Razr vs. Bionic

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Iv own all the droids besides the pro and the 3 and my data drops started with my droid x2 when i had it.
I had the same issues with my X2...the last OTA I got was in the fall around October the 2.3.4. It made a huge difference in the X2...the phone was locked onto 3g after that ...I had no problem at all after that update ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

JRParsons

Reaction score
Traded a thunderbolt straight up for a Bionic, I want my Thunderbolt back. Sometimes I wait an hour for it to connect, sometimes it won't even connect to wifi even when I'm standing next to the router.
This sukks, any phone that can make me miss my thunderbolt really has issues.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mleber

Reaction score
I'm now on the 2.3.6 leaked software ....it is a definite improvement ...still won't pick up 3g while on Wi-Fi to send receive mms with 100% reliability yet...but data drops are much less...I was out yesterday and only dropped data once for a minute ...usually I have no data 50% of the time I'm moving in a vehicle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Where do you get the leaked software and how do you apply it? (basics). Are you sure this is a version that's newer than what was pushed out in december?

Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
got the bionic in september-data issues everyday without fail at work in fairfield nj-did update of course-fixed camera but that was it-i stay on cdma even though i'm in a lte area as it seems it doesn't drop as often-however, where i live in western nj i don't remember getting any data drops at all and it isn't a lte area....yes i can still make calls and do txt just like i could with my old flip phone....and yes, google maps are wothless during data drops which is what i count on for traffic issues on the way home at night on rt 80w....i don't see a fix being promised anymore from VZW either....tough to swallow these days for such a high payout each month....just my two cents.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
The 901 update fixed the data drops for me I haven't had a problem since I got it through the on click update method its in the bionic forums sections

Bionic

Reaction score
From what I understand, the data drops are related to the way LTE-enabled phones auhenticate to the network using a SIM card. This authentication method is new on VZW with LTE, and is used whether you're in 3G or 4G. Each time you move between 3G and 4G, the phone has to reauthenticate. That doesn't always work very well - hence all the data drops.

Putting the phone in 3G-only mode helps considerably, but only because 3G is far more widespread, so the phone doesn't have to reauthenticate very often.

mleber

Reaction score
From what I understand, the data drops are related to the way LTE-enabled phones auhenticate to the network using a SIM card. This authentication method is new on VZW with LTE, and is used whether you're in 3G or 4G. Each time you move between 3G and 4G, the phone has to reauthenticate. That doesn't always work very well - hence all the data drops.

Putting the phone in 3G-only mode helps considerably, but only because 3G is far more widespread, so the phone doesn't have to reauthenticate very often.

I've tried the CDMA mode only (I have a RAZR with the issue, not Bionic). It makes no difference, I still have the same issue, the local verizon store told me it doesn't make a difference if you put it in CDMA only mode, the phone is a 4g phone and is still searching for 4g. Not sure if he's right or not--why would they even have the CDMA only setting then? But in the end, it makes no difference for me, I do have the same issue losing connectivity so the local guy may have been right.

jdroid80

Reaction score
First off, the Verizon employee is wrong. switching to "CDMA only" turns the 4g off.

But your CDMA trouble is strange, I've never heard anyone complain about that before. I've never lost 3g only connection in 2 months.

mleber

Reaction score
First off, the Verizon employee is wrong. switching to "CDMA only" turns the 4g off.

But your CDMA trouble is strange, I've never heard anyone complain about that before. I've never lost 3g only connection in 2 months.

I thought it was logical to just force into CDMA mode and be done with it. Best of both worlds, will have 4g when 4g is actually stable. But that has not been the case. It doesn't matter if I force into 3g mode or not, as soon as I drive into and out of 4g territory I lose connectivity. So, I would agree that I thought the Verizon rep was wrong until I experienced it. I use this phone for work and I just don't know what to do anymore. This phone was great until it pushed the OTA update .748 (from .744), once it did, data connectivity became very unstable. This has now happened with two RAZRs for me. I've logged a support email with Motorola directly asking them what they are doing about it. I did this on Saturday and the reply was that I would have a response within 24 hours. I will post their reply, if I ever get one.

