindle World blog: A Million Free Google Books in ePub - for Kindle - UPDATE

I prefer the interface on the Kindle app and also prefer buying books on Amazon, so it's worth it to me to be able to convert ePub for kindle and have all of my electronic books on the same reader. Otherwise I'm scattered among various readers, each of which I've found to be less than satisfying.

But I haven't tried Nook yet, so I'll download the app now.
  8. DirkJohnson

DirkJohnson New Member

Kindle far better than Nook

Update: I downloaded the Nook app. I don't care if it does read ePub directly. Kindle is a far better app. I'll keep Nook for a while, but it keeps crashing my device and the interface is less than desirable.
  9. GeneralAmerica

GeneralAmerica New Member

So can I transfer an Ebook that kindle doesn't have but is on my computer and read it in my kindle app?
  10. DirkJohnson

DirkJohnson New Member

Reading non-Amazon Books on Kindle

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
  11. workingmom201

workingmom201 New Member

12. webvan

webvan New Member

same here, .mobi works fine when dropped into the \kindle folder on the card but can't figure out how to get covers, have you made any progress with that problem ?
  13. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    I think we've moved outside the realm of Android apps, but I can say this;

If there's a cover in the e-pub it will have a cover when converted to .mobi. If you mean covers on the Kindle app screen then I have no idea how to get them in. I've seen ancillary files in the folder, but I always assumed they were merely the bookmark, as it were.
  14. webvan

webvan New Member

Thanks, yes, the cover is there when you use "go to" in the content, just not in the list.

Actually this is an Android app?
  15. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ah, yes, my apologies. I misread the converter in the first post on this page. :) Comment partly withdrawn.

I'm not sure how they get that little icon unless it's part of the compiler. The .mobi files from Gutenburg have them, but I can't test a Smashwords converted book at the moment to see if it DOES have it on my Droid. It could be entirely an artifact of the conversion process.
  16. webvan

webvan New Member

NP ;-) No biggie, maybe someone will figure it out!
  17. tree12324

tree12324 New Member

I just used Calibre to convert the pdf to mobi, to read on my Droid on the kindle app, worked great. You can also attach any cover from a jpg file on your computer, and convert from and to a ton of different formats. If you are loooking into this I would definitely check it out: calibre - E-book management
  18. REMilk

REMilk Member

My library subscribes to 'OverDrive' for the lending of ebooks. There is an associated app "OverDrive Media Center" that provides the ability for you to read library-lended ebooks or listen to audio books on your Android device. The ebook reader is adequate. You can checkout and download ebooks, put on a "wish list", and put "on hold." When a book you have put on hold becomes available, an email is sent so you can checkout the book. OverDrive supports the ePub format. For DRM control of the ePub books, you need an Adobe Digital Design ID; this can be obtained through OverDrive the first time you checkout a book or directly from Adobe.

Recently, Amazon Kindle began collaboration with OverDrive, and for many libraries, and more are being added, lending books for reading on the Kindle are becoming available. My library system (Henrico (VA) County Public Library) received the Kindle functionality about a week ago. In my opinion, the Kindle app provides a better reading experience than the OverDrive app.

You do NOT have a choice of readers when you checkout/download library books via OverDrive; Kindle-controlled books are read using the Kindle app, while OverDrive-controlled books are read using OverDrive Media Center.

For more information on OverDrive you can check out your local library web site and also check OverDrive – Global distributor of digital eBooks, audiobooks, music & video for library, school & retail.

BTW: The Nook ereader app support the epub format. You move the epub into the folder Nook/My Documents.

Disclaimer: I am an avid reader. I do not work for OverDrive, Amazon, Adobe, library system, or any publishing house, electronic or print.

Enjoy,
    Bob
  19. ckim06

ckim06 New Member

20. Conner7751

Conner7751 New Member

Here is a free ebook tool for you.

You can easily convert your ebook from epub to pdf,epub to mobi, epub to kindle, etc.

Free Online Converter / EPUB Converter

epub to kindle

It provides you with the best mobi to epub converting experience.
Search tags for this page
android kindle app epub

android kindle epub

can kindle app read epub
epub android kindle
epub kindle android

epub kindle app

epub on kindle app

kindle android epub

kindle app epub

kindle for android epub
open epub on android