Droid razr vs droid bionic

DDROIDJ

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Moto Z Force
I have been torn on this issue since the Razr was announced. :blink: One of my concerns is the battery. Had the original Razr and experienced major battery problems within the first year. :mad:

Might wait until a few reviews are out on the Razr and will compare.

JuniorJays

Reaction score
I currently have the bionic. I was pis*ed as all madness when I saw the razr announcement. So I pulled out my mastercard and said "this is going to hurt me more than its going to hurt you!" and preordered the RAZR. I am very excited, and I think they should have just cancelled the bionic and released the razr instead. I mean I do love my extended battery and all, but the RAZR is what the bionic should have been. I have gazelle sending my my box on one hand, and vzw sending my razr later next week on the other, so its all good.

If making and recieving calls is the most important factor to you, then I would pick the razr. moto is known for thei radio patents. Their devices have the best recpetion in the industry, and they are the best at being the actual phone which is the primary reason most people buy them in the first place. I had a thunderbolt. I HATED that phone. I will never purchase another product from that company. Their phones have been proven by me and many others to be inferior in reception, call quality, and signal retention. They are more unreliable, buggy, and seriously not worth the pain and suffering one goes through to "fix" them with rooting/roming/hacking just to get to work as good as competing divices.

I strongly suggest against getting another HTC device if you care about the phone part. Also if updates, support, and reliability are important to you then stay away from them.

I realize all this sounds baised but I was one of the guys who was hankering for the blunderbolt back when it was just a baby rumor in september of last year! I was EAGER to get that phone!

My bionic is far superior in the reception department to my coworkers HTC devices. We are all on verizon. My friends(both att and verizon) whom own HTC devices get inferior recpetion to other devices. It is NOT just how the phone displays signal strenth(as in the number of bars), it is the radios, patents, and how the phone talks to the tower.

Just forwarning you mate!

good luck...

HTC makes amazing phones, the thunderbolt or the blundernolt some say was probably there worse phone ever. Not like every company's perfect cough... Droid X2 ... most of HTC phones are great. The incredible line is known fore performance stability and great user interface .

Sent from my HTC Sense rocking, battery hogging, Droid Incredible

R

RETG

I live in a high desert area, and even though in town Verizon is great, when you start getting out in the fringe areas, it starts showing which phones are really phones and which are bricks.
That is one reason why the fascinate I had for a few days was just that, a fascinate I had for a few days. It was terrible. So, I went to Moto, and have no complaints. It pulls a signal where the fascinate did nothing but look like a piece of plastic.
However, I have a few friends with Dincs. I believe both are Dinc 1s, but could be mistaken. They pull signals where my moto pullls signals and sound just as good as my moto (Droid X). In fact, in one area, a Dinc can pull 3G, and my Moto can't.

So, as much as I understand that moto is famous for radios (had them in my government vehicles for many years), I also believe, the Dinc was just as good.

I cannot speak for the TB since this area is only 3G, and I know of no one who went with a TB.

But now it comes down to the fact that all high-end phones from Verizon appear to be LTE capable, so even if LTE is never used, to get a high-end phone, an LTE phone is needed.

But I sure will look closely at the rezound as wells as the Razr. And I still say the biggest fault with the Razr is you cannot (easily) remove the battery.

fox_hound

Reaction score
battery life

Perhaps your setting were messed up. My bionic has great battery life and i mean that. I am a heavy user.
i bought the extended battery and my bionic has lasted two days and change.
The regular battery lasted me about 16hrs
I already ordered the razr coming on the 10th of nov.
nuff said.
oh and for all you android moto users check your bills found out yesterday that those preloaded games apps charger you 6.99 for
subscribing to the game. Ever if you delete the game it will still bill you. You have to manually unsubscribe.
its under data charges in you verizon bill????

