Razr M - DLNA playback problem

GaryLearned

Reaction score
I have been unable, using either the camera or gallery app on the phone, to 'play on' my DLNA enabled Panasonic GT30 plasma tv. The Razr and GT30 find each other (by name - so I'm sure they're connecting via my wireless router), but when I select the GT30 as the playback device, I very briefly see (on the Razr) the screen that actually has the 'play slideshow' button, then up pops a new screen with the following error message:

"Exception while processing

The playback has been stopped
because of some unknown exception,
please re-try playing on the renderer"

Anyone have a suggestion?

OP
G

GaryLearned

Reaction score
Sorry 'bout that... this is a brand new phone running JB,and I'm a brand new mobile user (that had to do some searching to figure out what in hell ICS and JB mean!). :)

I had read the referenced thread, but was still stumped. Then I went back and looked at the error msg a little closer... aha! I have to run the show from the TV - "...please retry playing on the renderer." That sound you heard was me slapping my forehead.

Thanks,
Gary

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Try going to the picture or video in gallery , select share, look for DLNA .. I don't have a RAZR M but I know this works for some phones.

If that doesn't work, try Imediashare from market.

Just some other options, but glad you got it to work. :)

Last edited:

Spey

Reaction score
Sorry 'bout that... this is a brand new phone running JB,and I'm a brand new mobile user (that had to do some searching to figure out what in hell ICS and JB mean!). :)

I had read the referenced thread, but was still stumped. Then I went back and looked at the error msg a little closer... aha! I have to run the show from the TV - "...please retry playing on the renderer." That sound you heard was me slapping my forehead.

Thanks,
Gary

GaryLearned,
No worries, I can not tell you how many times the answer to a problem was embedded in something I read in the very early stages of working out a solution, "Then I went back and looked at the error msg a little closer... aha!" I too am relatively new to Android commitment. It seems enlightenment can come simply from review ... when we have open & clear mind that's ready for fresh interpretation of things, especially after we have expanded our knowledge base.

Sorry for the earlier post I made OTA/ICS/JB, etc., but glad to hear you did some research to understand these basic nomenclatures related to your device. When posting for assistance, I believe it's always more productive to include the OS (operating system) and version (JB v4.1.1 = JellyBean version 4.1.1 OTA = Over The Air release). I think this helps to weed out answers potentially unrelated to what you are running. JB was just recently OTA pushed to the Razr M (previously all devices were running ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich). OTA means via the service provider network (vs. say loaded via USB from computer and/or from an SD-card like many folk run a newer OS version before it's released via OTA). Push vs. Soak (Push is akin to final release to the general public via OTA or sometimes via download) vs. Soak (Soak is like a pre-release optionally test version that folks can download and run). Example: I think last week JB Soak transitioned into Push for the Razr HD.

Hope this helps, rather than confusing further.
Regards,

Spey

Reaction score
GaryLearned,

I do not "have to run show from the TV", everything is run from the phone (XT907 Razr M).

Wanted to make sure you understood the process of DLNA to a network connected TV is really simple (provided your network is established (both TV & phone are connected to same network), and run from the device not the TV. There may be multiple ways of doing this, but ... Here's simple step by step process example that worked the first time and every time for me:

1. TV & Phone ON & Network Connected (my Phone via WiFi & TV via Ethernet LAN Cable and/or WiFi)
2. In Gallery (on the phone), view a Photo.
3. Upper Menu Bar press Play Icon (Play on media device).
(the Play Icon, to get to "Play on media device" menu, will have small white rectangular bottom left - if not you may be viewing a folder vs. individual photo, & unable to acces "Play on media device" menu referenced here.)
Should bring up a menu with any/all playback media devices listed for your selection.
4. Press the Playback Device you want.
( [TV]Den - is my specific playback device for network connected 46" FlatScreen).
(the specific names you see listed - I believe will be the same you have given those devices via your network setup - for me they were named in my Cisco Dual-Band Router Setup)
(Your options may/will vary base on network connected DLNA devices when you connect.)
(If the playback device you want is not listed, you may select "Scan").
(If "Scan" does not return device you want, then you have network related issue to work out -step-1- b4 DLNA is going to work as you want).
5. After pressing the playback device I want, 1 - 2 seconds later picture is displayed on playback device (DLNA device).
Picture is also displayed on phone, along with the playback control functions (advance/back, slideshow, etc.).
(you may need to expand picture to full screen before DLNA Playback will display on the device).
6. Control Playback from your device (XT907 Razr M).
7. Exit Playback (and DLNA) by pressing the Return Button on the phone.

So everything is initiated and controlled from the phone.
It's really a lot easier, and a lot more intuitive than all the steps above, but it seems there are a few places that what might be "intuitive" to one person may not even be noticed by another (hence this long post).

Hopefully some resolve for those having issue with DLNA Playback to Network Connected DLNA Devices.

Last edited:
OP
G

GaryLearned

Reaction score
GaryLearned,

I do not "have to run show from the TV", everything is run from the phone (XT907 Razr M).