I am coming from a previous OG DROID and I do not want to give in and go to an iphone because I love the flexibility of the OS, etc and am want to rebel against Apple but I don't have one friend or co-worker that is unhappy with their iphone. In the end, we just need phones that work!

Zandar

Reaction score
I am coming from a previous OG DROID and I do not want to give in and go to an iphone because I love the flexibility of the OS, etc and am want to rebel against Apple but I don't have one friend or co-worker that is unhappy with their iphone. In the end, we just need phones that work!
If you really liked Android OS over iOS, you would be thinking of going to a 3G only Android phone over the iPhone (like the X2, Inc2, etc.). It's not like Apple's the only game in town with a non-4G phone. I call BS.

mleber

Reaction score
If you really liked Android OS over iOS, you would be thinking of going to a 3G only Android phone over the iPhone (like the X2, Inc2, etc.). It's not like Apple's the only game in town with a non-4G phone. I call BS.

Good point, I haven't even researched 3g droids!

Zandar

Reaction score
Good point, I haven't even researched 3g droids!
As much as it sucks right now, I'd recommend either getting a 4G capable phone or holding out with your 3G, older phone until Verizon sorts out the 3G/4G handoff nonsense (which they will; a lot of money riding on it). Getting a 3G only phone on contract right now would be unfortunate because you're locked in to an old tech for 2 years. These problems seem to be temporary, and in some places nonexistent.

That said, if you need a 3G only phone the X2 is not a bad choice. 4.3" screen (LCD, but it's said to be a nice one), Tegra 2 processor, and $0.01 on Amazon. I can't think of what the iPhone 4S would offer over this phone for the extra $199.98 you would pay. But, like with iPhone, you would be relegated to 3G for the next 2 years. Depending on your usage, that could either be a non-issue or a huge deal (huge deal for me, since I do so much on my phone and I tether).

jdroid80

Reaction score
1st, what I'd do is trade in Razr as defective. I've used my phone in lots if places, even through the big coverage voids in northern Arizona, and kept great connection.

2nd if you're going to buy a 3G phone, buy a used one on Craigslist or somewhere else with no contract. You can always sell it and jump onto a new phone down the line. Because I guarantee you there will always be new phones coming out.

mleber

Reaction score
First, JDROID80 can you look in your "about phone" and see what the system version is? Mine is 6.11.748xt912. My phone was fine when the version was .744 and then they did an OTA update. I am already on my second RAZR. Got the second one and it was great for a day then it pushed me the .748 update again and kept nagging me until I took it so I did. Then my problems started all over again.

ZANDAR: I completely understand people who say to try to live with it. But if you had this happen to you on a daily basis and you could not make calls or get your email, you would not put up with it.

I contacted Motorola and spelled out my issue, etc and this was the response I just received. I cannot believe that they take this so lightly and that they actually think these are acceptable answers. Could they actually not be working on a fix?

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Please click on the link below to troubleshoot the issue:
My DROID RAZR drops from 4G data to no data at all
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/74514
The last thing we can do is to perform factory reset :
How do I reset my DROID RAZR to default settings?
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/71984
If the issue remains the same, please contact us back or call Motorola Android Support at 1-800-734-5870 M-F m 10pm & S-S 9am-6pm (CST)
We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.
For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at Motorola Home - Motorola USA
Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.
Best Regards,
Romella

Ansa82

Reaction score
Greetings, all. Newb here. I searched around but couldn't find an on-point thread, so here goes.

I have a Bionic. The data drops are killing me. I know there is a new update out or coming out that is supposed to fix it, yadda yadda. But I just got so sick of it today, that I called Verizon and ordered a Razr. I have until 1/15 to decide which one to keep.

Soooooo I would like some feedback: should I keep the Bionic or go for the Razr? Why?

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere (and if so, please direct me to the thread).

Thanks for your help and feedback!

Hi, I also had bionic...in fact I went thru 2 of them. Many connectivity issues! Verizon gave me one more chance and I chose razr. 95% of the time everything is wonderful. Other times Verizon is having issues. I really love this phone because of its slim sleek design and large screen. Also it has excellent battery life. On average I get 16 hours with moderate usage. I say go razr