electric6

Reaction score
blur is not as big or intrusive as sense either. Motorola has really listened to its customers. Blur is getting smaller, and less intrusive with each successive generation. It has been said that it is the closest thing to vanilla as you can get without having to buy a samsung phone(meh!). Seriously go into the device and look how book the UI is... Sense is MUCH larger. It is pretty, and much of its additions are fairly functional(like the application scroller in the pull down bar) but for the most part it just slows it down too much for my taste. Oh well each to their own i guess! :icon_ lala:

I live in a high desert area, and even though in town Verizon is great, when you start getting out in the fringe areas, it starts showing which phones are really phones and which are bricks.
That is one reason why the fascinate I had for a few days was just that, a fascinate I had for a few days. It was terrible. So, I went to Moto, and have no complaints. It pulls a signal where the fascinate did nothing but look like a piece of plastic.
However, I have a few friends with Dincs. I believe both are Dinc 1s, but could be mistaken. They pull signals where my moto pullls signals and sound just as good as my moto (Droid X). In fact, in one area, a Dinc can pull 3G, and my Moto can't.

So, as much as I understand that moto is famous for radios (had them in my government vehicles for many years), I also believe, the Dinc was just as good.

I cannot speak for the TB since this area is only 3G, and I know of no one who went with a TB.

But now it comes down to the fact that all high-end phones from Verizon appear to be LTE capable, so even if LTE is never used, to get a high-end phone, an LTE phone is needed.

But I sure will look closely at the rezound as wells as the Razr. And I still say the biggest fault with the Razr is you cannot (easily) remove the battery.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The major problem with any overlay like Sense is the degree it changes the stock android experience.

For example Sense completely changes the behavior of the 4 buttons on the bottom and the menu's as well. So if I go to my fathers who has a HTC and he asks me to fix something - I have no clue how to navigate the menu's. It's annoying and it makes me want to hurl it across the room.

Moto's Blur adds a few nice apps and some bloat. That's it. Otherwise it's stock.

electric6

Reaction score
exactly! Thats why I made the argument that the "moto experience" is smaller, less intrusive, easier to deal with, and the closest UI you can get to vannilla as possible. Sense is a really really fat UI. Its like comparing a chevy avalanche to a chevy silverado. Basically the same vehichles, but the ave has so much plastic, and redundant storage features that it adds around 500-1000 pounds of extra crap to the truck and slows it down to a crawl compared to its standard pickup sister truck. Just like sense...:mad:

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
exactly! Thats why I made the argument that the "moto experience" is smaller, less intrusive, easier to deal with, and the closest UI you can get to vannilla as possible. Sense is a really really fat UI. Its like comparing a chevy avalanche to a chevy silverado. Basically the same vehichles, but the ave has so much plastic, and redundant storage features that it adds around 500-1000 pounds of extra crap to the truck and slows it down to a crawl compared to its standard pickup sister truck. Just like sense...:mad:

well and the avalanche looses towing capacity due to running coil-over rears instead of leaf springs... dont forget the vortech max and tremec trans options :icon_ devil:... eh anyway.
I for one LOVE HTC phones, my wife has an incredible, and even with a screen that got shattered in the top left corner from a 5ft drop onto concrete with no cover it still functions 100% and has a solid data connection, something I can NOT say about my bionic. I've been a moto fan since day one with my second phone (KRZR). I'm gonna do whatever I can to get out of the bionic and onto a RAZR. Other than that the super brilliant display on the nexus would be amazing! As for blur... it's amazing on the bionic, and thats to me coming from a vanilla (Pete's "OTA style" 2.3.4 rom) D1. Love the few widgets blur adds and in fact use most of them everyday.. (contacts, traffic, etc)

oDECREEx

Reaction score
Could I have your thunderbolt since your getting the razr? I'm still rocking the D1 and getting kicked off the family plan here soon since I'm turning 18. I'm absolutely in love with the android OS.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

indee2025

Reaction score
I loved my original Moto Droid but after awhile the software world became too much for him and I had to move onto a droid with better hardware....(he still lives today in FL, gave him to my father who does less stuff with devices than I do and he loves it)

I've had the iphone 3g, iphone 4, Droid X, Droid Pro, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Incredible 2, the Samsung Galaxy S2 & now the Droid Bionic....

I haven't been as excited about any device as I was with the original droid until I got the Bionic...My bionic is stupidly fast with moderate-heavy use resulting in no less than a 65% power left on a normal battery when I wake up the next morning (i charge mostly on my pc via usb when I'm working during the day & I don't charge at night) this is only possible with root and a thorough cleaning of verizon & google preinstalled junk....

The Bionic is well built & it's lightning in a can, nothing I've seen or listed above is a fair comparison, nothing goes from maps navigation to checking something on google to answering a call or ending a call and switching back to navigation as smooth & quick as a rooted & cleaned Bionic...

If you root you will not like the Droid Razr...not because of the lock bootloader which is probably only a temporary issue but those who root will hate it because there isn't a simple way to open the back cover & remove the battery...no battery pulls while attempting to root ESPECIALLY when attempting to use a custom rom in the future will make it a very risky process and not worth having a $650 space rock...

The razr specs are minimally better than the bionic BUT the screen of an AMOLED will make you look at the bionic's pentile screen like an 80's calculator...maybe even an etch-a-sketch there's just no question which is better visibly, but battery wise I like seeing that moderate use on the bionic only translates into 2% of battery use eaten by the display on the battery performance chart in settings....If you're that hot on the thunderbolt I'd wait for it's successor since you sound like HTC appeals to you....

Reaction score
I loved my original Moto Droid but after awhile the software world became too much for him and I had to move onto a droid with better hardware....(he still lives today in FL, gave him to my father who does less stuff with devices than I do and he loves it)

I've had the iphone 3g, iphone 4, Droid X, Droid Pro, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Incredible 2, the Samsung Galaxy S2 & now the Droid Bionic....

I haven't been as excited about any device as I was with the original droid until I got the Bionic...My bionic is stupidly fast with moderate-heavy use resulting in no less than a 65% power left on a normal battery when I wake up the next morning (i charge mostly on my pc via usb when I'm working during the day & I don't charge at night) this is only possible with root and a thorough cleaning of verizon & google preinstalled junk....

The Bionic is well built & it's lightning in a can, nothing I've seen or listed above is a fair comparison, nothing goes from maps navigation to checking something on google to answering a call or ending a call and switching back to navigation as smooth & quick as a rooted & cleaned Bionic...

If you root you will not like the Droid Razr...not because of the lock bootloader which is probably only a temporary issue but those who root will hate it because there isn't a simple way to open the back cover & remove the battery...no battery pulls while attempting to root ESPECIALLY when attempting to use a custom rom in the future will make it a very risky process and not worth having a $650 space rock...

The razr specs are minimally better than the bionic BUT the screen of an AMOLED will make you look at the bionic's pentile screen like an 80's calculator...maybe even an etch-a-sketch there's just no question which is better visibly, but battery wise I like seeing that moderate use on the bionic only translates into 2% of battery use eaten by the display on the battery performance chart in settings....If you're that hot on the thunderbolt I'd wait for it's successor since you sound like HTC appeals to you....

Why do you have to take out the battery?

Anyways, I’ve had the Eris since it came out and rooted cuz Sense is crap and HTC is weak (at least on the eris, but it was that bad) so I’m debating getting the RAZR or the BIONIC.

I guess I’ll wait for the RAZR to come out to see... but i prefer battery life and an easy root and a screen that doesnt kill your eyesight, and the least amount of harmful radiation possible... so hmmmm.

equake

Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone is worried about Battery pulls. None of the Honeycomb or Android tablets have a removeable battery but have key combos for full resets. It hasbeen confirmed that the battery is replaceable like the iphone by vzw techs or those in the know.

Reaction score
That is a downside... its nice to have the option to have a back up battery if you wont be near a charger for a while... i guess ill see the battery life for the razr... :icon_eek: