Random GPS Activation

Pelican

Reaction score
My phone randomly activates the GPS function, I see the flashing satellite dish in the status bar appear for no reason. I have "Advanced Task Manager" and when I cal it up to deactivate GPS, I don't see any program listed that I would expect to use GPS. The GPS has a negative effect on the battery charge and I'd like it to be on only when needed. Any ideas on what is going on?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use the stock Power Control widget, and only turn GPS on when I'm using it. That way, I don't have to worry about random apps enabling it...

jtebrak

Reaction score
I'd have to say it's being run by an app. My browser does it when I hit Google. +1 to the stock power widget.

Cool_Fire

Reaction score
None of this is really a solution though. I want GPS to be enabled, because I can't always enable it when I need to, for example when I lose it.
And I have noticed serious battery loss when getting GPS data. Like running google maps with GPS enabled vs without.

But the real question is, what is requesting my location data, and why?

AngryHatter

Reaction score
None of this is really a solution though. I want GPS to be enabled, because I can't always enable it when I need to, for example when I lose it.
And I have noticed serious battery loss when getting GPS data. Like running google maps with GPS enabled vs without.

But the real question is, what is requesting my location data, and why?

Just list all the apps installed.