SGP Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint Review & Application process

spazma7ik

Reaction score
Absolutely LOVELY. Went on beautifully with no bubbles or trapped dirt, though I must explain my application process. I did like most users suggested and ran a steaming hot shower and closed the doors, from here I used a sticky sheet that came with my iPod Touch screen protector that you lay on the device and then peel off to remove all dust, then cleaned all smudges with the microfiber cloth.

To put on, I simply peeled back the top end of the protector only, with the hard card thingy they give you for bubbles in my other hand, then slowly lined up the protector on the top edge and over the earpiece, from here I just squeegeed down the phone, peeling back more and more until it was on, then I got rid of all other little bubbles, and that was that! Perfectly applied!

Thoughts:

So I am very used to anti glare/fingerprint protectors, as I am totally unaccepting of the slightest smudges, so I am very accustomed to the clarity loss, but I do understand that this has been a problem with others who have purchased this protector. I can say that it is not really any worse than any other anti glare protectors, and there's hardly any rainbow effect on white screens, if any at all, which is a big improvement over the lexerd anti glare I had on before this one (we won't get into much of that, just don't ever buy it).

NO fingerprints show, it's amazing, I mean with my other one it would heavily reduce them, but they would still sort of show in direct light, here, NONE! And the matte feeling gives the best feeling and sound when swiping (or should I say Sywpe-ing) on the touch screen.

I HIGHLY recommend this protector if you want the anti-glare and no fingerprints and of course don't mind the recuction in screen clarity, and with the Droid and its beautiful screen, this can be a bit hard, but if you can sacrifice a bit, you will be extremely happy!

rjax

Reaction score
My thoughts, that I just happened to post in the Steinheil Crystal thread almost immediately before you started this thread... The Crystal thread also has good AF information.

I put on the Anti-Fingerprint protector a couple days ago and immediately noticed the blur -- but I since I really really like the way my finger never gets stuck on the protector the way it can on the glass, as well as the lack of fingerprints and anti-glare, I kept it on hoping the blur wouldn't seem so bad after a couple days.

I made my default zoom level in xScope higher, since the blur effect for me was most noticeable and most annoying when reading small text... that helped a lot. But today, even the icon text on the home screen seems fine. I have no idea if the protector "settled in" or I just got used to it, but I'm much happier than I was a couple days ago.

That said, I don't think my other big concern will go away so easily -- despite (because of?) the anti-glare feature, it's definitely and substantially harder to see the screen in bright sunlight, even with screen brightness maxed out. Which is unfortunate because I was amazed by how well the naked display could be seen in such bright conditions. I don't need to use the screen outside in bright sunlight that often... so hopefully it won't become enough of a problem that I feel like I need to remove the protector.

grimace

Reaction score
I just got my anti-fingerprint one last night & so far am really digging it.....NO annoying glare finally! When i read w/ aldiko, i have the night look on (whatever you wanna call it, black bg/white text), & it would annoy me to no end tryin' to angle it just right so I wouldn't see myself or my shirt! Bluriness is a bit of a downer, but only when reading, I used to keep it on the darkest setting, but now i just have to bump it up a touch to read well.....but well worth it!

I put it on last night after a night at the bars, so it didn't go that well....have a bubble in top left corner that won't go away & a couple specs of dust here & there, but not at all annoying yet.....when it gets to be i'll just use the second one that came in the package & be more patient than I was while still buzzed haha

Reaction score
I've been really pretty happy with the VZW screen protector, but I would rather have a protector that doesn't have the cutouts for the light sensor if the phone doesn't need those cut outs.

I love reading ebooks on my Droid and I hate cases as well as scratches. My understanding is the crystal ones are as clear or more than the VZW, but show fingerprints less? I think the AF version will be too blurry for my taste.

Has anyone ordered the Shield for full protection?

SGP Shield for Motorola Droid

This sounds great, but looking at that diagram I am tempted to buy it for the full protection it looks like it offers, yet am tempted to shy away as it looks like a royal pain to apply. Anyway, any pictures/videos and advice on the shield would be great.

Also, I saw this video of the AF version:

[video=youtube;kDzMV8Eoz5c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDzMV8Eoz5c&feature=related[/video]

He mentioned some skins that people might be interested in (personally I like plain black, but thought I would share this for others):

eBay Store ? 5starskin: Search results for.

mitchb2

Reaction score
As far as using that sticky sheet to remove particles, would you recommend using a piece of duct or packing tape to do this?

droidster22

Reaction score
I have recently changed from sgp steinheil crystal to anti-fingerprint screen protector and have a little tip to reduce the "blur everyone is talking about."
Being used to the Crystal clear, I really do miss the clear screen but I believe both of these films have their advantages. After switching to the anti-fingerprint, I no longer wipe away those annoying fingerprints + smudges ( maybe wipe away once a day ).
Anyways, I have just increased the brightness of the screen to decrease the blur and surprisingly, it has worked somewhat. I just wanted to share w/ others who were having problems with the blur.

OP
S

spazma7ik

Reaction score
As far as using that sticky sheet to remove particles, would you recommend using a piece of duct or packing tape to do this?

I don't see why not, except, maybe not duct tape because duct tape tends to leave a sticky residue on things, but packing tape might be a good idea.

Reaction score
I'm glad somebody liked the skins - I think they look neat, but I like the feel of stock in my hand too much to put them on.

I would just use scotch tape, packing tape is very sticky and I don't think you need to use anything that sticky to remove a piece of dust/dirt. I've always cleaned and cleaned and cleaned my screens before putting them on and I usually can get them to go on without resorting to tape, ymmv.

Jonpwn

Reaction score
to my understanding, this is a matte "screen protector," if you will, that eliminates fingerprints because there is no longer a glossy surface?

droidster22

Reaction score
to my understanding, this is a matte "screen protector," if you will, that eliminates fingerprints because there is no longer a glossy surface?

yes, this anti-fingerprint screen is matte and will no longer give a glossy look. If you aren't used to this type of screen protector, i suggest checking some youtube reviews out before buying them. I am used to these type of films and i guess the crystals and anti-fingerprint screen protectors have their pros and cons

chops

Reaction score
sgp product great went on easy on my droid love it i clean the fingerprints off and it feels like glass not sticky or orange peely at all