Razr M. I returned it

phositadc

Reaction score
I've had 3 now (don't ask). 2nd one was pure crap. Constantly dropping 3g/4g, even at my house which is within a couple hundred yards of a tower, where even the Tbolt and Bionic worked great!

This one seems to be (knock on wood!) working as solid as the first one again. So maybe there's an occasional device with a bad antenna or something... who knows.

And I edited your post b/c your "as" for some reason autocorrected to "a**" in both cases ;)

jntdroid,

If you use gmail or gtalk, can you go check out my post at https://forums.motorola.com/posts/9ece2860f0 and see if your google notifications are delayed when you are connected to wifi? Seeing the posts in these threads about people having better 4g success after a return makes me wonder if perhaps I got an M with bad wifi.

If at least a few people will confirm that they do not have the same notification delay on wifi, I will do a factory reset to see if that fixes it, and if not, I will take it back to Best Buy for an exchange.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
jntdroid,

If you use gmail or gtalk, can you go check out my post at https://forums.motorola.com/posts/9ece2860f0 and see if your google notifications are delayed when you are connected to wifi? Seeing the posts in these threads about people having better 4g success after a return makes me wonder if perhaps I got an M with bad wifi.

If at least a few people will confirm that they do not have the same notification delay on wifi, I will do a factory reset to see if that fixes it, and if not, I will take it back to Best Buy for an exchange.

just responded over there

bmetelsky

Reaction score
I went back and got a new M after I waited a week and this one is working as well as my Max :happy3:

Awesome news! I just got my M yesterday afternoon. I think it's going to be a great phone. Super fast, small but not tiny, excellent 4G connectivity here. dancedroid

dan.dar

Reaction score
Can't bring myself to return mine. I love the design, size, screen (wish it was hd, but talking mostly about amoled.)

The 4g is weak no doubt but I've read similar complaints on s3 forums. It might have something to do with the new Qualcomm radio chipset everyone is using. It's good for battery but not as good at reception as older phones were (ie bionic, charge, og razr).

There is nothing out there that I like more. I played plenty with s3, og razr, iPhone and none of them do it for me like this phone does.

Sent from my Droid RAZR M using Tapatalk.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can't bring myself to return mine. I love the design, size, screen (wish it was hd, but talking mostly about amoled.)

The 4g is weak no doubt but I've read similar complaints on s3 forums. It might have something to do with the new Qualcomm radio chipset everyone is using. It's good for battery but not as good at reception as older phones were (ie bionic, charge, og razr).

There is nothing out there that I like more. I played plenty with s3, og razr, iPhone and none of them do it for me like this phone does.

Sent from my Droid RAZR M using Tapatalk.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I've been testing out an Incredible 4G alongside it for a few days now. They're the only two devices with a small form factor that are also rockin' the S4 chipset. Not to debunk your theory, but the Inc 4G gets great reception - both in experience and when comparing dbm's. Just for what it's worth. It's the same processor, though clocked at 1.2ghz instead of 1.5.

Pound for pound the Inc 4G seems to match up, or exceed, the M. But it sure got a bad rap out of the gate. Form factor is obviously not as solid or "tight", but everything else (battery life, screen, reception, a killer camera, etc.) is as good or better. But it's a different feel and experience, and one that I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the M for.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
For what it's worth, I have not been able to convince myself to go back to my Maxx. The two biggest things that have me favoring the M are the size and the UI. I love that I don't have to hold the home button to get my recent apps but instead a quick tap on the dedicated on screen button. Everything I want quick access to is just there. All the other things that matter have been equally as good with the M.

Reception: I have had one dropped call. This is in the same specific area that I can count on a dropped call (happens to be going under the stone arched train bridge by my house). Other phones I have had lose the signal in this area for about a mile stretch. Both my Maxx and M keep the signal until I go under the bridge and can immediately pick it back up again after I pass it.

4g/3g: I hold the connection with no laps at all. At home and various areas I visit frequently I only have 3g. Some areas are very weak 3g where previous phones are not able to keep a connection or have to try to hold the phone to the sky hoping to pick one up. Both my Maxx and M can always get 3g in these areas no problem. In the city is 4g. Have been there all week and no dropped 4g at all and is as lightning fast as my Maxx.

Display: the colors seem more brilliant and clear on my M. I also keep my display at 25% on my M where I had to have at least at 30% on my Maxx. Outside in sun, no problems even on a dimmer setting (Maxx always needs to be at 100% outside).

Camera: Sorry, I have not taken the time with this yet so cannot report.

Battery: Is shocking. It seems that 5-7 hours of on screen time is going to give me 17-24 hours on either phone. My Maxx has rarely made it past 30 hours (I don't go to extreme measures to save battery on either phone). Yesterday's M battery was surprising. See screen shots below...

View attachment 56757

View attachment 56758

View attachment 56759

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That comparison pic of your Maxx next to your M was a great example of how Moto has tweaked the screen since the Maxx.

Just curious if you use a case on the M or not?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yeah just a gel case. They seem to be the least intrusive and protect my phones well.

JWool

Reaction score
So far the Razr M is working good for me, the problem I had complained up about my droid X and X2 about, which was the screen would lock up after talking on the phone for several minutes.

dan.dar

Reaction score
Well I said I couldn't make myself return it but after sitting yesterday in 3g while everyone else had two or three bars in 4g I packed it up today and back it goes. Great phone but really disappointed in Motorola.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

bmetelsky

Reaction score
Well I said I couldn't make myself return it but after sitting yesterday in 3g while everyone else had two or three bars in 4g I packed it up today and back it goes. Great phone but really disappointed in Motorola.

Are you going to swap it for another that works, or get a different phone entirely?

dan.dar

Reaction score
Are you going to swap it for another that works, or get a different phone entirely?

I don't believe its my phone only. From what I've seen personally and on different message boards the problem lies with the phone's design.

I'll wait to see how the hd models perform and what the new Nexus will be like. If I hear that Motorola came out with a software update to the radio on the M I'll take it under consideration again.

It wasn't just the radio though. The built in gallery app has broken functionality with Picasa online sync in favor of paid Verizon cloud backup services (The cloud in upper left corner while in gallery app). I would've overlooked it if the radio was fine cause I really like this phone.

Oh well the ball is a in Motorola's court. They can get me back as a customer but they need to execute.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Though I don't necessarily disagree with you on the phone's design, I experienced first hand a unit that performed poorly. It was horrible- it was like it was afraid of 4G. Clearly a lemon of some sort. The one I exchanged it for has been flawless. I think it still could use some software tweaks to help it stay in 4g a little longer in certain spots, but otherwise it's been great. I do live in a very strong 4g area, for what it's worth.

I can understand you not wanting to mess with that though!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

steve285

Reaction score
bmetelsky said:

I have no 4g on my phone at all but when I turn it on it lights up for a min. But after that it goes to 3g I have the razor m as well as my girlfriend and she has the same problem what can I do to fix this problem

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
steve285 said:
I have no 4g on my phone at all but when I turn it on it lights up for a min. But after that it goes to 3g I have the razor m as well as my girlfriend and she has the same problem what can I do to fix this problem

Be sure it's not set on the default global data by going to settings --->more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA. That makes a difference because it is not searching through several different networks to get a connection.

Oh, and welcome to DroidForums!