Razr reviews

1buda

Reaction score
Well I'm due for an upgade this month, and I'm liking the Razr HD. I'd like to hear your pros and cons on this device...

Thanks in advance

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Well I'm due for an upgade this month, and I'm liking the Razr HD. I'd like to hear your pros and cons on this device...

Thanks in advance

Pros:

Great display (better than that Retina)
Feels like quality, not all plastic like some other Androids
Battery life is awesome, the MAXX is better but not for $100 more, thats just a marketing gimmick (and money making one too)
There are a lot of others (HDMI port, upgradeable memory to 32GBs, Google NOW)

Cons:
Really not that many cons with this one for the price to be honest. My only wish is that it had more than 1GB of RAM, should have 2GBs
And the other, is the camera, the iPhone and GS3 cameras blow this one away, but its still very good.
Oh forgot, the "bloatware" this phone has is a little too much, meaning crap apps that you dont want and cant delete off the phone unless you Root it, which will void warranty etc.

PS Rooting on Android phones I never really understood, the biggest advantage of Android over iOS is the freedom you have to customize. But it seems lately Android, certain phones, kinda lock you into there own customization and DROID is a perfect example.

zaphodity

Reaction score
I'm using the Droid Razr HD, not the Maxx version. It's not available in Australia.

Cons: Crappy speaker, camera focus slow and picture quality average. Call quality and reception reliable, although
this depends on a large degree to your network coverage provider.

Pros: Everything else. Battery life very good.

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
Just got the Dev edition about a week and a half ago so far I'm loving everything about it minus the bloat. My only other con for this phone would be the 16 gigs on the phone (should be 32 in my opinion), but having an external memory slot makes it easily bearable.
Currently having bootloader and root exploits for the M, HD, and MaxxHD right now is pure bonus if your into rooting. Though running stock for a week I was still happy with my HD.
I say go for it :D

End of Line.

jimmythegent

Reaction score

Thanks in advance

After a few more weeks with this phone, I would advise you to steer clear of it. Feels great in your hands, but its very buggy and laggy. When it WANTS to, it can be very fast and effective, but its got bi-polar disorder or something because its either laggy or fast.

Go with the Samsung GS4 if you can. I am selling this thing as soon as I can to get a samsung. This phone was cool for a while.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Just got mine 2 days ago.
Maybe I will eventually hate it like Jimmy, but right now I absolutely love it.
Yea, there's a little bloat but 90% of that can be disabled, so really who cares?
I disagree with some folks here. They must have come from a much better phone then I did (Dinc2). The Speaker on the RAZR HD is frikking L O U D compared to my old phone and my wife's i-5.
Screen is gorgeous.
I think the camera is also SWEET! Slow focus someone said? Really? Again.... what phone did you come from?
This blows my Dinc2 camera AWAY. I took 6 pictures yesterday in the space of like like 2 seconds. Try that on a Dinc2. NOT. Multishot = wow.
I really did NOT expect much from the camera and I was very surprised by it.

And the Motorola "Smart Actions" which I am sure the enthusiasts will decry is pure crap bloatware... is I think a really fantastic piece of software.
I set my phone to go silent from Midnight to 8AM, but it will ring loud if any of 3 people call me (wife, work, parents) and at 8AM it goes loud. When it knows I am at work, the ringer goes down to like 1/3 loudness and then after work until SLEEP TIME it is loud as can be. How cool is that? It's a very well done app that I imagine can only get better.
Stock is certainly pretty nice. I love how they put a little cog in the Notify tray to get to settings.
I don't like how the similar sized HDMI and USB ports are right next to each other. That was a dumb idea.
I love the size and the thinness. This is certainly the biggest phone I would get and the Sammys are both larger? No thanks.
It's really nice to finally have Google Now on a cell phone (prior I only had it on a tablet).
I always try the stock launcher for a few weeks before changing anything. I LOVE the Circles Widget that most people seem to hate.
I don't like that I cannot remove the Google Search bar at the top.... I have other ways to get to that when I need it.

Again.... been only 2 days, so maybe I will hate it but so far??? So glad I got this instead of the Samsung GS-anything....

//EDITED//

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Yea, there's a little bloat but 90% of that can be disabled, so really who cares?
I disagree with some folks here. They must have come from a much better phone then I did (Dinc2). The Speaker on the RAZR HD is frikking L O U D compared to my old phone and my wife's i-5.
Screen is gorgeous.
I think the camera is also SWEET! Slow focus someone said? Really? Again.... what phone did you come from?
This blows my Dinc2 camera AWAY. I took 6 pictures yesterday in the space of like like 2 seconds. Try that on a Dinc2. NOT. Multishot = wow.

