Reading ePub books with Android Kindle App

Panamakevin

Reaction score
I have the Kindle app and wanted to get some books from my local library. What folder do i need to transfer the epub files to on the Droid? I saw a kindle file but all that was in it was cover folder... Let me know if this is even possible...

Dragoro

Reaction score
Kindle doesnt work with epub. You can either get the same book from amazon (most classics are free), or try using the Nook app.

OP
P

Panamakevin

Reaction score
My mistake, it looks like the format is actually ACSM? Any idea what app for android reads that?

Dragoro

Reaction score
Hmm Ive been reading and using ebooks for years and Ive never heard of that format. Might want to head over to mobileread.com and ask in their forums.

liferefugee

Reaction score
not sure about with the kindle app, but with the nook you normally have a my library folder or something of that nature that you would put a book file in.Since the kindle is limited to only Amazon's formatting, try the nook app to see if it supports that file type. Not sure off the top of my head if it does, but it is one of the more open readers when it comes to format usage.

Dragoro

Reaction score
Not sure about the kindle app, but with the regular kindle, it isnt limited to just amazons formatting, it just doesnt do epub.

DirkJohnson

Reaction score
Reading ePub on Kindle for Droid - Easy Conversion

The Kindle app doesn't read ePub, but it does read Mobi format. There's a free converter called Calibre. The details of how to do the simple conversion of ePub to Mobi are in a fine post by Andrys Basten at A Kindle World blog: A Million Free Google Books in ePub - for Kindle - UPDATE

I prefer the interface on the Kindle app and also prefer buying books on Amazon, so it's worth it to me to be able to convert ePub for kindle and have all of my electronic books on the same reader. Otherwise I'm scattered among various readers, each of which I've found to be less than satisfying.

But I haven't tried Nook yet, so I'll download the app now.

DirkJohnson

Reaction score
Kindle far better than Nook

Update: I downloaded the Nook app. I don't care if it does read ePub directly. Kindle is a far better app. I'll keep Nook for a while, but it keeps crashing my device and the interface is less than desirable.

Reaction score
So can I transfer an Ebook that kindle doesn't have but is on my computer and read it in my kindle app?

workingmom201

Reaction score
If you want a dumbed down converter, I use ePub Converter - Free online tool to convert pdf, doc and other ebooks' formats to epub format. Convert pdf to epub.. It's literally three steps that even I can't screw up and will convert about anything to either epub or mobi format, including html and rtf. Once you've converted your files to mobi, simply paste them in the kindle folder on your droid. The only downside is that I haven't been able to figure out how to get covers :( Anyone have any ideas?

webvan

Reaction score
same here, .mobi works fine when dropped into the \kindle folder on the card but can't figure out how to get covers, have you made any progress with that problem ?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I think we've moved outside the realm of Android apps, but I can say this;

If there's a cover in the e-pub it will have a cover when converted to .mobi. If you mean covers on the Kindle app screen then I have no idea how to get them in. I've seen ancillary files in the folder, but I always assumed they were merely the bookmark, as it were.

webvan

Reaction score
Thanks, yes, the cover is there when you use "go to" in the content, just not in the list.

Actually this is an Android app?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Ah, yes, my apologies. I misread the converter in the first post on this page. :) Comment partly withdrawn.

I'm not sure how they get that little icon unless it's part of the compiler. The .mobi files from Gutenburg have them, but I can't test a Smashwords converted book at the moment to see if it DOES have it on my Droid. It could be entirely an artifact of the conversion process.