quick question about buying this phone (or any phone in general)

0o0o0o0o0o0

Reaction score
I've had my Droid 1 for too long now and now that my contract is up, I'm planning on getting the Droid 4 today/sometime soon. I have cyanogen on my droid 1 however, and I know that if I sent it out for warranty/repairs/etc I should unroot it, but what if I'm buying a new phone? If I recall correctly they do need your old phone to transfer the number over or something? It's been a while so I'm not sure. Should I unroot before heading over to verizon? Thanks.

metalchick666

Reaction score
I just upgraded from the OG Droid to the 4 and didn't need my old phone at all. Everything synched over as soon as I signed in and I put my old memory card into the new phone.

chefboyardee

Reaction score
I just upgraded from the OG Droid to the 4 and didn't need my old phone at all. Everything synched over as soon as I signed in and I put my old memory card into the new phone.

Same for me. I didn't even turn my D1 on in the store, only took it out of my pocket to put the SD card in the D4.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
When you get your new phone turn off the old one, turn on and activate the new one. Done, its that easy. Your contacts are synced with google. On old dumb phones they would transfer them over but that's so arcane anymore :D

"Knock on the sky, and listen to the sound."

OP

0o0o0o0o0o0

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Im typing this from my d4 haha, but coming from a droid 1 for 2 years is really making it a challenge to adjust to this mew keyboard. I keep pressing 0 instead of backspace....
Also, is there w ay to backspace multiple characters at once? I know on the original droid it was alt+enter but not quite sure what combo it is now

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Unroot it voids your warranty so yes unroot before sending in.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

bishoy

Reaction score
No you won't need to unroot. They don't even need your old phone so you can just turn it off and leave it in the car. And plus, even if the did find out you were rooted, all it does is void your warranty for the rooted phone. And I'm assuming your warranty is out anyway so it won't matter if they found out

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
you don't have to turn off your old phone when activating new one. bought my wife razr maxx, she had samsung continuum. vzw reps activated new phone in front of us while i was playing with her old one.

also you don't have to unroot or do anything with the old phone. vzw doesn't care what phone you had or what you were doing with it, it's old news and no longer matters. they only care if it's your current phone and you're making warranty claim on it.