razr knows location when GPS is off

surrealkiller

Reaction score
How does my location based smart action know when to turn on when my GPS is turned off?

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Location can be determined by your network cell towers as well as GPS. Using triangulation based on your proximity to the three closest towers and the signal strength each tower is receiving from you. Your actual location will be more accurate the closer you are to more towers (6 towers will be more accurate than 3).

This post is Incredible 2

OP
S

surrealkiller

Reaction score
Is there any way i can turn that off? I dont really like my phone tracking me when i dont want it to

LT*

Reaction score
Is there any way i can turn that off? I dont really like my phone tracking me when i dont want it to

With a screen name like yours, I would think that could be a problem.

Airplane mode or power off might stop this, but I believe you are always trackable on the network via the cell towers if you have a cell signal.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Do you have all of your location services disabled, including Google and Verizon? Those are the two that primarily use your network connection in determining your location.

Also, some measure of location will always be active for emergency calls. There's no way to turn that off in the stock settings.

OP
S

surrealkiller

Reaction score
Beautiful. You nailed it. My noob behind still had google location on
I turned it off at one point but i must turned it back on for some service or other and forgot to turn it back off. -1 for the noob.