Razr Maxx - Flashing icon above signal strength meter?

ggeinec

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed a new flashing notification icon on my Razr Maxx, just above the signal strength icon and to the right of the 4GLTE icon. It's teeny, tiny and looks like a little house with a cloud above it (I'm kind of guessing at that because it's so small and not terribly clear, even with a magnifying glass).

When I Google it looks like that's the spot for the data roaming icon but from the documentation I've seen the roaming icon is a circle with an "R" in it. This icon doesn't look like that. And the phone shouldn't be roaming from home which is where I see this icon. I've never seen it before.

The icon was there all evening (at home) and then again this morning (at home). Now, at work, it is gone. Restarting the phone at home didn't get rid of the icon, nor did toggling assorted settings on and off or vice versa.

In case it matters, I updated a bunch of apps from the play store yesterday, including Google maps. The first attempt to update maps gave me an error saying it couldn't download the update (I think the error ended with 82) but I tried again right away and it downloaded and updated without errors.

Any ideas what this flashing icon might be?

Thanks!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That house symbol means you are connected to a Verizon Network Extender. We use one at work to boost the signal. Normally you have to dial a special number to connect...but not always. They help boost the cell signal for better call quality in low signal areas. Someone nearby you must have one.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

OP
G

ggeinec

Reaction score
That house symbol means you are connected to a Verizon Network Extender.

Interesting. Thanks for that information.

I had never heard of network extenders before and it didn't come up in any of my searches to try to identify the icon.

I just spent some time on the related VNE FAQ page.

I get the VNE icon and I get the double short beep when I receive and make calls so I know at home I'm automatically going through this extender since I don't do anything to attach to it.

Is there anything I should be concerned about that I am being routed through someone else's extender and I'm not going directly to the VW network?

Is there a way to prevent connecting to this extender or to unregister from the extender?

Are there any implications for my billing that I am getting routed through the extender? :icon_eek:

Thanks!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't think you should be concerned, it's just like a mini cell tower and since it's signal is stringer than the closest tower, your phone is connecting to it automatically. It should not affect your bill, you are just connecting to Verizon through a "tower" and your normal plan is still in effect. Whoever owns the extender is paying the fee for the extender and may not know that everyone nearby can "see" it and connect to it. From what I have read there is no way to disconnect and no way the owner can prevent who does / doesn't connect. The number to dial to connect apparently just places you on a "priority list" of who gets a connection and who doesn't...at least that's what my IT guy explained this morning...so that might explain why you didn't have to enter a number.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Great. Thanks again for clearing this up for me. I feel better now. :)

You are welcome. This is a great forum. There are quite a few articles about these extenders on line if you search and most say a lot of the same thing. As long as your phone is not dropping calls as you move around your home / work area there shouldn't be any problems from your end. Someone else is paying for you to have a better cell signal!