[Q] RAM question

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
Guys I have a RAM question, I downloaded widgetsoid, and its great. But, I have it set to show my RAM and it used to say I had ~100 MB RAM most of the time. But, my phone rebooted in my pocket today, and it said I had like 200 MB free, and its been showing that I have over 100 MB free all day. And when I go to look at running services. It says I have xxx+xxx MB available and it equals like ~250 or so MB. Is there somthing I'm not getting here or what.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global running Fission 2.4.3

OP
M

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
I just did a reboot and widgetsoid said 261 MB RAM and running services said 209+89 MB

Sent from my Droid 2 Global running Fission 2.4.3

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Best article I've seen about how Android works:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How Android Manages Processes

In Android, processes and Applications are two different things. An app can stay "running" in the background without any processes eating up your phone's resources. Android keeps the app in its memory so it launches more quickly and returns to its prior state. When your phone runs out of memory, Android will automatically start killing tasks on its own, starting with ones that you haven't used in awhile.
The problem is that Android uses RAM differently than, say, Windows. On Android, having your RAM nearly full is a good thing. It means that when you relaunch an app you've previously opened, the app launches quickly and returns to its previous state. So while Android actually uses RAM efficiently, most users see that their RAM is full and assume that's what's slowing down their phone. In reality, your CPU—which is only used by apps that are actually active—is almost always the bottleneck.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, all that means you can quit worrying about your ram.