And the Motorola "Smart Actions" which I am sure the enthusiasts will decry is pure crap bloatware... is I think a really fantastic piece of software.
I set my phone to go silent from Midnight to 8AM, but it will ring loud if any of 3 people call me (wife, work, parents) and at 8AM it goes loud. When it knows I am at work, the ringer goes down to like 1/3 loudness and then after work until SLEEP TIME it is loud as can be. How cool is that? It's a very well done app that I imagine can only get better.
Stock is certainly pretty nice. I love how they put a little cog in the Notify tray to get to settings.
I don't like how the similar sized HDMI and USB ports are right next to each other. That was a dumb idea.
I love the size and the thinness. This is certainly the biggest phone I would get and the Sammys are both larger? No thanks.
It's really nice to finally have Google Now on a cell phone (prior I only had it on a tablet).
I always try the stock launcher for a few weeks before changing anything. I LOVE the Circles Widget that most people seem to hate.
I don't like that I cannot remove the Google Search bar at the top.... I have other ways to get to that when I need it.

Again.... been only 2 days, so maybe I will hate it but so far??? So glad I got this instead of the Samsung GS-anything....

//EDITED//

My almost exact reaction to the phone till four weeks later. It's cool. Just a phone. Still some tweaks are majorly needed

zaphodity

Reaction score
Screen is gorgeous.

//EDITED//

My review was for THIS phone, my previous phone is irrelevant. Does this make any sense to you ?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm sorry, did I offend you? What a rude ass comment.
wtf. Really??

So in other words you completely missed my point?

How's this for an example:
If you came from the Galaxy S-3 and you think the camera is slow to focus on the RAZR.... that would give much more credence to your opinion then if you switched from the Original Motorola Droid 1. Get it?

I came from the Dinc2 which had a mediocre camera. The RAZR HD Camera blows that freaking thing out of the water. In the time it took to focus and snap ONE picture on that, I have already taken 8 on the RAZR HD.

/EDIT/ No need to be rude I suppose.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Swing.jpg

Judge quality yourself, Original Poster.
Keep in mind 2 things when looking at my beautiful son in this pic:
  • The pic has been resized to exactly half the original size to avoid any upload issues here
  • He is swinging, i.e. in motion when I took this
That's impressive to me...

jimmythegent

Reaction score
View attachment 62233

Judge quality yourself, Original Poster.
Keep in mind 2 things when looking at my beautiful son in this pic:
  • The pic has been resized to exactly half the original size to avoid any upload issues here
  • He is swinging, i.e. in motion when I took this
That's impressive to me...

Thats not bad of a pic!! This camera is ok OUTSIDE, but indoors it gets a major major FAIL.

It takes WAY to long to focus and the flash is hideously bright, blinding and yes yes, I know you can lower it but doesnt do much.

I suppose a lot of phones are like this, but I do agree with most reviews on this phone, that one of the major cons is the Camera, no doubt.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Well again it has only been 3 days, but indoor pics =s o far have been just perfect. No complaints there.
Just took a pic in my office. Focus and snapped before I could count "1 missi....*snap*"

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Well again it has only been 3 days, but indoor pics =s o far have been just perfect. No complaints there.
Just took a pic in my office. Focus and snapped before I could count "1 missi....*snap*"

Maybe its my phone or something. I dont know, but the pics I take indoors, say of my daughter (and with the flash off as its too bright) are very craptastic.

jimmythegent

Reaction score

Maybe I am being too harsh on the phone, I just looked and its not bad, but not worth printing.

zaphodity

Reaction score
I'm sorry, did I offend you? What a rude ass comment.
wtf. Really??

So in other words you completely missed my point?

How's this for an example:
If you came from the Galaxy S-3 and you think the camera is slow to focus on the RAZR.... that would give much more credence to your opinion then if you switched from the Original Motorola Droid 1. Get it?

I came from the Dinc2 which had a mediocre camera. The RAZR HD Camera blows that freaking thing out of the water. In the time it took to focus and snap ONE picture on that, I have already taken 8 on the RAZR HD.

/EDIT/ No need to be rude I suppose.

Do you have a history of neurotic behaviour in your family ? :blink:

I think you'll find there will always be something you don't like about a phone, it's very rare that piece of technology
will cover ALL the bases perfectly. Or at least that is the conclusion I came to when I was looking around the comments section
on mobile phone review sites.

So far the only gripes I have are the ones I previously listed.

Live long and prosper.