Razr stuck at boot logo - BRICKED?

menting311

Reaction score
So I successfully flashed an ICS leak last week (210 I think) and was enjoying it even with blur. I wanted to see what an unofficial CM9 looked like on the razr and flashed it using CWM recovery. Upon booting after flash I have been stuck at the boot image every time I try starting. I can get into CWM recover as I did also flash the CWMOnboot.zip.

I am familiar with RSD as I flashed by old Dx quite a bit. I need to know what file to SBF back to my Razr. Sounds like because I was running an ICS leak I cannot go back and flash .181, is that correct? I think I need to use RSD lite to flash an ICS leak. A .sbf file I assume? What one?

My phone is the Verizon (US) XT912.

Thanks so much for any help I can get.

OP
M

menting311

Reaction score
First, thanks for the reply.

**BUT, when I try to access this I get an error: **
An Error Occurred
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#103137] You do not have permission to view this topic.

What do I have to do for permissions?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
First, thanks for the reply.

**BUT, when I try to access this I get an error: **
An Error Occurred
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#103137] You do not have permission to view this topic.

What do I have to do for permissions?
Sorry bout that.

Probably just join that forum. That's actually the best Razr forum out there.

Lemme try and get it for you. Give me a sec since I'm on my phone

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
This how to is by EmericanX on Droidrzr:

OK as the title stated this is for those that are the non-fastbootable leaks. Some of you may have gotten curious and started tinkering. Maybe you got a little to curious and ended up with a bootlooping device. I've already walked one person through this but I'm seeing others that are either stuck or are just curious on how to proceed. You should already have all of the files needed since you're on a leak!

The first step is to create a folder on your SDcard(external) to place the leak.zip on. The process is the same no matter what. You just have to make sure that you have the boot.img for which ever leak you are trying to restore.(used later). I find it easier to organize by naming the folder by which leak build the zip is for... ie:"204","205","206", so on...

The next step to restoring is to either manually restore with fastboot to 181 or use Matt's utility to restore 181. Either is fine just really depends on what you're use to. After that has completed you will not be able to boot quite yet. For those that would want to do it the manual way I can tell you what needs to happen. But I'm thinking most will be using the utility so I'll save that for later.

Note:You will see errors during this process.... don't panic! Its normal.

Once you have restored using the utility you want to reboot the phone. After the moto logo it should go into stock recovery automatically where it will update the radios from the restore process. Let it run its course!

After that has completed and the phone attempts to boot you will see the moto boot logo then the screen will go blank. At this point hold the vol down button and the power button until you see the screen flicker. As soon as you see the flicker release the power button then press both volume buttons and the power button at the same time. This should bring you to the boot loader menu. Use the volume down button to move down to AP fastboot then press volume up to select it. This will bring you to AP fastboot flash mode. Once in fastboot mode once again there is a utility by matt! The unstuck utility which holds two boot images. Either use his utility to flash the boot.img to the system you are trying to restore... or do it manually.

For reference if you are trying to restore build 210 this is what you would do from a terminal/command window.

CD "to the location where your boot.img files are"
Then...
Fastboot flash boot boot210.img
Fastboot reboot

Note:where boot210.img is replace the 210 with whichever build you are trying to restore!

Now once you have flashed the appropriate boot.img you need to get back to the bootloader menu but this time select recovery from the list. Once in recovery select to update from sdcard. Navigate to where you placed the leak update.zip earlier then select it. Allow it to do its thing and you should be set after it completes. If the update from recovery try it a second time.

If there are pending questions feel free to post them here! If anyone reads a question someone else has posted feel free to answer as well.... this can be used for more of a discussion thread as far as restoring the leaks!

Good Luck!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
M

menting311

Reaction score
The next step to restoring is to either manually restore with fastboot to 181 or use Matt's utility to restore 181. Either is fine just really depends on what you're use to. After that has completed you will not be able to boot quite yet. For those that would want to do it the manual way I can tell you what needs to happen. But I'm thinking most will be using the utility so I'll save that for later.

Note:You will see errors during this process.... don't panic! Its normal.

OK, before I start I have a couple more questions (I don't want to mess this up more than it already is!).
First, the quote above states that I should use Matt's utility to fastboot to 181. But from the forums I have seen, I am under the impression that attempting to fastboot back to 181 from an ICS leak will not work, and can even hard brick the razr....?

Second, (this sounds bad) but I don't recall if I had 208,210,211 flashed at the time. I have the .zip on my sdcard still. How would I go about checking the .zip for build number from my laptop?

Thanks again.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You will need to fastboot to .181. The phone will not boot up as its a kind of hybrid of ICS/GB files. Then you need to fastboot the boot.img from the unstuck utility. Then go into stock recovery and force load the zip. It may take a few tries for it to take.

Also, there's not an easy way that I know of to tell the file. I do know that the .211 file is 354.04 MB. The .210 file is roughly 200 KB smaller. The .79 leak is 341.36 MB.

OP
M

menting311

Reaction score
Sorry, two more points of clarification before I start. BTW, it seems (by file size) that I was on 210.

First, Because I was on 210, can I use Matt's utility for unstuck (option 1) for 211 boot image OR do I really need to use what I was on previously (210)?

Second, IF I need to use the boot210.img then it looks like I will need to do this command line style. If so 'fastboot' is not a command. However, I can use the 'moto-fastboot.exe file like ./moto-fastboot.exe flash boot boot210.img Is that going to be the same?

Hopefully I can just use the 211 image from Matt's utility.

Lastly, Even though I was on 210 before. Should I just grab the 211 leak and get it on my sdcard and flash that after 181, regardless of previous version being 210?

Thanks again!

OP
M

menting311

Reaction score
OK, now I think I am really in trouble (please tell me I am wrong). I used the utility to fastboot 181, then used the unstick utility to flash 211, then the steps above tell me to go to bootloader, then to recovery and choose the leak.zip file.
Trouble is that when I go to recovery, the phone reboots and I see the little android on it's back with the red triangle for a minute or two, then it reboots back to "M" boot logo. I cannot get into recovery!

I did install the CWMonBoot.zip the other day, did that hijack recovery and now recovery is gone completely?
Should I try the 181 flash again and see if I can get into recovery then?
Do I need to be using a boot210.img instead of the 211 in Matt's utility? If so, where is that I cannot find it anywhere.

I am getting scared that my battery is going to die soon.

Trevor

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Please help as I cannot get into ANY recovery.

I'm really sorry I didn't get back on earlier... I am not sure on hour recovery issue as that's a new one for me. I would contact Mattlgroff and see what he says.

OP
M

menting311

Reaction score
Brad, that's ok.
Turns out I just happened to come across Matt on the droidrzr chat site. Anyone another individual over there mentioned that although he hasn't done it personally he thinks that once I get to the android guy laying down with a red triangle I need to THEN pres vol+/vol- to get into a recovery option that allows for flashing. I will be trying that tomorrow morning.

Trevor

The_Chupacabra

Reaction score
You can hit both volume buttons when Andy is on his back and that will bring up the menu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk