Razr MAXX - Crash, crash, crash! Help!

kstrehle

Reaction score
Wow. What a giant pain in the rear this has been. Unboxed and activated my MAXX yesterday afternoon and like any phone geek, I was excited! Frustration then ensued. I am upgrading from a Droid X, btw, and if this crap continues, I may be going right back. Here's my list of issues thus far:

*Since activated about 18 hours ago, it has crashed at least 12 times (not exaggerating). This is happening through normal use. I'm not trying to do anything out of the ordinary... device just reboots itself. Shortly after activation, I did complete the OTA update to system version 6.12.173.XT912 and so I did not use the "out of the box" version of the OS for very long. Considering wiping the phone and starting over?

*I downloaded GO SMS Pro (had been using faultlessly on DroidX) and it caused my Yahoo email (through the Android email messaging, not the Yahoo Mail app) to not update and I received probably 20 text messages from short code 6250 with some cryptic message: VZWNMN: 1. So, this morning I did a quick Google search and saw a couple results that led me to believe I needed to remove the GO SMS app. I did and my email started to sync immediately and the text messages stopped. The native text app is crap. Guess I'll try Handcent again?

*Now, with the integrated email messaging, my Yahoo account only gives me the option to sync 3 folders. Inbox, Sent and Trash. Why? On the X, I had access to all my Yahoo folders. I really don't want to use the Yahoo Mail app because it just isn't that great.

*Wireless is not connecting at all. I turn wireless on and ask the phone to scan for networks, like my home network that multiple devices are connected to and it doesn't pull anything down. Finally found a network today but wouldn't connect to it. I have an unlimited data plan and with the 4G speed, wireless really isn't necessary except at home to control stuff on my computer over the network.

*Positives that I can take away so far: 4G is blazing fast (in Cincinnati). Phone is sleek and fast, battery seems to be OK so far, will know more on that front in the next few days.

*If anyone has any ideas on what the @#$% is going on with this thing, please let me know. Thanks!

Rckymtn

Reaction score
Seems like you got a faulty device...get it replaced.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

birdiebo

Reaction score
Is there a consensus on whether to accept the OTA update? I'm getting my Maxx tomorrow, and it seems that people are having issues with a possibly-flawed update.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Is there a consensus on whether to accept the OTA update? I'm getting my Maxx tomorrow, and it seems that people are having issues with a possibly-flawed update.
runs perfect for me and many others. Not sure where you are seeing that it's a flawed update...can you possibly link me?

cece5702

Reaction score
Take it back and make sure you do it within your 14 day "return" period so they can give you another new phone and not at certified, refurbished whatever!!!! :)
Wow. What a giant pain in the rear this has been. Unboxed and activated my MAXX yesterday afternoon and like any phone geek, I was excited! Frustration then ensued. I am upgrading from a Droid X, btw, and if this crap continues, I may be going right back. Here's my list of issues thus far:

*Since activated about 18 hours ago, it has crashed at least 12 times (not exaggerating). This is happening through normal use. I'm not trying to do anything out of the ordinary... device just reboots itself. Shortly after activation, I did complete the OTA update to system version 6.12.173.XT912 and so I did not use the "out of the box" version of the OS for very long. Considering wiping the phone and starting over?

*I downloaded GO SMS Pro (had been using faultlessly on DroidX) and it caused my Yahoo email (through the Android email messaging, not the Yahoo Mail app) to not update and I received probably 20 text messages from short code 6250 with some cryptic message: VZWNMN: 1. So, this morning I did a quick Google search and saw a couple results that led me to believe I needed to remove the GO SMS app. I did and my email started to sync immediately and the text messages stopped. The native text app is crap. Guess I'll try Handcent again?

*Now, with the integrated email messaging, my Yahoo account only gives me the option to sync 3 folders. Inbox, Sent and Trash. Why? On the X, I had access to all my Yahoo folders. I really don't want to use the Yahoo Mail app because it just isn't that great.

*Wireless is not connecting at all. I turn wireless on and ask the phone to scan for networks, like my home network that multiple devices are connected to and it doesn't pull anything down. Finally found a network today but wouldn't connect to it. I have an unlimited data plan and with the 4G speed, wireless really isn't necessary except at home to control stuff on my computer over the network.

*Positives that I can take away so far: 4G is blazing fast (in Cincinnati). Phone is sleek and fast, battery seems to be OK so far, will know more on that front in the next few days.

*If anyone has any ideas on what the @#$% is going on with this thing, please let me know. Thanks!

wyld

Reaction score
I would take it back!!!!

Razr-Eclipes-1.2.1

birdiebo

Reaction score
runs perfect for me and many others. Not sure where you are seeing that it's a flawed update...can you possibly link me?
I thought I'd read on the regular Razr forums that people were experiencing freezes and data drops after receiving the latest OTA update, so I was debating whether to go ahead and install it right away, or wait for VZW to correct whatever the problem might be.

Trash Can

Reaction score
I thought I'd read on the regular Razr forums that people were experiencing freezes and data drops after receiving the latest OTA update, so I was debating whether to go ahead and install it right away, or wait for VZW to correct whatever the problem might be.

I'm sure there are some people who still experience data drops, but the latest OTA virtually eliminated the problem for most, myself included.

DarthKinetic

Reaction score

mine updated ,no issue here.

I say trade that pos in and start over, one app at a time.

gunn

Reaction score
No problem with my phone either before or after new releases.

BTW, it's hard to use s few complaints on this one forum as an indication that the OTA release is buggy/flawed. It's a very skewed data set.
For every person who has an issue and bothers to go online to find other people with the very same phone to complain about it, I'm willing to bet there are 100-1K users who have bought these phones from VZW and haven't had any issues with the firmware update.
-g

PS. I'd do a hard reset on your phone and if the phone continues to crash, take it in. You can then just tell them you "tried that already" since this will probably be their first way to turn you away.