Wanted to make sure you understood the process of DLNA to a network connected TV is really simple (provided your network is established (both TV & phone are connected to same network), and run from the device not the TV. There may be multiple ways of doing this, but ... Here's simple step by step process example that worked the first time and every time for me:

1. TV & Phone ON & Network Connected (my Phone via WiFi & TV via Ethernet LAN Cable and/or WiFi)
2. In Gallery (on the phone), view a Photo.
3. Upper Menu Bar press Play Icon (Play on media device).
(the Play Icon, to get to "Play on media device" menu, will have small white rectangular bottom left - if not you may be viewing a folder vs. individual photo, & unable to acces "Play on media device" menu referenced here.)
Should bring up a menu with any/all playback media devices listed for your selection.
4. Press the Playback Device you want.
( [TV]Den - is my specific playback device for network connected 46" FlatScreen).
(the specific names you see listed - I believe will be the same you have given those devices via your network setup - for me they were named in my Cisco Dual-Band Router Setup)
(Your options may/will vary base on network connected DLNA devices when you connect.)
(If the playback device you want is not listed, you may select "Scan").
(If "Scan" does not return device you want, then you have network related issue to work out -step-1- b4 DLNA is going to work as you want).
5. After pressing the playback device I want, 1 - 2 seconds later picture is displayed on playback device (DLNA device).
Picture is also displayed on phone, along with the playback control functions (advance/back, slideshow, etc.).
(you may need to expand picture to full screen before DLNA Playback will display on the device).
6. Control Playback from your device (XT907 Razr M).
7. Exit Playback (and DLNA) by pressing the Return Button on the phone.

So everything is initiated and controlled from the phone.
It's really a lot easier, and a lot more intuitive than all the steps above, but it seems there are a few places that what might be "intuitive" to one person may not even be noticed by another (hence this long post).

Hopefully some resolve for those having issue with DLNA Playback to Network Connected DLNA Devices.

My attempts had indeed covered the steps you outlined, with everything going fine through step 4. It's step 5 where things go sideways... as I stated in my original post, it's when you select the playback device that the error message pops, indicating the show must be run from the renderer. Maybe it's a problem that is specific to the Panasonic GT30.

Spey

Reaction score
I assume the Panasonic GT30 is your TV.
Can you play back a photo vs. movie or video (ie., does DLNA work for anything)?
From what you wrote, indicates your phone is seeing the TV on the network via DLNA (you got thru Step-4).
Perhaps it's hardware related issue of the TV.

Searched a couple minutes and found this comment related to Panasonic GT30 playback of movie files:
In order to playback over the DLNA protocol, UPnP, you need a proper DLNA certified/capable renderer to do so, like PS3, Boxee Box, VLC, etc. See http://info.vortexbox.org/tiki-index...rdware_Players for some suggested hardware and software players that render content over UPnP.
*I do not know if this is directly related to your situation (was just one of the first search query hits returned to my that sounded feasible). If it applies, indicates to me that your TV is lacking hardware to support stand-alone playback that I believe you are attempting.

I know that on my Samsung LED flat screen I can play back photos, movies, etc. directly from external storage drives or from any place on my network without the need for additional hardware. Possibly the specs on the GT3 might indicate a need for a external rendering device for movie playback ...? Suggest that you look into the spec's/instructions on your TV to confirm built-in capabilities and support. I know direct play back from drives was a requirement of mine when I was shopping for last flat screen direct movie playback (via thumb drives, USB drives, NAS drives, drives on another network attached computers, etc.), in file types that I typically prefer (.mkv, .mp4, .H264, etc.) without conversion prior to playback. (Additional support both direct LAN cable and 802.11n wireless on the TV.) To accomplish this the TV must have some type of processor with graphics support and some amount of memory for buffering. I put this out there for you as illustrative example of considerations I had to make during recent TV upgrade I did at home, to be able to facilitate needs I had/wanted along with considerations I needed to understand.

If your TV does have this type of hardware (to support movie palyback), it could be possible that it just does not support the file type (.mkv vs. .avi vs. mp4, etc. - file compression technology) and/or the amount of data (standard definition, HD, 480p, 720p, 1080p). So maybe try a movie ina differenct file compression format.

I'm thinking that even though your TV may "support" DLNA, it may not have the built-in hardware to accomplish the task see you're looking to do without additional hardware support (xBox, PS3, etc. and/or VLC on an intergrated Media Computer). Of these examples, I have only had experience with VLC (was/is my go-to playback software for video).

Optional potential intern workarounds would include playback via direct HDMI cable connection, network connected media-computer (connected to TV - our last configuration before new Samsung), net-media device plugged into TV (our current configuration on secondary TV that is not net-capable).

Hopefully some help here or maybe some direction to find some solution and/or workaround for your problem.
Regards,

Last edited:

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Certain TV's only support limited DLNA. I have a Sony Google TV which only accepts DLNA Pics. Is other ways around it, but a a fyi in case you didn't know..

Spey

Reaction score
Certain TV's only support limited DLNA. I have a Sony Google TV which only accepts DLNA Pics. Is other ways around it, but a a fyi in case you didn't know..

Shadez,
Thanks for the comment related to Sony Google TV not supporting DLNA movie playback. :blink:

I had been having a little buyers remorse on my recent Samsung LED related to less than full featured Google Chrome internet browsing on my Samsung (more like a Chrome app instead of full Chrome version like on a desktop). Hoping/waiting for a Samsung/Chrome update (especially with consideration for Google abortion of companies like Motorola and their recent partnership with Samsung). I would have assume a "Sony Google TV" to support the full version of Google Chrome and also direct movie playback equal to or better than the Samsung I got. Another case of buyer beware (do your homework, understand your needs b4 laying out the cash).

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Dunno if that was sarcasm or not :p Anyways, let's all get on the straight page. What are you trying to do? Play videos via DLNA? And if so what TV? Sorry if you said it I erased everything in memory up until this moment :) That wasn't sarcasm,, friendly humor.. but, seriously, what is your ultimate goal?