Questions, comments, and facts of SetCPU

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread for all of us Droid 2 users to post questions, comments, facts, or achievements that we have experienced or come across while installing, playing around, or using SetCPU. Haven't seen one and had a very helpful friend help me out with SetCPU and I wanted to start a thread for anyone who needs help along the way or just wants to post pictures of what SetCPU has done for you. Hope this will be helpful and remember anyone is welcome.

Sent from my rooted D2

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
aefcbec9-afab-c2c7.jpg
aefcbec9-afea-7234.jpg

Score after SetCPU was applied. Stock rom and kernal.

Sent from my rooted D2

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well all I did was just peg the processor at 1ghz and ran the two tests just to see what would happen. The quadrant score didn't change too much and the speedtest app I usually get 1700-1800 download speeds and I got over 2500 then. Just figured I would post them with the processor pegged at max.

Sent from my rooted D2

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I was totally disappointed that setcpu needs a custom kernel to mess with clock and voltage settings :/ it felt like a waste of 2 bucks.

regardless of the fact that i have a d2g and not the d2

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got the stock rom with and kernal with set cpu and I can't really mess with voltage settings either but I can underclock the processor. Like when the screen is off I got it set to 300max/300min. I can still stream music, get calls, and texts when the screen is off and I'm waitin to see how my battery life is affected when I get back down to like %10-20. Ill post a shot of battery usage when it gets low again. OCing the D2 does require a lil more customization of roms bc the stick rom with blur I don't think you can OC but correct me if I am wrong there. I also believe with slayher kernals you can overclock tho. Motorola must not want us to do a thing with the rom they put up here. Kinda limiting rom IMO

Sent from my rooted D2

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Droid Overclock by Jrummy overclocks the stock ROM, I use it on my girlfriend's D2.
SetCPU is mainly just for scaling and profiles, that's why you can't change the voltage.

I got the stock rom with and kernal with set cpu and I can't really mess with voltage settings either but I can underclock the processor. Like when the screen is off I got it set to 300max/300min. I can still stream music, get calls, and texts when the screen is off and I'm waitin to see how my battery life is affected when I get back down to like %10-20. Ill post a shot of battery usage when it gets low again. OCing the D2 does require a lil more customization of roms bc the stick rom with blur I don't think you can OC but correct me if I am wrong there. I also believe with slayher kernals you can overclock tho. Motorola must not want us to do a thing with the rom they put up here. Kinda limiting rom IMO

Sent from my rooted D2

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is a good speed to overclock the D2 at? Droid OC does the same scaling as setcpu right? Is there a way to keep setcpu as my main cpu app and have the abilty to overclock and have 1.1-1.3 on setcpu?

Sent from my rooted D2

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I have no reason to overclock unless i want to throw around bench scores. 1.2ghz is just fine for me everything flies. I just want to undervolt the lower frequency slots as much as is stable to save battery, since setcpu tells me i am in 300/600/800 more than anything else (obviously haha)

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
well kpt I don't think setcpu allows us change voltage but DD mentioned droid overclock app that will allow you too change voltage tho. Would be nice if setcpu had a voltage scaling ability included

Sent from my rooted D2

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Speed would really be phone dependant honestly so you'll just need to play around with different settings. Her's is set to lv 1.25GHz with "screen on" at 1.25GHz max/ 300MHz min (iirc) and, "screen off" at 600MHz max/300MHz min. Noticeable difference in speed and battery life dancedroid
When you use Droid Overclock, you don't need SetCPU at all. Jrummy even threw in a really cool looking widget :)

What is a good speed to overclock the D2 at? Droid OC does the same scaling as setcpu right? Is there a way to keep setcpu as my main cpu app and have the abilty to overclock and have 1.1-1.3 on setcpu?

Sent from my rooted D2

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I don't see good battery results here I may convert and see what's up with it. Did DD's posts answer your questions kpt?

Sent from my rooted D2

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does droid overclock allow you to set speeds other than 300,600,800,1000? I believe you can save a line of numbers on your sd card named SetCPU and then SetCPU will recognize those numbers can't you? Anyone know?

Sent from my rooted D2

OP
252chevyboyz

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if setcpu can be a 7 slot slider instead of 4 slot slider?

Sent from my rooted D2