randomly getting horrid battery life

x25064

Reaction score
Hey all,

So my phone will only last for 4-5 hours currently with light use. Not sure what the deal is, since I could make it to about 10 with heavy use.

Is there an app out there that would pinpoint exactly where my drain is coming from? The system battery breakdown doesn't indicate anything except my screen using a lot of power. (Which is normal)

Probably going to wipe it with razrutility but before I do, I wanted to see if maybe it was a troublesome app.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Thanks man, so according to that app, it looks like "kernel" is taking up most of the battery. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Yeah, first try to wipe cache from the recovery screen. If that doesn't work then do a factory reset.

I have the same issue with my RAZR ever since the ics upgrade. I'm having to perform a FDR almost every month.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Ugh I really wish we could flash back to GB....

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I just wish there was a way I could figure out why the kernel goes nuts sometimes.

Just a thought about that.... could it possibly be due to poorly written apps that use the kernel and then won't let go?

On a side note, I posted a thread several days ago about the gmail widget (not the gmail app) causing significant battery drain on my Razr. I stopped using the widget and all was well.

However, I just purchased "beautiful widgets" a couple days ago and after a day of use, my battery dropped much faster than usual. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

David

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
That was my thought about the kernel that I was hoping an app could solve for me.

As for beautiful Widgets, I'm pretty sure that was working fine for me as far as drain goes. It was a more recent app/update. Just need to get time for FDR.

Reaction score
YellowJacket said:
Just a thought about that.... could it possibly be due to poorly written apps that use the kernel and then won't let go?

On a side note, I posted a thread several days ago about the gmail widget (not the gmail app) causing significant battery drain on my Razr. I stopped using the widget and all was well.

However, I just purchased "beautiful widgets" a couple days ago and after a day of use, my battery dropped much faster than usual. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

David

Completely agree, which is why I wish we had more info on the generic kernel process. Otherwise I haven't a clue what app is running rouge.

I also assume that as more apps are updated to ICS / JB standards we'll see less of this.

Mer2112

Reaction score
Google "Play Music" was my culprit. Unchecked the "Automatically Cache" option and it's all better.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
if your not using Google player as a cloud based service (audio galaxy ftmfw) then that option is a non-issue.

luketj

Reaction score
You might try watchdog, too. It can help detect rogue apps which could be sucking up your battery life.