Quick and cheap anti-fingerprint trick

Sarreq Teryx

Reaction score
hate fingerprints all over your new Droid's face? don't want to spent the money or time for having a quality anti-fingerprint film shipped to you? go to local hardware store and pick up some Jig-a-Loo (orange can, with the rest of the spray lubes)

I was lubing up my door hinge and accidentally sprayed my phone (my desk is directly next to the door, before you ask), and after I wiped it up the spots with jig-a-loo on it did not take fingerprints nearly as well as the un-sprayed parts. so I tried taking it all the way.

firstly, Jig-a-Loo is "dry silicone-based lubricant that, unlike any other lubricant, contains no oil, grease, wax, petroleum distillates or detergent", so there's no chance of circuit damage, or post application ickyness.

here's what you do:

• make sure your screen is clean, get your favorite microfiber cloth, and rub thoroughly (nyuk-nyuk)
  • shut the phone off
  • spray away, pointing the straw at an angle
  • allow to dry for a minute, then wipe with that microfiber cloth again until you only see clear screen (and around the screen where drippage may have gone)
  • allow to dry for and additional 5 or 10 minutes, in case any drops went inside the casing. the spray will not damage anything, but the touchscreen may go unresponsive until it's fully dried. if you'd like to avoid that completely, just get some painter's tape and mask the screen off
  • start it back up and try it out. it's not a perfect anti-fingerprint coating, and won't protect against scratches (though the Gorilla Glass seems to be just fine on that, itself), but it's far FAR better that the raw screen, and I've also noticed my fingers glide easier (especially using Swype)
any brave souls out there? let me know how it works for you

Last edited:

Mars

Reaction score
sounds good...but also sounds risky

Mars

Reaction score
I actually googled rain x on touchscreen phones and i found this entry someone made in a samsung instinct forum:

Smudge Proof Your Display Screen!

Since I got my Instinct about a year ago or so, I have had to constantly clean the screen after almost every use because of fingerprints and smudging (with or without the screen protector).

Yesterday I was applying my yearly Rain-X protection to my truck's windshield. Just for the heck of it, I sprayed my Instinct display with the Rain-X. Since then, NO MORE fingerprints or smudges. I used the Rain-X 2-in-1 Window Cleaning & Treatment spray ($5 at WalMart), but the regular treatment should also work. It made the screen super smooth, and did not affect the functionality of the touch screen. I think this will work for almost any phone. I wish I had discovered this trick a year ago!

Reference: Rain-X® Original Glass Treatment?The Invisible Windshield Wiper

so maybe rain x might work

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spray rag then rub on screen.

HB

exactly.. that's how you do car wax, the same will apply here. do NOT spray anything near the mic or speaker, you WILL regret it. taping off the screen will work if you must spray the phone directly, but i recommend the aforementioned stuff-->rag/cloth-->screen method.

MrBaz

Reaction score
This is what I'm curious about. That stuff makes glass super slick. I don't have the balls to try it though.

Mars

Reaction score
This is what I'm curious about. That stuff makes glass super slick. I don't have the balls to try it though.

someone try it out and give us some feedback lol

jasonb

Reaction score
I just applied some Rain-x on mine. The screen is super super slick. Hopefully it helps with the smudges and fingerprints.

jasonb

Reaction score
well..............

Well when I wrote my last post I wrote it from my Droid. I have been browsing the forum for a few minutes and I see zero smudges and its still super slick. Seems to be working good. Will report back later, we'll see how long it lasts.

I sprayed some onto a paper towel like the bottle says and then buffed it off a minute later. Never sprayed anything on the phone itself, no need to.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
wow what a great tip!! when it gets daylight i'm going out to the garage to find some!! thanks!