RAM Issue slowing down phone

Knight of Hope

Reaction score
So I'm a relatively new owner of a Droid 2 Global, and I love it for the most part. My issue with it is that my RAM gets eaten up like there's no tomorrow. I run Advanced Task Killer Free with relatively aggressive settings, and I still have only ~50-60 MB of RAM left, making my phone run unacceptably slow. Anyway, I'm 90% sure some background system process is the culprit, but I'm not sure how to find it. I've installed Autokiller, and I like what it claims to do, but it wants me to root my phone. Doesn't that break the warranty? So far I've erred on the side of caution and not rooted my phone. Advice?

Thanks in advance! Anything you can tell me is very much appreciated!

cutiedroid

Reaction score
I have an app called Elixir. It's mainly an information app, but it doses tell you which apps run in the foreground and which one the background.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
K

Knight of Hope

Reaction score
Okay, I'm about 90% convinced. But I still have one nagging issue. See, I'm one of those users that obsessively uninstalls any app that I'm not going to use. So at least once a week, I'll go into my phone's settings and clear out what I'm not using. When I have tons of free RAM, the inner workings of my phone tend to be very quick. But when my RAM drops to around 50 MB or so, it's very sluggish. So am I wrong to think that that sluggishness is a RAM issue?

wildbill86

Reaction score
Android was designed to keep apps open in background to speeed things up. So if you delete apps, it will just keep something else open instead. It is supposed to be your most used apps open in background.

Sent from my rooted D2G

Tdank

Reaction score
Okay, I'm about 90% convinced. But I still have one nagging issue. See, I'm one of those users that obsessively uninstalls any app that I'm not going to use. So at least once a week, I'll go into my phone's settings and clear out what I'm not using. When I have tons of free RAM, the inner workings of my phone tend to be very quick. But when my RAM drops to around 50 MB or so, it's very sluggish. So am I wrong to think that that sluggishness is a RAM issue?

Try out one of the custom ROMs available for the D2G.

AngelROM seems to be the current favorite. And I can vouch for the fact it was very snappy for the few days I tried it. Even with all my apps installed and running without a reboot for 48hrs.

I am a huge fan of Fission and average around 150-200MB RAM free at any given point.

Try a few out and see what suits you best. The stock ROM is not resource friendly when compared to any of the custom ROMs available for the D2G.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
have not tried angelrom yet....but,

Fission would definitely fix your lag issues. if you do not want to root I am sadly telling you that you do indeed have to live with it.

chrisl20

Reaction score
Angel is better than fission imo, has imoseyon mods added which help move things around to open up ram(I believe by switching the cache and buffer locale) ..which seem to help alot...my battery life is twice as good as fission...and, initially, I was a fission fanboy...but now I have changed my ways... ..worth it